A Request when planning your purchases or tv viewing in the near future.

CBS chose to air a contestants insults about the autistic individuals he works with during last weeks episode. Adam Jasinski's choice to call them retards along with insinuating that they need special help to get a decent haircut to look nice was beyond remotely acceptable and CBS's choice to air it with out an apology is even more reprehensible.

As such I ask that you do not watch Big Brother nor patronize its sponsors such as Saturn, Pfizer, Geico, Bertoli, Lowe's, Theraflu, and Taco Bell. This insult is on par with using the N word to refer to black individuals.

My son Nick as some of you know has aspergers, a form of high functioning autism. As such this insult hits particularly close to home.

I have never watched it...turned off by most of the 'reality' shows anyways. I rarely watch network now. I don't need to see ignorant un-informed people spewing their misinformed thoughts about life. My nephew is what most people would call 'slow'. He was special ed all thru school and I doubt he will be able to live alone without help. That said, he's a great kid (lol he's 21) and love him just the way he is. Wouldn't change a thing if I could.

Well other than finally beating him on Halo 3 :(

I don't understand how CBS thought that this way O.K. or entertaining. Just seems that common decency and respect aren't necessary in today's tv programming. Guess that's why I'm always watching stuff like the Science Channel or National Geographic instead

I agree that was in incredibly bad form of this shmo. I can't imagine his employer is gunna keep him around if he truely does work with people with special needs. I think CBS should have beeped it out or taken it out entirely and made a big to do in the media to point attention to the scumbag who said it. I never watch Big Brother and dont intend to. As far as the sponsors go-they're just buying commercial time and aren't in control of what's said. I would guess they're only aware of a show's premise and the demographics of those who watch(so as to tailor ads to them) not of the content of each specific episode. I very much doubt CBS informed all of its sponsors of what was said before it aired but, ya never know.

As far as the sponsors go-they're just buying commercial time and aren't in control of what's said. I would guess they're only aware of a show's premise and the demographics of those who watch(so as to tailor ads to them) not of the content of each specific episode. I very much doubt CBS informed all of its sponsors of what was said before it aired but, ya never know.

But CBS airs things like this to get ratings to charge sponsors more for their advertising.

Those sponsors look at the ratings to see what type of person they get to advertise to.

If something like this can drive the ratings down or cause a backlash on the sponsors they will stop buying as much or any advertising time during the show which will make CBS stop and evaluate what exactly they are putting into the show for content.

Im sure the sponsors had no knowledge before hand but they certainly do now as many autism groups have notified them. Now is the time to show that the average person is offended and wont support those who condone this type of action.

We had Big Brother over here. It began some years back.

Personally I found the show to be both offensive and mindless.

Which is pretty much how I feel about tv in general, which is why I haven't watched it for over a year now.

I get my news and current affairs from radio and the internet. Movies from dvd's and entertainment from games. :)

stubbs

I'm kinda in the same boat as well. I haven't watched network tv, of any kind, in about 7 years now with the exception of seeing it at someone else's home. I decided not to waste my time with tv for the very reason that this topic exists. Ignorance and sheer idiotic content for the sake of ratings. ...Just doesn't fly my kite.

I'm very sorry that these networks have the ability to hurt people on such a massive scale. It would seem that calling themselves a reality show would shield them from the responsibility of someone else's words... Not something I would "buy" but I could see that their strategy is to have viewers "get their backs up" against the contestant and be blind to the fact that it's actually the people producing the show who are ultimately responsible. I think this show is a bit of a sport in seeing just who is the most/least despicable. Looks like we have a winner.

I commend you Genenut on taking action as well as others who are against the insult and I would agree that the R word equates to the N word. Everyone has their own battles that really hit home and certainly should speak out when feeling so strongly.

I am till trying to work out how Reality shows are a big hit, but unfortunately Genenut, the more the controvsery the higher the the ratings, just look at the Jerry Springer show. They are all mind numbing.

Good luck with your cause

I can't stand mainstream tv ... about the only tv I watch is football and mma fights (ppv normally) .... the rest to me is usually mindless or so predictably easy to read what is going to happen that its not worth the time. On a side notte my mom used to be a teachers aid at one of our schools and she usually went to help with the special needs class. I would sometimes go and help whenever I skipped school (much more fun and worthwhile imo). I always have had alot of respect for kids with special needs like that because after you get to know them you get to actually see them for who they are. not as someone to feel sorry for ... or to make fun of .... but as another human being with just as much of a right to be here and get the same priveledges as any one of us ....... I could go on and on about this subject but I digress ... ty for letting me know about that and ill be sure to avoid them more than I already do :)

Reality shows are a hit because they are cheap to make. Low cost means even if they don't score big in the ratings, they are still bottom line profitable.

Unfortunately, this particular show is not scripted, so advertisers can't know ahead of time what will or won't be said by the house members. It has been the case in the past that advertisers threaten to pull their ads if a controversial topic is to be aired. CBS, however, could have exhibited better discretion. While the show is not scripted, it is for the most part recorded in advance, and edited down to 1 hour from several days of real time. Unless this was part of the "live" segment, it sounds to me like CBS erred significantly. Even so, if it was live action, I would expect at least an apology from them prefacing the next show.

And I expect the advertisers to be wary and to remove their ads if the circumstances in the house do not change.

As for me, I've seen maybe the equivalent of nearly 1 episode in all the years the show has been on. I consider it drivel.

Yes, and they were especially invaluable to the networks for the last several months due to the writers' strike. This was an abysmally bad year for television -- a crevasse deep below the trough of dreck we are regularly subjected to. As if the regular shows weren't bad enough . . . :)

We also have Big Brother here and I have never been a fan of it. It is supposedly a reality show but when watching it they seem to be following a script. I don't kow if it's the same with Big Brother in other countries but most of the candidates here possess good looks and body.