Commentary on D.a.r.k. Safari, Treasure Hunt and Silly Messages

hahah, yer right..it IS gremlins..you beat me to it myles!

And hey...yer supposed to be in bed you!

*goes back to silly message slot maching addiction*

urgh...seven REady's in a row.

nooooooooooooooo!!

:rolleyes:

gogo

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hha, too late man..lol, I got that one yesterday!

muhahah

:)

gogo

p.s. do you guys think they add to this as time goes by?

Is this possible?

:o

"Are you the Blue Fairy?"

Its Pinocchio all right, unless someone think of another blue fairy. :)

But how should I credit it? As book? As Movie? As TV Show? As Radio Show? As Fable? :)

"Are you the Blue Fairy?"

Its Pinocchio all right, unless someone think of another blue fairy. :)

That line is in Artificial Intelligence: AI (movie) too. But it's originaly from pinocchio.

p.s. do you guys think they add to this as time goes by?

Is this possible?

Only with patches I think gogo, I get them sometimes in LAN mode too and I don't think that connects to the servers at all so the list would have to be stored in the local files. Oddly enough I don't get them all the time in LAN - I started to think this morning when I was confirming it that I was confused because several loads in a row didn't show any. Makes me wonder if they'll come up during SP loads too sometimes, but I don't have enough time right now to test it.

The first one I added this morning (Return of the funny messages!) was definitely a reference to the time they were pulled out because people thought they were making the games crash, and if the second one is a reference (This line is empty.) I don't recognize it.

ahh, of course Carolyn you rembmer those times huh? It's a super cool piece of our history and in retrospect has a nostalgic value, though during those times, heh (thank god I wans't one of them :ninja:) the people that were completely beset by bugs were so...cranky :)

Blue Fairy...hah!...Myles it is from AI, but Obsession got to telling you this first!

grrrrrrrr

now here is the thing...the concept of the blue fairy obviously exists in both book and movie...but did pinochio REALLY say that line in the book?

In all my life I really don't think I've met anyone who's actually READ Pinochio...except for the fisherprice titles on viewmaster reels

:o

gogo

p.s. ugh..you guys finding that blue fairy line from this game has turned this silly message thing into a fascination that is quickly getting to be on par with my fascination for gore. :o

In all my life I really don't think I've met anyone who's actually READ Pinochio...except for the fisherprice titles on viewmaster reels

gogo

Meanie! Well I read it for one. :ninja:

I don't remember a line like that in it though, so I suppose they ARE quoting the AI.

really myles...are you sher you read it?

I for one, had thought I had, as well. But the version I had read was a truncated version with ez-wash covers that was in my bathroom with a collection of other books!

:ninja:

gogo

now here is the thing...the concept of the blue fairy obviously exists in both book and movie...but did pinochio REALLY say that line in the book?

p.s. ugh..you guys finding that blue fairy line from this game has turned this silly message thing into a fascination that is quickly getting to be on par with my fascination for gore. :4rofl:[/color]

Ok, I'm sure I read it but I'm old and it was forever ago, so I resorted to my old pal google. If Wiki's comments on the matter are to be believed, it did exist in the book (dang, now I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the original serial. I just love the old grim Grimm's stories, before they were kiddied up by Disney & the like):
Collodi originally had not intended the novel as children's literature; the ending was unhappy and allegorically dealt with serious themes. In the original, serialized version, Pinocchio dies a gruesome death — hanged for his innumerable faults, at the end of Chapter 15. At the request of his editor, Collodi added chapters 16–36, in which the "Blue Fairy" (as the Disney version names her) rescues Pinocchio and eventually transforms him into a real boy, when he acquires a deeper understanding of himself, making the story suitable for children. In the second half of the book, the maternal figure of the Blue Fairy is the dominant character, versus the paternal figure of Geppetto, in the first part.

Edit: Ahhhh, but wait, there's more! I found the entry fascinating so as I read I discovered that while she existed in the novel, that's not what she was apparently called, based on this quote under Derivative Works:

The Disney animated film Pinocchio (released February 7, 1940), although a free interpretation of the Collodi story, is considered a masterpiece of the art of animation, and was deemed culturally significant by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. It is this version that first refers to the principal female character as the "Blue Fairy".
Edited by Carolyn Hacker

Um the mystery continue on the blue fairy :drunkards: , I will leave it under debate atm :crazy:

"Recruiting Monsters..."

My thought is Monsters, Inc.

Anybody can think of a movie with this as a quote?

In an effort to settle the blue fairy quote, I watched AI again. :4rofl:

( ;) )

There is no direct quote like it at all. The closest is "Are you her?"

But Carolyn has raised the point of the character name, um maybe I should go book hunt too now? :D

;)

Myles...no WAY...you have got to be kidding me...

Sacred actually said that to you?

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. too bad about the movie thing...guess it's pinochio after all huh...occam's razor?

p.s.s. Carolyn...I had no idea you were such a literary fanatic! :D

"Recruiting Monsters..."

My thought is Monsters, Inc.

Anybody can think of a movie with this as a quote?

Maybe they were trying to get rid of this grave text?
"The game apologizes for the fact that it was unable to place a monster here. The NPC job market is currently undergoing a crisis."
I couldn't find a movie quote (maybe I just didn't look long enough), but it is a phrase that seems to come up often with games in general.

Edit: New info edited in to avoid double posting :yay:

Bite my shiny metal ass
This is Bender from Futurama, but isn't it typed "@ss" on the message line? It's been a while since I've gotten it so maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Do you feel lucky, punk?
This one is interesting because it's usually attributed to Clint Eastwood in the film Dirty Harry, but the quote is actually “You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?” Edited by Carolyn Hacker

Huh, huh? He said loading...

I think the above message is from Beavis and Butthead. They go hehehe a lot, and one of them says the part in the second line.

Are you the Blue Fairy?

The above line definitely occurs in the A.I. movie, but it's also in Pinocchio(sp?).

I know one other message is: Checking user I.Q.

Edited by DaveO

Heya Dave!

I moved your commentary post onto the official commentary thread to keep all the info together with the other commentary. That Tuck Pendleton is is being kept only for new messages that peeps find and we keep adding new posts that we see added to that thread to the index.

Thanks for the heads up on the beavis!

:D

gogo

Do you feel lucky, punk?
This one is interesting because it's usually attributed to Clint Eastwood in the film Dirty Harry, but the quote is actually “You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?”

Jim Carrey actually said this in The Mask, in a Clint Eastwood imitation

Also, "1.21 Gigawatts? Great Scott!" is from Back to the Future (when Emmit finds out how much energy his machine requires) Mr. Scott, of course, was in the original Star Trek series

it's late and I was just checkin one last time.. and suddenly I had it in my mind that I recall seeing a funny messsage long time ago.

there is no spoon ( obviously that's the matrix )

but I didn't post it in the official thread because I'm not 100% sure of it if this does ring a bell with more people we might consider adding it.. but as I said.. it's a long time ago

Edited by DreDBanGeR

lol, Carolyn, he's good with the references huh :P

Gial, good goin with the info on Jim Carey! I'll put it in asap ^^

Dredd, that quote sounds cool, but I haven't seen it either. I'll add it to my messages to watch for, and if one of sees it then we gots confirmation folks!

gogo

"X never, ever, marks the spot"

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

"He's dead, Jim!"

I know sacry movie 2 has something like this, but its probably a spoof from another movie, um :superman:

"He's dead, Jim!"

I know sacry movie 2 has something like this, but its probably a spoof from another movie, um :superman:

Star Trek, the original series.

Bones would take out his tricorder and listen for a second, then say this about the redshirt that was just killed.