After 13 years ... our beloved Internet became evil

soooo thats it.. after thirteen years of constant putting up, writing about them and always giving in because their prices were competiive , we finally had to switch out from Tek Savvy... our provider of 13 years ;cry: Tek Savvy is a cool strange company that was run by hippies in the old day.. wanted to make lower pricing home internet at a time in Quebec when only Bell was there... and the things we got...% 0.50 a gig for overage instead of 5 (:oooo: ) super cheap rates...and stories of our provider taking the big companies to the court to prove to Canadians that there was a way to be fair.  

As the years rolled by, more and more we started to see prices that we just couldnt seem to resist...and as the needle moved upwards the seething begin.  Finally, a last agent about two years ago said that this would be our last credit... that we were carrying credits on that were giving us 1.00 off for each person referred... a pleasant feeling discount of 5 bux discount per month on top of the 10 we were getting for just calling in ... but at the end of this road, finally and grounding to a stop... all gone... and us left holding a bucket for 77.00 tx in for 100 mb down

no

noooooooooooooo

nevah!

:viking:

A quick search around and we find this beautiful little "sub" brand...that's a brand that flanks its bigger brand... like Fido for Rogers or Virgin for Bell... we'd never noticed it will now but... we WERE with the prime brand... as the years went by TekSavvy never put out a sub brand... so the brand we were with all this time because the flagship and we were footing the bill.  :mafia:

Our change to Fizz has been nothing but amusing, educing and a complete relief.  Yes we're dropping down in data from 100 mb to 30 ...but I was curious to see whether we could get away with that low a use or not :devil:.

From 77 we now pay forty bux for 30 ... we also got this magnificent referral bonus for 35.00 for referring someone else's code we hunted out on the internet ... plus...and this was interesting... we had to buy our own modem for Teksavvy...they onyl use certain kinds... cost about 140 ...and it was starting to get old... Fizz provides the modem too...unlimited download and good looks!

I'm very very sad that we're going to cancel our 13 years long relationship... but not getting a single penny off what  a new customer makes is not smart or good business...loyal customers generate great revenue and loads of good will.  That good will alone will carry a significant part of your potential advertising for you.

Lookee the good stuff!!

IMG_3463.jpg

we :heart: Fizz

:gogo:

gogo

It's so interesting to me reading about having options for internet in other countries.  :wow:

We have almost total monopoly by two or three big corporations in U.S.  I can use Comcast or go without.

Good luck with the new provider.  Any way to trim expenses while keeping quality of service is a big win.  :thumbsup:

• Like! 1

At least in the U.S., cellular service providers may offer unlimited data plans and if their tower is close enough one may use the "hot spot" from the cell phone and get decent WiFi. The bandwidth will likely not be as great but it may still provide something both viable and more affordable. Boosters are available for a substantial sum (five hundred dollars and up) which may help persons who live a bit too far from a tower.

@gogoblender Congrats on the new setup, just hope you won't notice the substantial speed drop too much. We went from 50/5 to 100/10 for next to nothing and I appreciate the extra DL speed for game updates.

@Flix It's pretty much a monopoly here as well, if you're sticking to cable that is. Paying 50 bux for 100/10 here, with a tv subscription included. Not too bad. And we actually got a modem upgrade recently. Could be better with having your own modem, but for now it does the job.

• Like! 1

I hate it that it isn't a monopole any longer here. State owned and as a monopole holder they could have been forced to do cable internet to our place. Now when you ask any of tzhe providers you get a price list for connecting which has way too many digits.

So we still use a directed radio link

We had a wireless Internet provider when we where still living in Franschhoek, snowball... they started out great for the first few months, speed was good, compared to other options in the area... Fiber is/was not an option there yet, and we paid a reasonable amount for what was available otherwise... R799.00 a month. (I think it was a 20mb connection). we  only had to pay for the dish.

Then the problems started. Speed went down, a lot of days where we just did not have any connection, we could download but not upload, we could upload but not download... and they never responded, never fixed any problems and they NEVER communicated with us if there was a problem. Last year June - July I had no internet at home, because they had "upgraded the tower, and we needed a new router..." I had to contact them 3 times, the first time I was told to reset the router, I explained that I had already done that every day for the past 3 days. "leave it off for the whole day" was the reply I got. Second time I got told that I "do have internet... I am just not using the right password..." I did not change any passwords... I got home the one night after work, and the internet was not working, kept getting messages that there is not connection available... the third time, someone with brains answered the phone and said that all Snowball clients in the area was supposed to have gotten a new router... they where supposed to have contacted me 3 weeks ago to have let me know that they need to come and replace the old one... it still took them more than a week to get my internet up and running again. Still we had problems where we had to reset the router daily if not a few times a day.

Then we moved back to Stellenbosch, and they charged us ridiculous amounts to move the dish (which they then took even though we paid for it, because the complex that we moved to had a "communal dish"). We once again had the same problem. The antenna in the area was newly upgraded and we needed a new router... so I said forget it... leave it, and shove it where the sun don't shine... and went to Afrihost. Applying was as easy as 1, 2, 3 and 2 days later we had fiber that has not once given me problems and has remained stable during all hours of the day. We pay R200 less for a 40mb line.

I Hope that they provide you with good service @gogoblender

On 6/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, Flix said:

It's so interesting to me reading about having options for internet in other countries.  :wow:

We have almost total monopoly by two or three big corporations in U.S.  I can use Comcast or go without.

Good luck with the new provider.  Any way to trim expenses while keeping quality of service is a big win.  :thumbsup:

I agree with this Ben!! That's been a huge philosophy of mine... KEEP EXPENSES LOW... monthly creep as they call it is insidiuous..it attacks us in many forms... coffee, fast food, , slowly rising entertainment prices. We've been lucky because for the both of us we can get entertained from working at desktop, wiki, darkmatters, posts... it helps us from looking for hugely expensive costs like Cable that has sunk so many of my friends and relatives with 100+ a month costs... unbelievable!!

:viking:

gogo

:

On 6/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, Hooyaah said:

At least in the U.S., cellular service providers may offer unlimited data plans and if their tower is close enough one may use the "hot spot" from the cell phone and get decent WiFi. The bandwidth will likely not be as great but it may still provide something both viable and more affordable. Boosters are available for a substantial sum (five hundred dollars and up) which may help persons who live a bit too far from a tower.

My mom actually has unlimited data and phone with verizon..its a bit pricey 70.00 American a month...but it beats me having to manage her roaming everytime she wants to come visit here in Canada or head down to Mexico... ... only thing is that the hot spot speed is kinda lame ... so she's actually with Verizon Fios at home... she's in love with her cable

:lol:

gogo