Sacred 2 GPU problems

Hi everyone!
I had the opportunity to buy the sacred 2 gold originally at last - someday through the steam app :heart:.  I have problems with my video card, overheating and buzzing at idle. I didn't understand the machines myself on hardware, but I did clean up the card fan unit somewhat. These days, this thing has gone so far that if it goes above 90 degrees it will unfortunately turn off, but now it also smelled like burnt plastic (although I bought this PC in use). All this was due to the huge heat in the summer, otherwise the machine has been with me for 2 years and it would be quite tolerable except for that. It has a GTX 580 with 1.5 Giga of memory. For what I’m writing here, sacred 2 heats up terribly on the main menu. Note: I tried the game on Geforce Now, but this app can't add or sync any added saves so unfortunately I have to start over there and the character editor doesn't work either (due to its virtual nature, because there is no folder where you would save the files).

Any ideas what I could do with this VGA or replace it possibly? I'm sure I won't spend a fortune on this machine, but a 2 gigabyte ASUS might fit or some low budget card would be nice. What is the best video card for Sacred 2 in this 2-3 gigabyte category?
When it comes to single player play, Sacred 2 the best up for me and I’m very sorry that Deep Silver did not release more add-ons or possibly DLC.

Summary: So I tried to play on Steam but the card overheats and so I will be unable to play for a shorter but mostly longer run. Please reply to me to see if I can get some inspiration for card buying case.:cool:
I wish you another great game for the Sacred universe!

• Respect! 1

I have an old nVidia Sparkle Calibre P860+ that I used to run Sacred 2 with no problems but it only has 512 Mb video RAM and the output is not the standard VGA output. There is an S-Video and two DVI-I outputs on the back plane. There is an S-Video connector as well as an S-Video to composite video adapter included. It is a PCI Express x16 card that requires two additional Molex connections to the power supply.

If you had a monitor that would accept the output from the card, I would be willing to give you the card if you pay for shipping. It's in a zip-lock bag with all documentation, the two cables, and the CD installation disk that came with it.

If you decide you want it, let me know in this post and we can then exchange addresses so I can mail you the card. You can send me the shipping costs after you get the card if you decide to try it.

It would probably be better if you held out for what you are hoping for. Best of luck!

• Appreciation 1

I'm glad you wrote kindly of you. I will probably invest in one that is around € 60 at the beginning of the month and will attach pictures. My monitor knows HDMI and this new card will know it too. My motherboard is a Foxconn Intel board with multiple PCI slots Plus with more memory than before so now I think it would be the best choice (little, noiseless, know more, etc.) Anyway, the GTA 5 on this also went problem free just noisy, so I want a degree better than this (GTA is my nephew's game) :hooyaah:

msi-geforce-gt-710-2gd3h-lp-2gb-342166.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@kokoka, have you tried turning Vsync on?

Vsync caps your FPS at the refresh speed of your monitor. Maybe your card runs hot in the menu because it maxes FPS out on the relatively simple frames. That was an issue with New World (the new Amazon game) as well IIRC.

Bottom line, your GTX580 should not have any issues with Sacred 2. 

• Appreciation 1
3 hours ago, Timotheus said:

@kokoka, have you tried turning Vsync on?

Vsync caps your FPS at the refresh speed of your monitor. Maybe your card runs hot in the menu because it maxes FPS out on the relatively simple frames. That was an issue with New World (the new Amazon game) as well IIRC.

Bottom line, your GTX580 should not have any issues with Sacred 2. 

Awesome, thanks for the helping post, Timo.. great seeing ya!

:hugs:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for writing, you are kind! Virtualization has been inside since the first day I bought the machine in used condition. The card has always been loud, probably "drove" by the original owner, because it was his machine even though he was dealing with computers at the time. I’m still voting for an exchange, something low-profile because the engine room isn’t big either, I just haven’t dealt with it yet. But the motherboard able to handle some rtx category as maximum.
P.S : PCI express all slots except the 3.0

Edited by kokoka
  • Like! 1
12 hours ago, kokoka said:

Thank you for writing, you are kind! Virtualization has been inside since the first day I bought the machine in used condition. The card has always been loud, probably "drove" by the original owner, because it was his machine even though he was dealing with computers at the time. I’m still voting for an exchange, something low-profile because the engine room isn’t big either, I just haven’t dealt with it yet. But the motherboard able to handle some rtx category as maximum.

Delighted that Timo"s and @Spock posts were able to offer some succor,! @Timotheus now here to egg you about your avatar kokoka, time to get spoooooky!

:dance:

gogo

• The title was changed to Sacred 2 GPU problems
22 hours ago, kokoka said:

OK I will skip any technical advice and will try to help you with a new card then.

Prices are atrocious at the moment due to chip shortages, but when you really need to buy new: given your example of a GT710 (please do not buy that) please at least get your hands on a GT1030. I've seen this one on a hungarian webshop I've seen mentioned on Reddit. No clue what the shop is like, just use it for reference and buy at a place you are comfortable with. 

Just to make sure you understand why I recommend setting your minimum at a GT1030:

First off: the latest on-board graphics are pretty much on par with a GT1030. It is basically shelling out cash for performance you get for "free" on new CPUs. It will run Sacred, I'm not entirely sure how well though.
Now, I tend to use Toms Hardware for checking out performance levels between generations and price tiers of GPU's (which is useful since an older high end GPU may outperform a lower end current GPU). Scroll down half way on that page, and you come across the Legacy GPU Hierarchy. GPUs are grouped together based on their relatively similar performance, both Nvidia and AMD. 

Important to note: in the past, their articles of the GPU Hierarchy contained a rule of thumb: when upgrading your GPU, look at a card in brackets at least 3 tiers higher to get a noticeable performance boost. Or, with a card that falls in a bracket close to what you have, you will end up with similar performance. Good to replace a bad part you're satisfied with, bad when you try to upgrade. Anyway let's compare:

Performance wise, the GT710 (I've had to step it up to a GT730 as reference since the 710 is not even mentioned) falls at least 7 tiers below your current GTX580
The GT1030 fallls about 5 tiers below your current GTX580

Please take that into account: you will probably notice a decrease in your fps and might have to lower some settings here and there when you buy a GT710 or GT1030. The GTX580 is not a bad card, even though it was introduced in November 2010 it was a high end card so it's trading blows with the mid range GTX1050Ti which was introduced a whopping 6 years later. And you should be able to game quite well with it now. 

Edited by Timotheus
  • Appreciation 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I fully understand what you wrote, thank you for it and I agree. The only problem is that I don’t want to spend on the machine if it’s good if not. I don’t care about any online games these days, sometimes I play Destiny 2, but that’s not good either. So I wouldn't mind if I put a 1 giga card in it, because there's nothing very "binding" besides Sacred 2. I'm only writing this in response because that's unfortunately the case - although the competing Titan Quest isn't bad either. 

So all the options are right, the cheaper version is also perfect.

• Appreciation 1