Vishankas Mod corner

Regarding the Seraphim gear collection, I finally got all the pieces, including the Bunny Ears.

Spoiler

COMPLETE 1 - first batch of items in all 4 variations.

COMPLETE1UPDATE1.thumb.png.982a212e0d210418000c2652d33a5e67.png

EDIT 2:

Well damn, turns out that at least one item has 5 variations. Found a slightly different shade of red for the 3rd armor from the left. Hopefully, there aren't more....

COMPLETE 2 - second batch of items in all 4 variations

COMPLETE2UPDATE1.thumb.png.bcdcfeb78d1e44437bf20fdcdca87be0.png

COMPLETE 3 - And the final batch of items in all their variations

COMPLETE3.thumb.png.0e943c32bf5d46d6269f25a48571b743.png

The collection is finally complete. Now I will see what cool looking combos I can cook up.

Edited by idbeholdME
On 9/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, Vishanka said:

The interesting thing is that the effect for that should be in the game.

If you look at surface.txt there is a t energy effect entry, mystique wing FX.

It just does not work.

On the console the effect is visible. If you look at the sacred 2 wiki, the person who recorded the videos for the seraphim combat arts. It's from console and there the effect is visible.

If anyone knows what to do for activating the effect in the way it should look like I'd be happy to learn how to do it :lol:

Maybe... @Lindor as you seem to have much expertise with FX?

Hmm if you haven't already, try turning PhysX on. It changes/enables some FX. Actually Flix teached me that, I think in the d2f sorceress thread.

Other than that there's not much I can do without my PC. Also, are we talking about FX, a shader (like e.g. fur.shader), a shader collection (like e.g. tree_TREE or fx7 as scripted at the beginning of surface.txt) or a surface flag (which sometimes, like the fur flag, triggers one or more shaders)?

If it's not working, search for the shader in the pak/shader/console folder and copy/paste it into unified (with the correct path). Might have to re-enable the entries in surface.txt, if it's not already done.

If that's still not working, I think there's no way around looking into the shader itself.

The hard part for you will probably be finding the correct shader file in the first place.

1 hour ago, Lindor said:

If it's not working, search for the shader in the pak/shader/console folder and copy/paste it into unified (with the correct path). Might have to re-enable the entries in surface.txt, if it's not already done.

The issue I have with it is the lack of transparency or, when I get transparency, it disables the t-energy effect.

I was able to activate a T-Energy effect, but it doesn't seem to have transparency; instead the effect is on a solid black surface that it runs over, which unfortunately doesn't look good. In the xbox version it's kind of see-through.

By default the effect is active but invisible...

If I've managed to get any visual feedback through other shaders, other flags or another texture, it's either just the simple light effect that the texture creates (maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx.tga) or the solid black surface with the t-energy... By using a different texture I somehow managed to have transparency and from a certain degree of visibility the t-energy effect is also activated, but it only runs over the non-transparent parts and ignores everything from a certain point on degree of transparency

Edited by Vishanka
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 9:00 PM, Vishanka said:

The issue I have with it is the lack of transparency or, when I get transparency, it disables the t-energy effect.

I was able to activate a T-Energy effect, but it doesn't seem to have transparency; instead the effect is on a solid black surface that it runs over, which unfortunately doesn't look good. In the xbox version it's kind of see-through.

By default the effect is active but invisible...

If I've managed to get any visual feedback through other shaders, other flags or another texture, it's either just the simple light effect that the texture creates (maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx.tga) or the solid black surface with the t-energy... By using a different texture I somehow managed to have transparency and from a certain degree of visibility the t-energy effect is also activated, but it only runs over the non-transparent parts and ignores everything from a certain point on degree of transparency

Soo.. what are we talking about now?

On 9/13/2022 at 8:05 PM, Lindor said:

Also, are we talking about FX, a shader (like e.g. fur.shader), a shader collection (like e.g. tree_TREE or fx7 as scripted at the beginning of surface.txt) or a surface flag (which sometimes, like the fur flag, triggers one or more shaders)?

If we're talking about the SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY, a more or less detailed description can be found here: 

Keep in mind that I wrote this before I learned to script shaders. Important to notify is that not every shader in surface.txt supports a diffuse, a glow and a normal map. Some need more than three textures, some support just one. I recommend to use the SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY only together with shader collections which support exactly these three texture maps (in this order).:)

4 hours ago, Lindor said:

Soo.. what are we talking about now?

I don't know why it's not working like on the Xbox version so I don't know really what the problem is.

To me the problem is the lack of transparency levels for the t Energy effect as I can only get a solid surface for it to run over, or complete transparency without any tenergy effect at all. At a certain level of transparency the effect just disappeares, a behsviour which I exploited for the texture I am currently using.

I will try to work with an alpha layer mask but I don't have high hopes for that as I'm already able to edit all dds channels :smile:

So I don't really know, I was hoping you had encountered transparency and t energy anywhere while learning the shader stuff :whistle:by default it's invisible and not working at all, my approach to fix it might just be wrong in the first place as I lack knowledge of the flags and shaders and just brute force it until I get a result 

JSo it is the surface flag we're talking about? I'm sorry, but this is now the third time I'm asking this question, please answer it:). Keep in mind that I'm trying to help you from memory, I'm on my phone and not on my PC.

For your problem, I think you're maybe editing the wrong texture. Try editing the diffuse map (usually texture0Name), not the glow map (usually texture1Name). The latter's alpha channel determines the t-energy-effect's appearance and the glow strength, while former's alpha channel determines the final texture's transparency. All this assuming that the effect is coming from the surface flag and not the shader and assuming that your surface.txt entry's shader is supporting the three-texture-model as descibed in my last answer.

Also the thing with the black surface might mean that you forgot to add a diffuse map in the first place.

But if we're talking about the surface flag, then I don't understand why you said it wouldn't work on PC and just on console. Because that's most certainly not the case, SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY is fully operational and functional on PC as can be viewed in many areas, e.g. the Inquisitor's Astute Supremacy Spider Mount.

If you say you were able to get the effect to work, do you mean by adding the flag to the surface.txt entry, by editing a texture's alpha channel, by giving the surface.txt entry another shader collection entry, by shuffling around shader files in shader.zip from console to unified or by editing a shader file in shader.zip itself?

2 hours ago, Lindor said:

JSo it is the surface flag we're talking about? I'm sorry, but this is now the third time I'm asking this question, please answer it:). Keep in mind that I'm trying to help you from memory, I'm on my phone and not on my PC.

I would answer the question but I don't know, I cannot answer the question. I don't know what the problem is. I don't know if there is a problem with the flags, the texture or the shader, or if there in fact isn't a problem and it just will never work for pc or why it works on xbox.

For your problem, I think you're maybe editing the wrong texture.

There is only one file to edit, here:

This is the original entry in surface.txt

newSurface = {
  name         = "seraphim-mystiquefx-wing_c",
  texture0Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx.tga",
  texture1Name = "fx/black.tga",
  texture2Name = "fx/blue.tga",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_SFX + SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY,
  shader       = obj_fx_add,
}
mgr.surfCreate(newSurface);

This is the original texture:

Qetm9nD.png

Ingame it's invisible.

If I change something about the texture it will do this ingame:

BhFlhL7.png

After that all I did was editing the surface.txt entries, trying out several shader and flag combination and I sticked to one combination that looked acceptable even though I don't know why it looks the way it looks.

If you say you were able to get the effect to work, do you mean by adding the flag to the surface.txt entry, by editing a texture's alpha channel, by giving the surface.txt entry another shader collection entry, by shuffling around shader files in shader.zip from console to unified or by editing a shader file in shader.zip itself?

I only edited the texture as seen in the picture and after that I just shuffled around shaders and flags in the "seraphim-mystiquefx-wing_c" entry in surface.txt, and some combinations were able to provoke the t-energy.

I did not touch anything else.

Edited by Vishanka
1 hour ago, Vishanka said:

I would answer the question but I don't know, I cannot answer the question.

This answers it:

1 hour ago, Vishanka said:

So don't worry, now I know enough.

Try swapping “fx/black.tga“ with "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx.tga“ So you're using the same texture twice, once for texture0Name and once for texture1Name. Use the original, not your edited version.

Later, if you want to alter the transransparency, ideally you would want the original as texture1Name and your edited version as texture0Name. Which would require you to duplicate the texture and give it another name. Because then you can set the transparency of the effect in your edited version to as much as you want without changing the glow map's alpha channel.

Hope this helps, if not or open questions left, let me know.:Laie_58:

34 minutes ago, Lindor said:

Hope this helps, if not or open questions left, let me know.:Laie_58:

Thank you very much in advance!

I applied the changes the way you suggested but it's still invisible.

I've also tried a few other combinations with the textures (texture1 my own and texture0 original, and the other way round)
This is with texture0 being my own texture and texture1 the original texture0:

Edit: I should mention that no t-energy effect is happening here, it's just glowing

3kVP8FN.png

(in case you wonder; my edited texture is fractured like that, that's why it looks blue and white and strange)

inTqDSN.png

Edited by Vishanka

Hmm strange. I see two possibilities:

1. obj_fx_add doesn't transfer the t energy flag. Try using obj_d_s_b instead (or whatever shader collection the AS spider mount is using)

2. UV mapping issues with the model. Search for the model in the wing's itemtype.txt entry. Add “@te“ (no quotation marks)  at the end of the model name. If it's not working, you need to ask someone who is playing the console version to look up the model name for you.

1 hour ago, Lindor said:

Try using obj_d_s_b instead

With obj_d_s_b it's still invisible, however for my tests I started using obj_d_s_b_skin and it will make look... I'll just post the code it's so hard to explain

newSurface = {
  texture0Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx_orig.tga",
  texture1Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx_orig.tga",
  shader       = obj_d_s_b_skin,

HCz4ksa.png

Still no T-Energy Effect though.

And another attempt doing anything; this will show the effect but on the solid texture:

newSurface = {
  texture0Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx_orig.tga",
  texture1Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx_orig.tga",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED +  SURFACE_FLAG_SFX + SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY,
  shader       = obj_d_s_b,
}

Sbi8DNL.png

Adding "@te" into itemtype.txt results in not loading the models correctly anymore.

1 hour ago, Lindor said:

Btw your texture's looking great:thumbsupsmiley:

Thank you, I achieved the "final look" by adding all of these :connie_witchy:

flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED + SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY + SURFACE_FLAG_SFX + SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT,

shader       = obj_d_s_b_skin,

They could spawn tenergy on the non transparent spots and glow on transparency... I told you I have no idea what I'm doing :D

nTF7nxi.png

Edited by Vishanka

Oh yes, I completely forgot about SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED. Transparency on equipment won't be rendered ingame unless that surface flag is present (or SURFACE_FLAG_ZMASKED which inverts the alpha channel). Didn't use that in a while because lazy me used to set the alpha channel in the shader directly. Coding faster than image editing:D

IIRC then with SURFACE_FLAG-TRANSPARENT there's no 'in-between' anymore. The pixel is either fully visible or fully transparent. Therefore it's superfluous to use it together with SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED. Either use the one or the other. transparent will overwrite the masked effect I think.

SURFACE_FLAG_SFX has no effect whatsoever on any visuals. SFX=sound effects.

9 hours ago, Vishanka said:
newSurface = {
}

I think this is the most promising attempt. I'd go from here and change the texture0Name to your edited version. The intensity of the t energy effect is set by texture0Name's alpha channel.

I thought that the glow map, texture1Name might've been the one responsible for the black surface thing, but now that we've figured out that it was just me forgetting about SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED, it doesn't make a difference so you can just revert it back to fx/black.tga or whatever else you want the glow to look like.

5 hours ago, Lindor said:

I think this is the most promising attempt. I'd go from here and change the texture0Name to your edited version. The intensity of the t energy effect is set by texture0Name's alpha channel.

This way it will render anything below a certain alpha level invisible, there's no more or less transparent parts and it will not show most of the texture, just the t-energy parts

newSurface = {
  texture0Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx_custom.tga",
}

dcpoRvy.png

Here's the same with the original Texture

E2DdR8b.png

And when I add the transparent flag it will at least show the more transparent parts, even though without t-energy

newSurface = {
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED + SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY + SURFACE_FLAG_SFX + SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT,
}

m8TKmQb.png

it's from the texture being gradient

Better visible with the custom texture

rgLK1oT.png

Phew, that's odd. Then we need to 'fake' it. Two possibilities:

1.Start with the first method of your last post. Add SURFACE_FLAG_SHELLFX and SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT. Remove SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED. Change fx/blue.tga to fx/noise.tga. Hope is that the normal map noise transfers some of the T-Energy into the transparent areas for a smooth transition.

2. Don't create the T-Energy effect from SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY. Remove that flag and instead create your own T-Energy effect by using the lava or the mtllava shader collection (mtl=metal=more shiny with fake reflection from skyboxing). You can take a look at how Flix has done this with Tinworas Curse in EE.

19 minutes ago, Lindor said:

Phew, that's odd. Then we need to 'fake' it. Two possibilities:

1.Start with the first method of your last post. Add SURFACE_FLAG_SHELLFX and SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT. Remove SURFACE_FLAG_MASKED. Change fx/blue.tga to fx/noise.tga. Hope is that the normal map noise transfers some of the T-Energy into the transparent areas for a smooth transition.

2. Don't create the T-Energy effect from SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY. Remove that flag and instead create your own T-Energy effect by using the lava or the mtllava shader collection (mtl=metal=more shiny with fake reflection from skyboxing). You can take a look at how Flix has done this with Tinworas Curse in EE.

Thanks, I'll try it in 2 days, my ssd just died 30 minutes ago with Sacred and my mods on it and I ordered a new one and hope to be able to salvage some data from the old one :) I'll tag you when I'm back.

22 hours ago, Lindor said:

I hope that's the way you described

newSurface = {
  texture0Name = "maps/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_sera-mystique-wing_fx.tga",
  texture2Name = "fx/noise.tga",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_SHELLFX +  SURFACE_FLAG_SFX + SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY + SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT,
}

It does something blackish transparent without t-energy with the original texture, with the custom texture there's also no t-energy, just darker, is the order of the flags relevant, maybe there's a mistake?

fAus4U7.png

Edited by Vishanka
23 hours ago, Lindor said:

I don't yet fully understand the behaviour of the texture with the lava shader but it's something.

I'm using:

newSurface = {
  texture1Name = "fx/noise.tga",
  texture2Name = "fx/noise.tga",
  flags        = SURFACE_FLAG_SHELLFX + SURFACE_FLAG_TRANSPARENT,
  shader       = obj_d_s_b_lava,
}

Suggestions?

2 hours ago, Vishanka said:

I don't yet fully understand the behaviour of the texture with the lava shader but it's something.

Lol you accidentally created something beautiful :lol:

2 hours ago, Vishanka said:

Suggestions?

Iirc, then texture3Name determines the flow of the lava shader. Try adding one additional texture and experiment with it:smile: I think flow direction is determined by the texcoords.

• Like! 1

Ouuuh how about that... that's the endijian wing effect I guess, perfect for the seraphim-highelf mod

13 minutes ago, Lindor said:

Iirc, then texture3Name determines the flow of the lava shader. Try adding one additional texture and experiment with it:smile:

I'll try around a bit more, thank you for your help! Strange though that the transparency did not work for the t-energy effect the way it does for lava

On 9/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, Vishanka said:

Ouuuh how about that... that's the endijian wing effect I guess, perfect for the seraphim-highelf mod

I'll try around a bit more, thank you for your help! Strange though that the transparency did not work for the t-energy effect the way it does for lava

Np:sun:And how's it going?:dance2:

• Appreciation 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, Lindor said:

3. If it's not working, check wether an accident happened in itemtype.txt. Maybe someone confused "seraphim-angeldustfx-wings-var3_c" with "seraphim-angeldust-wings-var3_c". The itemtypes in question are 10603, 10604 and 10605. surface0 should always be the fx one and surface1 the one without fx.

I think that pretty much covers all the options, I'm sure you'll get it to work:)

In the PFP, it's numbers 10602 (var1_c), 10603 (var2_c) and 10604 (var3_c).

The var wings have this in the model0Data:

model0Data = {
      name         = "models/heroes/seraphim/sets/angeldust/c_sera-angeldust-wings.GR2",
      surface0     = { mgr.surfGetID ("seraphim-angeldustfx-wings_c"), mgr.surfGetID ("seraphim-angeldustfx-wings-var3_c") },
      surface1     = { mgr.surfGetID ("seraphim-angeldust-wings_c"), mgr.surfGetID ("seraphim-angeldust-wings-var3_c") },

The other "vars" have the same, except their respective number.

However, there is also 1405, which has the model0Data empty and has only the base model defined. No surfaces:

model0Data = {
      name         = "models/heroes/seraphim/sets/angeldust/c_sera-angeldust-wings.GR2",

Considering that there are 4 total variations of the wings, could this be the cause?

EDIT:
Nevermind!!!!. It was actually the simplest solution, the #1.

The var3_c was missing the SURFACE_FLAG_TENERGY in surface.txt. Added it and the wings are now animated correctly. I was originally looking at just "seraphim-angeldust-wings-var3_c" and not "seraphim-angeldustfx-wings-var3_c".

anim.jpg.9e5798ab037e2ff69d2dc432e8ed9bb3.jpg

Also, back on the topic of the ATTACKX animations, it turns out that not all of them are working. On the Seraphim, all I tried worked without issues and hit twice whenever they triggered. But now I'm playing a Temple Guardian, and even though the animation triggers, the 2nd hit never lands/happens with a 1 handed weapon. BUT, when on the Mobiculum, it triggers and hits twice correctly, so with Battle Extension active, you can land 4 hits in one attack if the ATTACKX animation triggers. Seems like Ascaron either didn't have time to completely finish all of them, or some of them are simply broken. It'd probably be best to try out all the melee ATTACKX animations for all weapons on all characters and list which of them mechanically work and which of them do not. All of them can trigger, but apparently, not all of them can actually land 2 hits.

And one more very important thing: as the PFP removed all the ATTACKX animations from the animation.txt, they all have to be restored. Not only the attacks themselves, but animations for mounts, special mounts, animated clothing etc. Otherwise, they are completely stationary. Just found out that the Mobiculum for example, has a separate animation for the ATTACKX attack than all the normal ones. Gonna be a hell of a copy&paste job, especially for the Inquisitor's clothes (gonna leave that for last :Just_Cuz_21:). Also will eventually test all the characters. Once I'm done, I'll share the updated file with anyone who wants (for use with PFP), but it's gonna take a while...

The attack animations so far (will keep updating as progress goes on):

DONE, FIXED & TESTED - Seraphim and Temple Guardian.

LEFT TO TEST - Shadow Warrior, High Elf, Dryad, Inquisitor, Dragon Mage.

Spoiler

Seraphim - all melee ATTACKX animations work correctly.

TG:

1 handed on foot ATTACKX animation does not trigger the additional hit. CAN be fixed by adding another ATTACK occurence in the animation definition. :bounce: Now does 2 hits when it triggers and 3 with Battle Extension active.

1 handed Mobiculum ATTACKX animation actually triggers 2 additional hits. Does a double swing with 3 instances of damage. Battle Extension adds yet another hit, for 4 hits in a single attack. Pretty nuts, but it behaves this way when just copied from the vanilla definitions, so working as intended.

Temple Guardian is the fastest to go through as he can only use 1 handed weapons and daggers. Will probably continue the list.

I think I got the TG covered. Fixed whatever issues the animations had (changed some timings around) and seems that everything is in order. All the ATTACKX animations, on foot, on mount and on special mount are working as they should. Interestingly enough, the bonus hit from Battle Extension works even on the normal horse, if you swap to it before mounting.

But I need to go back to re-check the Seraphim, as I didn't test absolutely every weapon/mount combo with her.

Seraphim should be done too. All melee ATTACKX animations, on foot, mount and special mount work correctly. Also slightly adjusted some timings to best fit the contact points to the animation. The dual wield on foot ATTACKX animation is awesome looking.

And now for the hard part. The last 5 remaining classes :P I still have a high level Shadow Warrior in store, so he's probably next on the chopping block. After that, not sure when I'll get to the 4 remaining classes.

And one more find - the % that shows up once you reach weapon lore mastery is actually the percentage you have to roll the ATTACKX animation. I reached 44% and it triggers very often. So it's not an increase, but shows the actual chance you have to get the double hit animation. The + in the value is irrelevant, like with Spell Resistance Mastery. This fact actually makes melee Weapon Lore skills relevant again, as it can increase DPS significantly.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Appreciation 1