The secrets of Poutine

Yes it's both fascinating and scary to look at. The second leading cause of most heart attacks (barely edged out by smoking) in Montreal arrives steaming hot at your table, with a consistency of textures ranging from crunchy to soft, pliable,rubber...and all edible.

Poutine-clow.jpg

But once you bite, slurp, chew, suck and stretch your way into it, there is no turning back.

A new Poutine lover has been born.

This is a great read and I was delighted to find it.

Make mine with extra curds please.

:4rofl:

gogo

fattening would be an understatement :D

It was originally a poor man's food, but...the world being the way it is, this dish has reared it's face in many new forms in chi-chi restaurants all over the city now.

Can it be made at home?

You betcha

curd.jpg

+

sthubert.jpg

+

ss.jpg

Fry the fries, warm up the gravy, toss on the curds and let it melt. When the whole thing turns into a big gooey mess, pull up a seat and enjoy

gogo

apparently it was the poor person's snack food.

lol, now it's all the overpriced rage

go figger

gogo

p.s. Funki, I'd actually be very interested to know if you could get it there. Just show em the pic of the poutine...if it doesn't scare the dude, he'd probably be know what you were taling about. People buy small bags of it now here and just pop the little nibbits into their mouth...like potato chips.

I have had this years ago when I was small! But my mom used different gravy :4rofl:

(It was the description of the squeaky cheese as you ate it that brought the memory back :D

Did you see it on your travels here in Australia:) I just tried googling specifying Oz and it just comes up with Canadian sites.

{edit} you would think my grammar would be a little better .... grrrrr (I am so ashamed LOL)

Edited by Funkilicious

What's interesting is now the gravies are a big point of contention. Apparently the dude who first invented the poutine sauce, had a kind of sweet thing going on. But now, the gravies all range from pork, to beef, to chicken...out of the packet even.

And yeah...if the cheese is good...really good...it squeaks

gogo

Yup I think it was actually a mix of mushroom/beef my mom used to use. Shhh.. but I like to add a hint of... ketchup.. just a drop per bite. :4rofl: Just to balance out the gravyness.

Nope I haven't seen anything like it. Ok the concept is everywhere, but I doubt that a true poutine existed in Asia at all.

Is there a homemade recipe for the curd? :whistle:

mmmmmmmmmmmmm? wasnt that invented by English Canadians? I am pretty sure the French Canadians stole it from us !

( all above is a lie sort of and inside joke as how English Canadians have a riverlry with the French Canadians and for any of you out side of Canada don't get either one of use started on newfies *lol*)

to Gogopoke.gif

Edited by Borg

Cheese curds are quite common here in Minnesota/Wisconsin. They are most often deep fried and eaten like "popcorn" chicken. Quite tasty -- and I feel my arteries tighten up every time I have some. State Fair time is almost here -- deep fried curds are a specialty there.

help...someone call for the artery busters...

Gial..how could you!

lol...now I know this exists...

must..have...deep fried curds...

:)

gogo

p.s. State fairs sounds so awesome. I read about how they do the whole deep fried snickers thing. My kinda place.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the double post but when I saw this I just had to post it this pic:

poutine-1.jpg

k, is that not gorgeous or what

Turkey, take a seat

Your appointment with the butcher :D has been forestalled a year

:(

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmmm poutine, being in Buffalo, NY-it was only a quick hop into Ontario and POUTINE. Good stuff, though ive always wondered what it would be like with sausage gravy, cuz I just love a load of sausahe gravy over homefries so french fries isnt a stretch. Now im hungry and I want poutine...or another local(Rochester, NY) favorite of a "garbage plate" I had one not too long ago and it was delish and it probably shave d a few years off my life expectancy

What is it you may ask?

Pick 2: Hot dogs/hamburgers/sausages/white hots/hamburgers

Pick 2: Macaroni salad/potato salad/french fries/homefries/beans

Cover all that in chili and onions and you have a Garbage Plate!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/GarbagePlate.htm

• 1 month later...
Mmmmmm poutine, being in Buffalo, NY-it was only a quick hop into Ontario and POUTINE. Good stuff, though ive always wondered what it would be like with sausage gravy, cuz I just love a load of sausahe gravy over homefries so french fries isnt a stretch. Now im hungry and I want poutine...or another local(Rochester, NY) favorite of a "garbage plate" I had one not too long ago and it was delish and it probably shave d a few years off my life expectancy

What is it you may ask?

Pick 2: Hot dogs/hamburgers/sausages/white hots/hamburgers

Pick 2: Macaroni salad/potato salad/french fries/homefries/beans

Cover all that in chili and onions and you have a Garbage Plate!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/GarbagePlate.htm

After you pull the fries out of the oil, try powdering them with chili powder, add a lil tobasco, and shake 'm in a paper bag, before

you continue with the cheese . . . Instead of gravy, use a bacon & ranch salad dressing. Try it . . . HOLYCOOKING.COM DO POPCORN THE SAME WAY, BUT LEAVE OFF THE GRAVY - HUH

Edited by rmholy