Only one combat music playing when enemies are too high level?

Just a short summary. In the game music files, there are 10 combat music tracks (MUSIC_FIGHT01-10) that play randomly whenever in combat. The game always randomly picked one and started playing it when combat started. However, ever since my Survival Bonus increased the enemy levels into the 10+ territory over my character (currently at about 13 with 92% SB), it switched to only playing one different music track (MUSIC_WRONGLEVEL) and no other music ever gets played anymore in combat. The name of the track checks out too (that it plays when facing overleveled enemies) but as you can imagine, constantly hearing the same loop, or even worse, the same couple starting seconds of the same music over and over can get annoying pretty quickly.

I assume this happens to everyone. Has anyone ever tried modding this? I'll probably end up removing the MUSIC_WRONGLEVEL track because I pretty much hate it at this point after having to hear it for hours on end :D. Or replace it with something less annoying.

Edited by idbeholdME

I have muted sacreds music after minutes after I encountered the same issue years ago. I suggest to get yourself some decent rpg battle themes together and loop them using audacity. It is not difficult. Had a playlist in the making once but skipped it after some platforms went berserk and dragged users into copyright wars.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  The track is Dragon's Flight and after a certain point it seems like this is all you constantly hear when playing Sacred. Gave me massive "listener's fatigue."  I wish there was any easy way to just turn off fight music like in Sacred 2.  I requested the Overlookers to try to change it in their Reborn mod but after a while that mod changed so much against my tastes that I never looked to see if they did anything to fix it.

I believe your point is already on the to do list. Most likely, it is not toppriority due to the infinite amount of work which still lies in front  of the team.I regard the mod as a gigantic construction site. The foundation has been laid, the whole rest is experimental. Raised buildings can be smashed, trampled and crushed the one day, only to rise into the sky the next day again. Maybe in a different form.
What can be seen now is a rough shape, until the mod is finally done, several years will surely pass. No need to loose hope since the makers respond usually to ideas and input. My point of criticism is rather the missing interest in the whole thing from the player site. I dislike the restaurant mentalitiy and make it responsible for the leaving of olks clan from the western internet platforms. 

2 hours ago, Dax said:

No need to loose hope since the makers respond usually to ideas and input.

So long as you're praising it, they're responsive and they take the praise as a sign the mod is going in the right direction. Yet every time I questioned a design decision or had any criticism I was met with a massive stone wall.  "This mod is for real experienced players" was the resounding defense of every Reborn change, with the implication that anyone who understood how to play the game well should accept the change as a matter of course.  Anyone who did not accept a change is cast as an inexperienced rookie who needed to get better.

This is why I no longer engage with that team or try to promote it as I did in the early days when Reborn still had some resemblance to the original game. They are of course free to direct their hard work toward whatever goal they see fit, they don't owe it to me or anyone to make everything just how I want it.  But change the game enough, so that none of the core mechanics even exist anymore, and you can't be that surprised when Sacred fans aren't interested in it after a time.  Judging by the comments, I'd wager most people pick up the mod for the widescreen support.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Flix said:

I know exactly what you're talking about.  The track is Dragon's Flight and after a certain point it seems like this is all you constantly hear when playing Sacred. Gave me massive "listener's fatigue."  I wish there was any easy way to just turn off fight music like in Sacred 2....

Dragon's Flight was randomly playing occasionally along with all the other combat music when enemies were not such a high level above me. It was not that bad when at least 7 or so tracks cycled around but now, the only thing the game ever plays in combat for me is this:

It doesn't even really sound like combat music :/

Tried starting a new character and the music cycles normally. Meaning it is 99% caused by facing enemies at a too high level. Which means that once it starts happening, it is never going to change unless you reset your survival bonus to bring enemy levels closer to yours... Which nobody sane is going to do so the options are either removing the track for silence during combat, or replacing it with something more listenable.

Edited by idbeholdME
On 12/26/2021 at 4:11 AM, idbeholdME said:

Just a short summary. In the game music files, there are 10 combat music tracks (MUSIC_FIGHT01-10) that play randomly whenever in combat. The game always randomly picked one and started playing it when combat started. However, ever since my Survival Bonus increased the enemy levels into the 10+ territory over my character (currently at about 13 with 92% SB), it switched to only playing one different music track (MUSIC_WRONGLEVEL) and no other music ever gets played anymore in combat. The name of the track checks out too (that it plays when facing overleveled enemies) but as you can imagine, constantly hearing the same loop, or even worse, the same couple starting seconds of the same music over and over can get annoying pretty quickly.

I assume this happens to everyone. Has anyone ever tried modding this? I'll probably end up removing the MUSIC_WRONGLEVEL track because I pretty much hate it at this point after having to hear it for hours on end :D. Or replace it with something less annoying.

send me .exe file

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RuDDicK said:

Thanks a ton! Seems to have fixed it. Tried in the main game on enemies 30 levels higher than me and the normal combat music is playing again and changes between encounters. Haven't tried Underworld yet, but I assume that is fixed too?

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Like! 1

Also an additional note. The .exe I provided was from the GOG version of the game. Not sure if Steam's is the same.

Just mentioning in case it might cause any issues.

Edited by idbeholdME