Mounted Shadow Warrior with ranged weapon - Scything Sweep animation bug

gioloos

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. First, I'd like to thank the CM-patch team and everyone in this awesome community for keeping this game alive and fresh. You do amazing work.

Now for the issue at hand: Specifically when using scything sweep, my ranged shadow warrior's hellhound attack animation is by standing on its two hind legs, the same as when doing a melee attack. I noticed the same behavior using the two ranged weapons I tested (2h energy weapon and a throwing potion), while all other CAs used the much shorter ranged attack animation. While obviously not game-breaking, the longer animation is much slower, and definitely makes the hellhound much less useful for fighting.

By chance, I had recently seen this interesting tidbit in the CM 1.60 announcements:

"Shadow Warrior now uses correct animations when using Demonic Blow with ranged weapons while mounted on the Hellhound.  How was this never caught until now?  Maybe not a lot of mounted, ranged, Shadow Warriors out there.  The animations were scripted properly, but the animation files themselves were missing!  I had to rename some basic ranged attack animations to repurpose them for use with Demonic Blow."

Source: 

So is it possible that CM 1.60 changed the behavior of demonic blow, but not scything sweep, for mounted shadow warriors with ranged weapons? Or is this intended and I'm entirely missing something here?

Specs: Sacred 2 2.65.2 build 1837. CM 1.60, no other mods installed. Windows 10. Screenshot below: hellhound standing on two legs while preparing to fire scything sweep with Testa's Annihilator. 

Thank you in advance!

big_0001.thumb.jpg.a47a78a964f5d1be76d0eed043265233.jpg

• Like! 1

Hello and thanks for writing back!

Well, here's the thing: there are two animations at work for mounted combat arts.

There's the hero's animation, then separately, there is the mount's animation.  The hero's animation can be changed based on each weapon type.  This is how Demonic Blow was fixed.  The mount's animation, on the other hand, is the same for all weapon types used with that particular combat art.

And I think what you're having an issue with is the mount's animation.  So, it could be changed, but it would be changed for all weapons when using Scything Sweep.  That's not to say anything would be broken if we changed it (with some tweaking), but... we would just basically lose an animation - the Hellhound rearing up and slamming down would no longer be used at all.

I'll run some tests see if I can't think of some way to optimize it for Enhanced Edition.

• Like! 1
  • The title was changed to Mounted Shadow Warrior with ranged weapon - Scything Sweep animation bug
8 hours ago, gioloos said:

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. First, I'd like to thank the CM-patch team and everyone in this awesome community for keeping this game alive and fresh. You do amazing work.

Now for the issue at hand: Specifically when using scything sweep, my ranged shadow warrior's hellhound attack animation is by standing on its two hind legs, the same as when doing a melee attack. I noticed the same behavior using the two ranged weapons I tested (2h energy weapon and a throwing potion), while all other CAs used the much shorter ranged attack animation. While obviously not game-breaking, the longer animation is much slower, and definitely makes the hellhound much less useful for fighting.

By chance, I had recently seen this interesting tidbit in the CM 1.60 announcements:

"Shadow Warrior now uses correct animations when using Demonic Blow with ranged weapons while mounted on the Hellhound.  How was this never caught until now?  Maybe not a lot of mounted, ranged, Shadow Warriors out there.  The animations were scripted properly, but the animation files themselves were missing!  I had to rename some basic ranged attack animations to repurpose them for use with Demonic Blow."

Source: 

So is it possible that CM 1.60 changed the behavior of demonic blow, but not scything sweep, for mounted shadow warriors with ranged weapons? Or is this intended and I'm entirely missing something here?

Specs: Sacred 2 2.65.2 build 1837. CM 1.60, no other mods installed. Windows 10. Screenshot below: hellhound standing on two legs while preparing to fire scything sweep with Testa's Annihilator. 

Thank you in advance!

big_0001.thumb.jpg.a47a78a964f5d1be76d0eed043265233.jpg

And... awesome meeting up gioloos, enjoy the game and welcome to the forums!

:)

gogo

13 hours ago, Flix said:

Hello and thanks for writing back!

Well, here's the thing: there are two animations at work for mounted combat arts.

There's the hero's animation, then separately, there is the mount's animation.  The hero's animation can be changed based on each weapon type.  This is how Demonic Blow was fixed.  The mount's animation, on the other hand, is the same for all weapon types used with that particular combat art.

And I think what you're having an issue with is the mount's animation.  So, it could be changed, but it would be changed for all weapons when using Scything Sweep.  That's not to say anything would be broken if we changed it (with some tweaking), but... we would just basically lose an animation - the Hellhound rearing up and slamming down would no longer be used at all.

I'll run some tests see if I can't think of some way to optimize it for Enhanced Edition.

Right. Thank you both Flix and Gogo for the quick responses. That makes sense, and the animation does look cool, it'd be kind of a shame to waste it.

I should note that the SW in my original post is only level 30-something, with rather low attack speed. I don't know how or if that animation would be affected by attack speed, if at all. A simple fix might be just speeding that animation up (less frames for each position) ? Don't know how technically viable that would be. 

Anyway, thanks for looking into this.

-G

• Like! 1