The Borg's Sunday BBQ

Mmmmm Thanksgiving is coming up time for turkey on the rotisserie slow cooking over charcoal for a few hours and driving the neighbors wild. I just found a recipe to brine it in coffee and molasses will take pictures and give you all an up date when its done this weekend.

Doubly evil Borg, It sounds wonderful but I'm allergic to coffee.

:Just_Cuz_12::cry:

Edited by Lord of the North
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds Yummy.....please share the recipe Borg. Hubby aka Moonwatcher always smokes atleast 1 turkey breast and 1 full turkey for our family Thanksgiving dinner. I also cook 1 full Turkey in the ole oven for the dinner to get all the lovely juices for giblet gravy and the stuffing. I don't have the patience that hubby has to keep up with the smoker....lol. He will get up and going about 2 in the morning and get the coals hot we have a double smoker/grill he builds the fire in the smaller "firebox" area and adds water soaked hickory or mesquite wood chips to the coals while cooking. :Just_Cuz_12: Can bearly wait as the day is getting closer to the big "cookoff"....lol my whole family comes here for Thanksgiving and I get to have all the fun in the kitchen myself.... I don't know how to add a pic of the smoker sorry.... it is black cast iron and has a small round "firebox" and then a "large" round grill area (they are laying on their sides.) Hubby is the master of the grill and the kitchen is mine......lol

Stargazer

Late tomorrow or Monday I will hopefully post pictures of the turkey I am doing on the rotisserie tomorrow. I have it in the molasses and espresso brine right now. If it comes out good I will post the recipe if not I have a new football melodramatic7mf.gif

Edited by Borg

Not going to post the recipe Stargazer. The turkey came out really good. But using molasses and espresso as a brine did not make it any better than using a regular brine. The bird came out great, nice and moist as brined turkey does. But I think I will just use a regular brine mix since all the brining does is keep the meat or poultry moist thru the bbq-ing and apparently does not impart flavor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

During Spring break, I might add a post of my own in your wonderful section!

Everything still looks great, even though I just ate dinner. I want to eat again. I think I will. :D

Was in a local store today and saw a BBQ utensils I haven't seen befor and it was on sale - for 3.99 you cant go wrong. It helps you hang chicken drumsticks or chicken wings. So of course I bought it *lol*

GEDC0002.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit late coming back to it, but I couldn't help noticing your Weber BBQ (post#145). That really is something like the proper thing.

I thought you would cook down in the middle between the two lots of charcoal, so the rest of the post was even more fascinating. Food for thought so to speak. I must see if I can adapt my wood burning BBQ layout to something like that.

PS Last photo I saw must have been facing outwards. I got an impression of spacious garden! Or was that an old photo?

Edited by Bondbug