Discuss programs you cant "live" without here

bhj

This is for Immortal, with RegClean do you have to keep re downloading it to remove things free again, or is it once per day or something?

:music:

~Doom

Regclean: Microsoft made an unofficial program with that name a long time ago. I still use it.

If this program does the same, it scans the registry to find unused keys and removes them. Since there are sometimes forward references, I always run it twice. The Microsoft version does not keep any info on spy/mal wares -- it only removes unused entries -- usually left over from a trial or after an uninstall..

Oh RegClean isn't 100% reliable missed a problem even I could spot with my startup a startup order for an uninstalled program.....

:D

~Doom

For me, it's going to be Firefox. My browser seems to be my bread and butter these days. I basically expect it to do anything...even make coffee some day in the future.

:(

Virus cleans, and stuff like that, well, I'm extremely careful with pushing any links on the net, I never click on any link in msn unless someone tells me they're sending a link...and in almost seven years of operation with this comp...knock on wood...not one single virus yet. And, I do download virus checkers every once in a while and use em for the month or so... always clean...even using kaspersky.

:)

gogo

Quite a list Funkilicious (think I might have to have a closer look at them ):)

And winamp mmm now there you have a music player (even if it plays much more then music)

and tons and tons of skin to it as well ;)

Heres the skin iam using atm (- that old tape thing at the top) :(

view_zdlgoldstackreel.jpg

Can be downloaded at www.mzentertainment.com ;):viking::viking:

Quite a list Funkilicious (think I might have to have a closer look at them ) :(

My fav is Winmerge, if anyone has ever had to upgrade exisiting code and has added mods to it, it is a life saver. I learn't the hard way a couple of years ago when I forgot to back up a website that had quite a few mods to it and blindly upgraded to the next version :)

My fav is Winmerge, if anyone has ever had to upgrade exisiting code and has added mods to it, it is a life saver. I learn't the hard way a couple of years ago when I forgot to back up a website that had quite a few mods to it and blindly upgraded to the next version ;)

Oh ouch... :) The thought of upgrading always freaks me out a bit. I'm always worried that I'll lose a mod in the process which is why I try to do as little modding as possible. Good one funki. I'll be checking out that winmerge for sure. ;)

Awesome topic btw bhj!

*Stickied the listing of programs* :(

I have a shopping cart site that I look after and upgrades are always been developed, it has a load of mods on it (converting it from UK to Aus, including skins, shipping, payment gateways etc, ) just setting it up originally took hours, and in one foul swoop it was all gone. Winmerge is now the first thing I open when that little flashy icon says "Upgrade available: :friends3:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ghe I forgot to post here... untill I figured I missed a program I Allways use .. VLC ...

and I just love rocketdock and that Winamp skin Reel 2 Reel :D:)

firefox was obvious and so was winamp ^^

Excellent additions everyone. What an amazing topic! Definitely one of the very best resources on the forum. Is it stickied? ... *goes to check* Ah, yup! Good.

Maybe a link in this topic to the resource topic bhj? :D

I use Firefox and love it.

I also use roboform. This remembers my passwords I hate it when I have a password memorized and the next program I want to use says you can use this because you have to have "X" more letters. Or Sorry you have to have numbers also. I can't keep track of all the different passwords or variations of the original passwords I have Roboform on my desktop and Roboform2 for my U3drive

aaah the VLC player (we like that one) :whistle:

we had quite a bit of a media circus over here with one of the VLC´s developers (I think thats what he was/is) (DVD Jon) kinda funny actually things got blown way way out of proportion and about half of what the press said was just wrong :drunkards:

another triple post :D

how big does the fraps file normaly get ?

I just did a test installation on a old pc and a 10,15 min file was 4gb :o

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help on VLC!

I've tried the program before, and now I tried it again, but here's my problem with it:

Almost every time I load a movie in it from my HDD, it looks completely wrong.

I get a big wide green static bar on the left side of the screen.

Now, I never have this problem with neither Winamp, nor WMP, nor AVI-Preview.

Is there a fix to this? I just use VLC standard, no extra codecs or anything.

Edited by Timotheus

it might very well be a codec problem I never had this problem myself but I do have the nero codec pack installed

another codec pack I hear get a bucket load of :) is K-lite mega codec pack it can be downloaded here

• 1 month later...

nice progs you added there Den :)

so does tuneup utilities woks well ? I had some bad experience with tools that messes around with the registry :)

TuneUp works excellent, for me. I've never experience any problems with it. It's mostly a 'clean up'-tool, I'd guess you could call it a sort of enhanced defragmentation. It fixes all those little things we're all 'unaware' of as Windows users :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

RocketDock has a new docklet in town, it's simply amazing: Stack Docklet.

Access to the content from your complete my documents folder in RocketDock!

Note: you have to enable "store settings in a portable .ini" to make it save your settings for these docklets.