Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final

bhj

Yikes, thanx for the link stubbs. Seems like all the more reason not to add SP3 for me. At least not for a long while yet...

Ahhhh, the endless reboot. I downloaded the beta of SP3 and it was all good. Then I uninstalled XP in favor of Linux. After returning to XP I installed the official finished SP3 and was rewarded with the endless reboot cycle. And unlike the reports of users in the article Stubbie provided, I couldn't even make it to safe mode.

I did install it when it came to windows update and have not had any problems since.

might as well post a short summary of some possible solution here as well :(

First problem, affecting AMD-based computers with OEM images

first "Disable automatic restart on system failure"

then disable the intelppm.sys driver (Do NOT under any circumstance disable the intelppm driver on an Intel-based computer)

If you booted into the recovery console, from a command prompt, run "disable intelppm"

If you booted into safe mode you can run "sc config intelppm start= disabled"

If this was your problem, the computer should now reboot just fine :D

Second problem, affecting certain AMD motherboards

The solution is simplicity itself: insert a USB flash drive, or some other form of secondary storage mechanism, before booting the computer. The people have that have seen this problem report that it goes away when they do. The catch is that the computer will only boot with a secondary drive attached. If you remove the secondary drive it will no longer boot.

you can read more about it on Jesper's Blog as stubbs pointed out :(

and remember everything is done at your own risk ;)