How to hide the seraphim's wings

RetsReds

Here, I changed both the default and the Xmas wings, both look the same:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hope it's just the file being wonky. I've PMed Fleet, hopefully he'll see it in the next few days. I'm definitely taking this new seraphim to niob so I won't stop playing with her any time soon. :)
I'm having a lot of fun with Instill Belief, actually, I thought it'd be terrible but I'm finding a lot of uses for it. Also, I think the wiki is wrong - turned enemies do follow me around. Or, I guess that could be the patch. Either way, pretty fun skill. :)

7 minutes ago, Flix said:

Ah got it. I think it's just the texture has some information in the alpha channel that's carrying over.  See, that used to be an orange and black dragon texture.  That's what's showing up on the wings.

I'm going to be out of town on vacation so I won't be able to provide any more files for 3 days.  See if you can find a legitimate fully transparent texture, or hell make one in GIMP or Photoshop.  You may only be able to find PNG or TGA but then you can export to DDS with plugins for GIMP or Photoshop.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try tonight or tomorrow. 

Whelp, I can't say I managed to make a transparent texture... So, if Flix, Fleet or anyone else can hook me up I'll happily rename and replace all the in-game textures and more. If not, so be it, I'm still playing my new seraphim to niob. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, so, fleet gave me a working link to his original mod:
http://www.wolflore.net/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=2642

I copied the dds and gr2 files from his mod into several more folders for the genesis, sophia, sopor, and virtues sets (genesis, sopor, and virtues in mq and genesis and sophia in models - those were the ones in the original zips,).
The original mq folder in the mod also only had the std-iron vanilla set so I added the other std-s (lol), ancient, angeldust, and mystique. They had gr2 files in the models folder but not in mq, I don't know why. Here's a link to what I've got so far: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frhrnbGsTehht3DiWXJfhnAA1A8SPBwO/view?usp=sharing

I started a new seraphim to try it out, all the wings I've checked so far are properly invisible. I haven't bothered generating every single model, I'm just going through the game for now. I'll update it if I've missed something. 

• Like! 1

lq, mq, and hq folders are for maps (textures)

gr2 files would be the models (3d meshes)

I still think theoretically this could be done through textures only, but if it works, it works. Have fun!

• 4 months later...

I finally stumbled upon a set of wings I haven't managed to change - the Impressions of Sophia wings. Or rather, I've changed their model but their mq maps are still visible. I went through all the pak zips but I never found a mq\maps\heroes\seraphim\sets\sophia with maps for wings in them, just 3 files for armor in zip graphics13.

So, I created a sophia folder in my mq\maps\heroes\seraphim\sets\ and I copied the invisible .dds with a dozen of different names in the hopes of accidentally hitting the right one. It didn't work.

Does anyone know where the maps for the sophia wings are and how I should rename the .dds to make them invisible as well. I don't actually intend on using the sophia set on my current seraphim so it's no biggie but I'd like to update google drive file I linked to above.

5 hours ago, RetsReds said:

Or rather, I've changed their model but their mq maps are still visible.

This should only be possible if the surface entries for the wings are still defined in the itemtype entry.  How did you change the model?  I recommend swapping the model in the wings' itemtype entry to point it to different mesh.

Sorry, I just re-read the topic and realized what was going on.

The thing is, the various pieces of Sophia's set draw on the same .dds map.  There's no one texture for the wings; you would be required to erase just the part of the texture that covers the wings.

• Thanks! 1
6 hours ago, Flix said:

Sorry, I just re-read the topic and realized what was going on.

The thing is, the various pieces of Sophia's set draw on the same .dds map.  There's no one texture for the wings; you would be required to erase just the part of the texture that covers the wings.

I see. So, I switched the three "sophia armor" files with the invisible textures and that indeed made the wings invisible.... as well as the entire rest of the sophia set. :D

Ok, this problem is beyond me. I'll add a Read-me note in my zip to alert people about it.

Thanks!