Trying to Play Sacred 2 Co-op with Wife

Good day all. New to forums please bare with me while I try to figure out the forum ediquitte.

So my wife and I are big time Sacred2 fans. Been playing since 360 launch and have over 2000 hrs logged. I just bought the game for p.c. and wife and I are trying to co-op. We are not making head way.

Here is where I'm at.
Sacred installed.
CMpatch patched
go to multiplayer-lan and we can see each other games but not get into each others games. Error 61. Is there certain ports we need to open or, this id all on home network and thought this should have been a simple co-op. Any suggestions where to start or what info I need to solve me issue would be huge.

Thanks in advance -jimi'ah

15 hours ago, jedijimi said:

Good day all. New to forums please bare with me while I try to figure out the forum ediquitte.

So my wife and I are big time Sacred2 fans. Been playing since 360 launch and have over 2000 hrs logged. I just bought the game for p.c. and wife and I are trying to co-op. We are not making head way.

Here is where I'm at.
Sacred installed.
CMpatch patched
go to multiplayer-lan and we can see each other games but not get into each others games. Error 61. Is there certain ports we need to open or, this id all on home network and thought this should have been a simple co-op. Any suggestions where to start or what info I need to solve me issue would be huge.

Thanks in advance -jimi'ah

Delighted seeing that you've made your way to our little Sacred universe! I remember when the game came out on 360...it was actually the port to console that made this site get crazy busy with so many players coming in from pure gaming worlds.   Re playing together, I know that there's a number of posts with people playing together online now 

And this would be the biggest discussion here which has drawn in player from years ago from closed net because now Open Net has been discovered again and reclaimed! :viking:

try this topic here:

And... welcome to DarkMatters jedijimi!!

:dance2:

gogo

Thank you for info. My spidey senses are telling me it's a port forwarding issue. I will use your links cause the one's I"ve been using aren't what you gave me. You gave me better info. I will report back with more if need.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, jedijimi said:

Thank you for info. My spidey senses are telling me it's a port forwarding issue. I will use your links cause the one's I"ve been using aren't what you gave me. You gave me better info. I will report back with more if need.

Hi @jedijimi, yes, that error is related to ports. If you are both in the same network you are correct that you should be able to play the multiplayer over "LAN", thus not needing the stuff I posted in the linked thread about actual online playing via "Open Net". Please check if the system hosting your server has an active firewall - you would have to allow sacred2.exe or the dedicated s2gs.exe there. For testing purposes, you can also just deactivate the firewall on the host (prefered solution would of course be to allow only the sacred2 gameserver ;)). Also, some Antivirus- software tends to bring it's own firewall, if you have one installed on the host it's worth to look into the control panel there, too. By default your game should be accessible over port 7011 or whichever you have selected instead.

Are you on windows 10? These instructions should do it for you (first link I found, but looks fine ;)), on step 5. select "UDP" and the local port "7011" if your issues are related to the windows firewall. You will probably need to restart the game/server before these changed rules apply.

• Appreciation 1

Ok so when I try to make a multiplayer game. Should I manually be launching 's2gs.exe' via cmd prompt?
Also thx for link on port.

Steps I take.
1. launch sacred2 as admin
2. enter multiplayer
3. select 'Lan'
4. create game
5. wife launches and sees game to join tries joining. Connection error 10

I will now attempt opening 7011 port. So my pc should always create game cause of open port? I will open hers as well to try to further my success.

Your list of steps seems fine to me.
But error code 10 now, not 61 anymore? I dont know this one, are there any more infos about it?
In this old thread here they were discussing about Avast, which would fit to the assumption of an issue with an antivirus software.
If you have one running, please see if you can tempory turn it of for testing.
Otherwise, if it still will not run, I would check that you both...
    - are actually able to start the game in singleplayer (to ensure no one has a broken installation which causes the issue)
    - that you both have the same game version (I.e., both downloaded the same version of the cm patch)
    - if you have bought it on steam, verify your game files to be sure, you have no version differences because of file errors occured on downloading

Also, you can open the commandline (Press Windows+R keys, enter "cmd.exe") and use the telnet command on the client pc like this:
"telnet IP_OF_HOST 7011"
to verify that your client computer is allowed to actually connect to the host pc (success is either an empty console screen or something like "Escape char is ^", failure would be indicated by a message like "connect failed/refused"). If this command succeeds, the client should also be able to connect to a server, if it does not, it is related to a firewall for sure.

Edited by xrystal
7 minutes ago, xrystal said:

Your list of steps seems fine to me.
But error code 10 now, not 61 anymore? I dont know this one, are there any more infos about it?
In this old thread here they were discussing about Avast, which would fit to the assumption of an issue with an antivirus software.
If you have one running, please see if you can tempory turn it of for testing.
Otherwise, if it still will not run, I would check that you both...
    - are actually able to start the game in singleplayer (to ensure the client)
    - that you both have the same game version (I.e., both downloaded the same version of the cm patch)
    - if you have bought it on steam, verify your game files to be sure, you have no version differences because of file errors occured on downloading

Also, you can open the commandline (Press Windows+R keys, enter "cmd.exe") and use the telnet command on the client pc like this:
"telnet IP_OF_HOST 7011"
to verify that your client computer is allowed to actually connect to the host pc (success is either an empty console screen or something like "Escape char is ^", failure would be indicated by a message like "connect failed/refused"). If this command succeeds, the client should also be able to connect to a server, if it does not, it is related to a firewall for sure.

Well I'm installing telenet client on both machines, Fingers are crossed here.

• 1 month later...

So here we are 1 month later. I just got my wife and I to LAN play in our house yesterday.
What was the issue,
     1. Needed files on wife's p.c. verified with 103 files needed re download. (lesson learned with verification)
     2. Enabled my router use ipv6, so ipv4 could use LAN. (this is what I think, unsure if actual fix occured in this step)
At any rate we are playing Sacred2 for the first time on P.C. with the great CM patch. Thank you all for your hard efforts with this game Dev and Mod teams.

• Like! 1
13 hours ago, jedijimi said:

So here we are 1 month later. I just got my wife and I to LAN play in our house yesterday.
What was the issue,
     1. Needed files on wife's p.c. verified with 103 files needed re download. (lesson learned with verification)
     2. Enabled my router use ipv6, so ipv4 could use LAN. (this is what I think, unsure if actual fix occured in this step)
At any rate we are playing Sacred2 for the first time on P.C. with the great CM patch. Thank you all for your hard efforts with this game Dev and Mod teams.

Bravo for you and your wife jedijimi...  delighted that the worlds best community here was able to help start off your adventures in 
Ancaria...

Adventure on!

:d_dance:

gogo

Thanks for the welcome! I have been playing this since launch on 360. 2400 hrs logged. Now on P.C., it is an all new experience for me.
level 15 tonight on a fire caster high elf. This will be first level 200 toon I build. Can't wait to see results in PC version.
Thanks again all.

:D

On 10/30/2020 at 8:03 PM, jedijimi said:

Thanks for the welcome! I have been playing this since launch on 360. 2400 hrs logged. Now on P.C., it is an all new experience for me.

Holee molee!

lol jeijimi... you're a true fan!

looooooooooooooots of hours 

:starwars: 

gogo

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Holee molee!

lol jeijimi... you're a true fan!

looooooooooooooots of hours 

:starwars: 

gogo

Yeah, it's alot but not alot. Remember that is 'all game time'. 8 char at avg 300 hrs each. A couple with more or less than others.
That's also all the time I spent reading books, or looking at my skills, or determining whats better 'fire dmg vs spell intensity', things like that. So it is alot of hours but all in all not really. Wife is clocked around the same. What's truly great about this game, is out of 6 high elves, not one is same. I go in with high dmg in mind, but each build is different.