Step up fer yer Internet Speed Test

Guest gogoblender

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is work sat inet, looks horrible. download advertised at 1.5mbit, not sure on upload. as expected, ping is crap. still better than no internet.

298294561.png

Edited by trd

I'm stunned by how fast the speeds are on cable. :P I knew that it was fast..but never realized how much faster it was. In some of your posts here, I can see the difference is a multiple instead of a percentage... :P

Thanks for the tease Ike :butcher: I'm curious now.... are ALL cable subscribers in your area getting that speed? It's more than three times mine, I've honestly never seen or even thought that kind of speed was available for residential users.

:)

gogo

Tried on a different server instead of recommended and got this ...

Unfortunately, the "Recommended Server is the one that is normally used when connecting for every day use. If there is a way to 'force' a specific server, I would like to know how ...

Gogo, I don't know who you've got your DSL with but be careful if it's Sympatico... 30gb total bandwidth monthly boosted up to 60gb for an extra $10. There are other choices that offer unlimited for similar cost (with rental ~40-45/month) although they only get up to the 5mbps rather than the 7 that Bell offers.

However if you want to pay more (~75/month with modem rental) there's unlimited Cable bandwidth (although not THAT much faster than DSL around here, videotron doesn't upgrade their lines to what a lot of places offer now) via: http://www.electronicbox.net/index.php?p=cable

I'm quite tempted... if I could afford it. Especially with the other mess Bell is making of their services (cellphones will be charged $0.15 per incoming text message as of Aug. 8th, regardless of if you want the message or not.) Yes... I need to switch things around, but I can't without using cable due to only one line per household and such.

I'm stunned by how fast the speeds are on cable. :D I knew that it was fast..but never realized how much faster it was. In some of your posts here, I can see the difference is a multiple instead of a percentage... :P

Thanks for the tease Ike :D I'm curious now.... are ALL cable subscribers in your area getting that speed? It's more than three times mine, I've honestly never seen or even thought that kind of speed was available for residential users.

:D

gogo

Gogo, while mine isnt as fast as those in the DC area, I can say where DSL is available up here the speed is average 1500 compared to my cable at over 7k, almost 8 and this is a VERY rural area. In fact where my eldest went to camp yesterday we had no cell reception at the camp nor for a 5 mile area around the camp, its that rural. And our phones use the network that has the biggest coverage up here ....

I live in the section of NH that Fairpoint doesnt have the capability yet to take over the verizon lines they bought in April yet. (they pay verizon 8.6 million a month to keep on running the lines) Its a rural network that verizon pretty much ignored and didnt do much to upgrade/improve the infrastructure of as the $$$$ arent there like in the southern part of the state and has been trying to unload for years to which ever unlucky sap they could fine --- aka Fairpoint.

Our cable used to be Adelphia (who went bankrupt when the company founders used it like a personal bank) before timewarner bought the network and I can say I dont think either adelphia or timewarner has spent alot of time or $$ upgrading over the last 5 years so the difference has existed for a long time. up here cable is much better than phone based.

Heck my connection at home is 3x as fast as the dedicated t1 line we have at the office... When I had dial up I used to dload large files at work and then flash drive them home. Now if need be I would do it in reverse, dload the large file at home and flash it to work....

• 5 weeks later...
I'm stunned by how fast the speeds are on cable. :4rofl: I knew that it was fast..but never realized how much faster it was. In some of your posts here, I can see the difference is a multiple instead of a percentage... :)

Over here cable uses fibre from their backbone to a cabinet (or something), then co-ax to the home, ADSL is usually copper (or even aluminium! :)) from the exchange to the cabinet on the street, then the same to the home, though BT have recently (ish) announced a rollout of fibre (to the tune of £1.5b), most of which is going to be to the cabinet (then copper to the home). This will significantly improve things, as it'll decrease the distance to the fibre (which used to be the distance to the exchange, but when this rollout is complete, most streets in towns have a cabinet, so the distance should decrease from god-knows-what to a mile or two at most).

• 1 month later...

Actually not a bad download speed tomi. The connection we had here at Bell for more than two years never went above 1500 download... and we were sharing a connection with two, and could both be online playing Games (Sacred 2, Guild Wars etc) with almost no problems.

Course after those few years of coming to realize we had been ripped off, a little complaining had Bell jump up our speed...finally

:o

gogo

Actually not a bad download speed tomi.

;)

gogo

LOLOLOL

Yeah...my down speed is actually between 0-16kb/sec. Ok well max 32 or so...but that's rare.

My dad just need to make a phone call and we'll have 8mbit/sec. For the same price as now. Interesting. Prices gone down, but if you use the old contract, you need to pay the old prices...

We've payed (and we still pay) 35 dollars for 1mbit/sec. And like 20 dollars for phone.

They have package: 2mbit/sec for 15 dollars. See the diff?

35 $ for 1mbit---15$for 2mbit

Bad bad guys!

Tomi, I hear you about the bad guys bein baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I can't believe how long we had that speed for. We were pretty non-plussed that we were paying for three times more bandwidth, but were only getting about a third. Good thing is, for that time, we were able to make do with it... and the even better thing is that the bandwidth was unlimited. Yee haw! Now we get about triple the speed, but we're limited to a download of 60 gigs a month. Definitely not enough, not for three guys anyway.

;)

gogo