List of buggable quests in vanilla Sacred.

So, just finished the main game on Silver and before moving to Underworld, I will drop here a list of quests that have bugged for me in any way, shape or form in my pretty diligent playthrough.

Main Game

Magical Thistle (Braverock Castle) - The quest NPC (Merchant) might disappear for unknown reasons.

Solution - First, make sure that he is there when starting the quest and once you accept it, finish ASAP to see if you can close it out. He is the NPC that ends the quest so if he disappears, you can't end it.

The Scroll of Mhic 'Dar-Mon (Khurad Nur) - Impossible to finish if you visit the quest dungeon where the quest item is before accepting the quest. If you do, the locked door will not unlock even if you have the key from the Shaman.

Solution - Do no enter the dungeon before accepting the quest.

Special Flavor (Moorbrook) - the quest items that drop from the spiders have no name, so they don't show up when holding ALT. They still drop, are visible as yellow dots on the minimap and can still be picked up though. Took me a while to realize.

Whiskey Supplier (Moorbrook) - You have to complete this quest before picking up the Whiskey barrels during another quest: Pure Water. If you don't finish it before that, you won't be able to hand in the quest to the Barman, because he will only keep buying Whiskey from you and the quest completion dialogue will no longer show up.

The Spider Monster of Moorbrook - Same thing as the scroll quest above.  Impossible to finish with the good outcome if you enter the cellar next to the mage before retrieving the spider quest item and getting the prison key from killing the mage first. The door won't open even if you have the key.

Jacquaire's Battle Uniform - I was having a problem with getting him to move to the Blackrock tavern. He stayed at the edge of the forest for the longest time. After finishing act 3, I decided to check up on him one last time and he suddenly was not there any longer. And he won't move until you get close to him at the edge of the forest and the game realizes he should spawn elsewhere. I went:

1) Blackrock tavern. Jacquaire was not there.

2) Went to the edge of the forest - Jacquaire was not there either.

3) Went back to the tavern - Jacquaire was finally there.

That's it for the base game. Will update this thread with bugged quests from Underworld, if there are any.

EDIT:

Underworld

New potions (Pirate Islands) - same issue as the Special Flavor quest from the main game. The quest items (skulls) that drop from the skeletons have no name and so don't show up when holding ALT. But they still drop, can be picked up and the quest finished.

The Book of Wisdom (Valley of Tears) - I read about this quest after finishing it and apparently, you can bug out the quest script if you kill multiple guardians at once, potentially erroneously giving you the reward 2 (killing one and the last 2 in the same attack) or 3 (killing all 3 in the same attack) times. Loaded an older save just to try, and it works. The script obviously works in a way where upon killing a guardian, it checks whether it was the last one and if that is true, then give the reward. But it was not prepared for the edge case of 2 or 3 of them dying at the exact same time, which results in 3 checks at the same time, all resulting in "Yes, this is the last one as no others are alive, give reward", granting a total of 6 attribute points and skill points instead of just 2. So if you want to get only the intended reward out of this quest, make sure you don't kill the guardians in the same attack. Glad I was not using Fist of the Gods so I don't have to replay the ending segment of Underworld again to get rid of the glitched points.

Tried it many times in the previous save file and even just Multi-Hit is often enough to score 4 attribute and skill points (never managed 6 with it though). So check your points after killing them to make sure you got 2.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Respect! 1

Relax. There are more of them. You will stumble into them after a while :)

But what angers me is that the studio sold three times an unfinished product, Sacred, Sacred Plus and Sacred Underworld, 30 bucks each, and was bold enough to move on to the next product, Sacred 2, without even roughly fixing the first one. As soon as money started to roll in, there was no holding back anymore.
Surf the wave as long as possible, mooch off as much money as you can and dont look back. A good example for a nasty and totally ruthless economist build.
Well yeah. We all know the ending. A few years later, Mister Big drove the studio against the wall. Head on.

12 hours ago, Dax said:

Relax. There are more of them. You will stumble into them after a while :)

But what angers me is that the studio sold three times an unfinished product, Sacred, Sacred Plus and Sacred Underworld, 30 bucks each, and was bold enough to move on to the next product, Sacred 2, without even roughly fixing the first one. As soon as money started to roll in, there was no holding back anymore.
Surf the wave as long as possible, mooch off as much money as you can and dont look back. A good example for a nasty and totally ruthless economist build.
Well yeah. We all know the ending. A few years later, Mister Big drove the studio against the wall. Head on.

It's true that the games were probably a little bit more buggy than they should have been (especially Sacred 2), but as far as Sacred 1 goes and the quests I listed above, at least you can get around the bugs if you know in advance. Still sucks for the first playthrough though.

• 3 weeks later...

From the old Sacred official forum:

https://web.archive.org/web/20071219183222/http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=44728

Main Quest Glitches:

The Water Bottle at Wyvern Pass (Ancaria Campaign) - FIXED IN PATCHES
The Elements of Ancaria (Ancaria Campaign) - Follow the quest mark
The Dams of Gnarlstat (Ancaria Campaign) - UNFIXED, SAVE OFTEN

Side Quest Glitches:

Magic Thistle - Braverock Side Quest
Evacuation - Oasis of Ahil-Tar Side Quest
Whiskey Supplier - Moorbrook Side Quest
The Spider Monster of Moorbrook - Moorbrook Side Quest
Messenger - Bellevue Side Quest
HRunga'zz - Gloomoor Side Quest

Other Glitches: