Diablo 2 Fallen - Early Boss Difficulty

First, I want to say how much I've enjoyed the little innovations throughout this mod.  You've made the new classes fun to play, and seeing familiar faces from Diablo 2 all over the place is a lot of fun. I laughed when I spotted Flavie :)

I'm fairly early in a run, having experimented with several classes and builds, settling on a melee Paladin. This early -- around level 20 -- it's essentially Antitrust's Queen of Blades. I've taken the Queen through the Silver campaign from start to finish in vanilla, so I know how she's supposed to feel and play. I'm not twinking her, with speedran Niobium buyers or anything like that. I'm just playing a character straight from the start.

I don't remember the Goblin (Devilkin) Chieftain being this difficult. I'm not poorly equipped, but I'm getting one-shot by his boulder toss. I remember it hurting and trying to avoid it, but not being one-shot.  I had to stop using Zeal, because of the lengthy animation. I switched to Vengeance, and started avoiding the boulders. Fine. After 81 health potions consumed, I had brought him down to about half health, and ran out of potions. Instant death.

After rezzing again, I farmed vendors to buy a new batch of 100 health potions.  That's over 70,000 gold worth, and not small, given that I had 440,000g at that point. Six more tries and I'm broke. I switch auras from Fanatacism and Prayer to Fanatacism and Conviction -- figuring that the Armor reduction will make me kill him faster.  It did.  I got him down to about 1/3 health remaining before I got maneuvered between a cauldron and a rock pile, couldn't run away from the boulder, and got one-shotted. Again. I had less than 20 potions left, so I wouldn't have defeated him anyway.

In vanilla, Silver, I could face-tank the Chieftain with the Queen of Blades at this level, without going through all that many potions, and only risking death if I got too careless. Mistakes could be recovered from. Here, there's no room for error, and it takes more than all the potions I had collected to this point of play. 

I have 782 hp, Attack 267 Defense 124, physical armor of 236, and Vengeance damage of 156-194 -- about 40% of which is cold damage. I'm not twinked, but I'm fairly well geared -- including the level22 lightsaber that dropped at my feet upon character creation. I don't think bosses should require crazy twinking though ...

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a difference in difficulty or expectations from vanilla that I missed? I remember being able to defeat every boss I came across, when I first came across them, in vanilla.

• Like! 1
  • The title was changed to Diablo 2 Fallen - Early Boss Difficulty

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know it's not just me, and it is just Gahanka :) Perhaps I'm missing it, but I thought that, if anything, the Paladin is more powerful than the Seraphim -- with all the great auras and their mods. Synergies with the Holy Auras, Ancient Magic, Conviction and several of their attacks felt like you could make a powerhouse of a caster -- lack of broad Area of Effect being the only thing deterring me from a caster Pally. Well, that and lack of understanding how to make a caster work well, I think, but that's another topic ;)

6 hours ago, lightbringer32 said:

First, I want to say how much I've enjoyed the little innovations throughout this mod.  You've made the new classes fun to play, and seeing familiar faces from Diablo 2 all over the place is a lot of fun. I laughed when I spotted Flavie :)

I'm fairly early in a run, having experimented with several classes and builds, settling on a melee Paladin. This early -- around level 20 -- it's essentially Antitrust's Queen of Blades. I've taken the Queen through the Silver campaign from start to finish in vanilla, so I know how she's supposed to feel and play. I'm not twinking her, with speedran Niobium buyers or anything like that. I'm just playing a character straight from the start.

I don't remember the Goblin (Devilkin) Chieftain being this difficult. I'm not poorly equipped, but I'm getting one-shot by his boulder toss. I remember it hurting and trying to avoid it, but not being one-shot.  I had to stop using Zeal, because of the lengthy animation. I switched to Vengeance, and started avoiding the boulders. Fine. After 81 health potions consumed, I had brought him down to about half health, and ran out of potions. Instant death.

After rezzing again, I farmed vendors to buy a new batch of 100 health potions.  That's over 70,000 gold worth, and not small, given that I had 440,000g at that point. Six more tries and I'm broke. I switch auras from Fanatacism and Prayer to Fanatacism and Conviction -- figuring that the Armor reduction will make me kill him faster.  It did.  I got him down to about 1/3 health remaining before I got maneuvered between a cauldron and a rock pile, couldn't run away from the boulder, and got one-shotted. Again. I had less than 20 potions left, so I wouldn't have defeated him anyway.

In vanilla, Silver, I could face-tank the Chieftain with the Queen of Blades at this level, without going through all that many potions, and only risking death if I got too careless. Mistakes could be recovered from. Here, there's no room for error, and it takes more than all the potions I had collected to this point of play. 

I have 782 hp, Attack 267 Defense 124, physical armor of 236, and Vengeance damage of 156-194 -- about 40% of which is cold damage. I'm not twinked, but I'm fairly well geared -- including the level22 lightsaber that dropped at my feet upon character creation. I don't think bosses should require crazy twinking though ...

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a difference in difficulty or expectations from vanilla that I missed? I remember being able to defeat every boss I came across, when I first came across them, in vanilla.

Happy to see you on the boards lightbringer and digging into Flix's mod

welcome to the forums!

:)

gogo