The Great Pumpkin has arrived! DarkMatters, Spooky Avatars Halloween Party!!

On 10/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, Delta! said:

So I also got a scary halloween avatar.

Scream was a movie that I watched just after it released, my sister had a party at our house and invited a few friends over. I was actually not old enough, I was only 9years old, but wanted to watch it... BIIIGGGG mistake. It terrified me for years. For a few months afterwards, I could not sleep alone in my own bed, I would go and sleep on the floor in my middle sisters bedroom, I was convinced that the killer is looking for me and ONLY me... I eventually got over it and have watched all the movies in the franchise.

hahahah ...theuns now thats a haloween story!... from inception to maturity...it had its hooks in for you for years :blink: yeeks

heh so glad its gone the way of childish yarns and... by placing his head in your avatar slot.. you now PWN him.. and no spell breaks that ever,,,

E V A H!

:mafia:

• Thanks! 1
17 hours ago, Androdion said:

Speaking of drinks, a Portuguese muscat wine won the the gold medal on the Muscats du Monde 2020 edition. It's sold for 20€ (bought it for 15€) and as I'm trying it for the first time I can assure all of you that it's really worth its price. It's bloody incredible! :o

image.jpg.a97948d37effd7f8fbdb32c0d4946abd.jpg

Ill save that in my food lists.. wines, chocolates, food, spirits... good stuff to get some day :heart:

:D

gogo

18 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

You  know, until now Id never paid attention to the geography... only price and max drunk per bottle :lol:   I feel a mini project building up... maybe buy two at a time from a region and start taking notes? 

this sounds like an adorable project!

:heart:

gogo

That looks like a project indeed. Be sure to check the type of vines from which the wines are made, so that you don't end up with all from the same type of vine. In layman's terms, each type of grape has a different flavour profile so different grapes equals different wines. Even more so, depending on the production values even wines with the same grapes can taste totally differently. We've had that experience recently with the Douro wines.

And don't wait until you're old to do it, just go with it and experience. Otherwise your liver may not enjoy it very much at an older age. :D

• Haha 1

I fear that global warming will make an end to my preferred wine: Riesling Eiswein / ice wine. Waiting till first frost for the harvest gets harder and harder. Only 6% alcohol but very high on fruit acids for taste.

BOO! ... sorry

Late to the topic but I'm here with my creepy avatar. I was tempted to go with what my brain tumour did to me haha but thought instead I'd be lighter hearted with a picture of one of my favourite shows from when I was a kid. Trapdoor. I own the full set on DVD and it's amazing.

Halloween films... I'm rubbish with films but I do love 80s films. Halloween ones have to be super cheesy. Evil Dead, Halloween, Brain Dead... that sort of thing.  I don't get scared by films at all though. The only one that ever managed it (and still does) is Arachnophobia. I hate spiders and I can see that film happening so easily! Eight Legged Freaks didn't scare me as it's too over the top (and is meant to be of course). Fun fact - for ages I refused to go near certain places in Sacred because the flat, brown, hairy spiders in it were too realistic looking. Only game to ever successfully creep me out with a spider. Pokemon Ruby managed it with the ghost tower music too though. Always had to switch the sound off when I went to that area.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, Androdion said:

That looks like a project indeed. Be sure to check the type of vines from which the wines are made, so that you don't end up with all from the same type of vine. In layman's terms, each type of grape has a different flavour profile so different grapes equals different wines. Even more so, depending on the production values even wines with the same grapes can taste totally differently. We've had that experience recently with the Douro wines.

And don't wait until you're old to do it, just go with it and experience. Otherwise your liver may not enjoy it very much at an older age. :D

14 hours ago, chattius said:

I fear that global warming will make an end to my preferred wine: Riesling Eiswein / ice wine. Waiting till first frost for the harvest gets harder and harder. Only 6% alcohol but very high on fruit acids for taste.

halloooooo! and...

yeeks!  psst Chattius... this is a costume ball for halloween :D... from you getting back from the country the invite must have gotten lost... simply reach into that magic *tickle trunk* as mister Dressup would  do here in montreal when I was a kid...surely something wonderous and personal for you shall shoot out!
:bounce:

:wizard:

gogo

14 hours ago, pevil said:

BOO! ... sorry

Late to the topic but I'm here with my creepy avatar. I was tempted to go with what my brain tumour did to me haha but thought instead I'd be lighter hearted with a picture of one of my favourite shows from when I was a kid. Trapdoor. I own the full set on DVD and it's amazing.

Halloween films... I'm rubbish with films but I do love 80s films. Halloween ones have to be super cheesy. Evil Dead, Halloween, Brain Dead... that sort of thing.  I don't get scared by films at all though. The only one that ever managed it (and still does) is Arachnophobia. I hate spiders and I can see that film happening so easily! Eight Legged Freaks didn't scare me as it's too over the top (and is meant to be of course). Fun fact - for ages I refused to go near certain places in Sacred because the flat, brown, hairy spiders in it were too realistic looking. Only game to ever successfully creep me out with a spider. Pokemon Ruby managed it with the ghost tower music too though. Always had to switch the sound off when I went to that area.

Arachnophobia is a wonderful film to bring up about Halloween.  Great effects, lots of deaths, and creepy bodies all tied up nicely christmas presents for their coming eaters :lol: Yeh... a bit gristly huh :D

It's awesome to have you hear at the party dahlin... do do a dipper of that brackish stuff... noone knows whats in it actually but they do laugh awfully loud after!

:devil:

gogo

On 10/17/2020 at 7:59 PM, Androdion said:

Speaking of drinks, a Portuguese muscat wine won the the gold medal on the Muscats du Monde 2020 edition. It's sold for 20€ (bought it for 15€) and as I'm trying it for the first time I can assure all of you that it's really worth its price. It's bloody incredible! :o

image.jpg.a97948d37effd7f8fbdb32c0d4946abd.jpg

Got it! took your rec and tracked down portugues wines at the SAQ (licenced alcohol center) and..it seems theres two.... any that youd recommend? welll go get one this week :drool:

https://www.saq.com/en/products/port-and-fortified-wine/muscat/moscatel-de-setubal

:drunkards:

gogo

On 10/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, Delta! said:

So I also got a scary halloween avatar.

Scream was a movie that I watched just after it released, my sister had a party at our house and invited a few friends over. I was actually not old enough, I was only 9years old, but wanted to watch it... BIIIGGGG mistake. It terrified me for years. For a few months afterwards, I could not sleep alone in my own bed, I would go and sleep on the floor in my middle sisters bedroom, I was convinced that the killer is looking for me and ONLY me... I eventually got over it and have watched all the movies in the franchise.

The melting face is iconic.  instantly reconizable and so mimivced... the franchise is so successful and its because they were clever and had picked a good cast

a rarely seen perfect mix of horror and comedy

:oooo:

gogo

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

halloooooo! and...

yeeks!  psst Chattius... this is a costume ball for halloween :D... from you getting back from the country the invite must have gotten lost... simply reach into that magic *tickle trunk* as mister Dressup would  do here in montreal when I was a kid...surely something wonderous and personal for you shall shoot out!
:bounce:

:wizard:

gogo

In my area several things collide:

No halloween but reformation day, which is a day in silence to remember Martin Luther's reformation of the church.

We don't grow pumpkins in our area. But we have a centuries year old tradition to make faces from fodder beets with a light source in. In our slang they are called 'Gloihniche Deuwel' = glowing devils. Fodder beets were the last thing to be harvested. They could be stored in holes dug into small hills and covered with stray. So there was always some food for the caddle at strong winters. Before putting the beets into storage kids searched the best ones for making faces. Interesting shapes and roots make kids creativ to see the hidden faces. Last harvest however was not fixed to a day. But since everyone was happy to have all the harvest done kids could await some presents when walking from house to house with lightened faces from beets. There are no costumes at the glowing devils walk, this is a difference to halloween. We still grow fodder beets for the glowing devils. The leftovers from carving  make the horses happy.

Our beets are still in the earth for some weeks.

In even older times the glowing devils were placed before the house at start of autumn to keep the winter ghosts away.

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Got it! took your rec and tracked down portugues wines at the SAQ (licenced alcohol center) and..it seems theres two.... any that youd recommend? welll go get one this week :drool:

https://www.saq.com/en/products/port-and-fortified-wine/muscat/moscatel-de-setubal

gogo

I'd definitely go with the Bacalhôa muscat. It's a well renowned brand here, though I'm more partial to either Jose Maria da Fonseca or Venancio da Costa Lima. But Bacalhôa is very good nonetheless. There's a huge difference between muscat made from white grapes and from a rarer variant which are purple grapes. We call purple "roxo" in Portuguese, so if you ever find one of those grab it. You'll know the difference once you taste it.

Are those prices in Canadian dollars? If so they're decently priced.

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

I'd definitely go with the Bacalhôa muscat. It's a well renowned brand here, though I'm more partial to either Jose Maria da Fonseca or Venancio da Costa Lima. But Bacalhôa is very good nonetheless. There's a huge difference between muscat made from white grapes and from a rarer variant which are purple grapes. We call purple "roxo" in Portuguese, so if you ever find one of those grab it. You'll know the difference once you taste it.

Are those prices in Canadian dollars? If so they're decently priced.

yes they are in CAD... dang im stoked...getting some tonight!

gogo

On 10/18/2020 at 12:44 PM, gogoblender said:

I have glasses

Ikea

...working on them... ! soon as pandemic over, gonna look for those massive balloon things...

monster drinking!

:viking:

gogo

"monster drinking", I think this smilie is closer.  :pitcher:

• Haha 1
On 10/15/2020 at 7:04 PM, Androdion said:

I'm curious though, do you guys in North America ever find Portuguese wines for sale other than Port Wine? I mean red, white, rosé and the likes of it.

Well honestly nope.  I didn't even know Portugal had wines to boast of.  I always think of France when I think of wine.

BUT.  I admit I am strictly a beer drinker.  :lujate: The darker the better.  I know precious little about wine.  In fact I probably know more about the fictitious wineries of Touissant (from The Witcher 3) than I do the real world.  The only wine cellar I ever built was in Corvo Bianco.

• Haha 1

Must depend on country. When I think of Wein I think of the Rhein, wine and Rhine river. Forests on one side, wineyards on the others and every mile a castle. When I was a school kid Bonn at the Rhine was still capitol of then West Germany and our class did a boat trip on the rhine. Starting visiting the parliament at Bonn, visit Betthoven's birthplace... and it ended at one of the many pubs in Düsseldorf with lot of singing. Our class teacher was a music teacher ;)

bingen_rhein-8995.jpg

I am a big fan of country wine, fruit wine, Fruchtwein, ... or whatever the local food laws allow to name it. Selfmade from local fruits. We make like 5 litres a week.

Mainly as a base for vinegar, marinades, for sauces, refreshing summer drink (quarter fruit wine, three quarters sparkling water), mulled fruit wine with spices for cold winter months, special heavy ones for being drunk like wine, most go as birthday presents, ....

The ones for drinking are my own recipes riped in 25 years of trying the local fruits. Quinces, plums, sloes, elderberries, apple and pears, Mespilus germanica (common medlar?), Speierlings (little spitter, sorb tree fruits), blue berries, ...

We have several big glas bottles or nowadays plastic ones for it...

346px-Homebrew_Airlock.jpg

• Like! 1
22 hours ago, Androdion said:

That's like 7€ when it's sold here for 5€. Not a bad price at all given that it's an overseas import. :)

Hear you on the price... we have a SAQ right down the street from us and I will pick it up tonight

gogo

Popping in with a random question now for you all. How popular is Halloween in your country?

I'm in England and it's certainly grown more popular here but when I was a kid (36 now) it wasn't very popular. Maybe due to living in a village and my parents running the village shop so I never did trick or treat, never got dressed up for it or anything. It's really never been big on my radar. Even when we moved to the nearby town when I was 10 we didn't celebrate though of course if anyone knocked they'd get treats, but again, very few would come round. Maybe 3 or 4 groups of younger kids and then usually only if they were staying with their grandparents in one of the roads around us. It's tough to guage even as an adult how popular it is now. You see more decorations in card shops for sale for it but I don't really notice anything else. No clue how many kids trick or treat as we live in a huge block of flats so they can't get to us unless they live here ;) Safety! haha.

• Appreciation 1
On 10/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, Androdion said:

That's like 7€ when it's sold here for 5€. Not a bad price at all given that it's an overseas import. :)

I went to the local SAQ near us down the street (thats the word we use for the alcohol store run by Provincial Govt ) and... dont have! but the one downtown has a small run that it keeps in stock... this weekend will try to get to it 

:viking:

gogo

On 10/19/2020 at 10:30 PM, Flix said:

Well honestly nope.  I didn't even know Portugal had wines to boast of.  I always think of France when I think of wine.

BUT.  I admit I am strictly a beer drinker.  :lujate: The darker the better.  I know precious little about wine.  In fact I probably know more about the fictitious wineries of Touissant (from The Witcher 3) than I do the real world.  The only wine cellar I ever built was in Corvo Bianco.

I was in Ireland for a month Ben, we did a month of backpacking from pub to pub... our main purpose in that brilliant country was to enjoy the food, drink and just hang out with partyers :lol:  Does Guiness on tap at every bar and even laundromats and repair shops suit your fancy?

gogo

On 10/20/2020 at 3:18 AM, chattius said:

Must depend on country. When I think of Wein I think of the Rhein, wine and Rhine river. Forests on one side, wineyards on the others and every mile a castle. When I was a school kid Bonn at the Rhine was still capitol of then West Germany and our class did a boat trip on the rhine. Starting visiting the parliament at Bonn, visit Betthoven's birthplace... and it ended at one of the many pubs in Düsseldorf with lot of singing. Our class teacher was a music teacher ;)

bingen_rhein-8995.jpg

I am a big fan of country wine, fruit wine, Fruchtwein, ... or whatever the local food laws allow to name it. Selfmade from local fruits. We make like 5 litres a week.

Mainly as a base for vinegar, marinades, for sauces, refreshing summer drink (quarter fruit wine, three quarters sparkling water), mulled fruit wine with spices for cold winter months, special heavy ones for being drunk like wine, most go as birthday presents, ....

The ones for drinking are my own recipes riped in 25 years of trying the local fruits. Quinces, plums, sloes, elderberries, apple and pears, Mespilus germanica (common medlar?), Speierlings (little spitter, sorb tree fruits), blue berries, ...

We have several big glas bottles or nowadays plastic ones for it...

346px-Homebrew_Airlock.jpg

Chattius... the BEST part of your post ( for me :D ) was your use of the word Quince.... 

you always finesse food!!

:hugs:

gogo

1 hour ago, pevil said:

Popping in with a random question now for you all. How popular is Halloween in your country?

I'm in England and it's certainly grown more popular here but when I was a kid (36 now) it wasn't very popular. Maybe due to living in a village and my parents running the village shop so I never did trick or treat, never got dressed up for it or anything. It's really never been big on my radar. Even when we moved to the nearby town when I was 10 we didn't celebrate though of course if anyone knocked they'd get treats, but again, very few would come round. Maybe 3 or 4 groups of younger kids and then usually only if they were staying with their grandparents in one of the roads around us. It's tough to guage even as an adult how popular it is now. You see more decorations in card shops for sale for it but I don't really notice anything else. No clue how many kids trick or treat as we live in a huge block of flats so they can't get to us unless they live here ;) Safety! haha.

Its still hugely huge over here Pevil...but of course with Covid, the ranks of children running wild through the homes has dwindled.  In fact this year the Premier has asked that all treats handed out at doors be wrapped and hygienically proper, and that only one child be allowed per visit. When I was a kid, Halloween was HUGE... I remember even going mad on decorating our house when I got a tad too big to trick or treat...and put in lightbning strokes, graveyards all kinds of spookies!

:oooo:

gogo

31th of Octobre used to be Reformation Day in Hesse (Germany). It used to be a silent(!!!) public holiday. Dancing, parties and all this are not allowed on silent public holidays. After reunion of Germany german government decided that west german states had to delete some public holidays to pay the costs for re-union. So in Hesse Reformation day was no longer an official public holiday. But still lutherian churches are opened the day and older people visit them. The law was never withdrewn so Hesse still has less holidays than other states.

With no longer a silent day halloween slowly started in towns. Towns were more mixed in religions than countryside where even after 400 years people had more or less the same religion as there earls and barons in the Thirty Years Religious War between 1618 and 1648. In this war 60% of the German people died. Actually our house, with barns and fields was a former village totally destroyed in this war. So 1648 the local earl was Lutherian and so are the people today in the area (90%).

However we had and have similiar traditions with beet carving and kids walking from door to door for centuries.

14 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Chattius... the BEST part of your post ( for me :D ) was your use of the word Quince.... 

you always finesse food!!

:hugs:

gogo

My grandma did the two quinces trees or better BIG bushes for their blossoms in spring and bright yellow fruits in autumn. Our oldest studies arboristic and tries to keep them alive.

When harvesting: imagine a big heavy fruit with 120*90mm size and some 7 metres above ground. The fruit has no stem. It is directly connected to the branch. Picking near ground is easy, But trying to move a fruit picker on a 5 metre telescope pole between fruit and branch is tricky. And if not carefully fruits will fall all the 7metres accellerating, with a weight often a bit more than a pound ;)

But yes quinces are nice, juice, wine, liqueur, tartes, or going mediterran: lamb with roasted spiced quinces....

35 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

I was in Ireland for a month Ben, we did a month of backpacking from pub to pub... our main purpose in that brilliant country was to enjoy the food, drink and just hang out with partyers :lol:  Does Guiness on tap at every bar and even laundromats and repair shops suit your fancy?

gogo

YES.  Oh definitely a great memory of that last visit to the UK in 2007 was the Guinness that flowed like water.  And it somehow tasted so much better than what we get imported here in the States.

• Like! 1