Brandy Pairing?

I have a quick question. In Vintage Story, I've finally reached the ability to distill all types of alcohol. So, brandy caught my eye because it's one of the types of alcohol that never rots. However, I've never had brandy, so I'm curious what a person would pair it with. It doesn't exactly matter, but it's a roleplaying game, so if I can roleplay it, then I'm gunna do that stuff up right, ya know? Sit in my kitchen, watch the sunset, have a glass, I just need to know what to pair it with. Internet says..... all types of stuff; some say that you pair it with a dessert, others say you don't pair it with anything. That second group is one I'm a little skeptical about; I mean come on, I found a chart about which types of beer pair best with different types of jerky. So, the reason why I'm asking here instead of the Vintage Story forum is because I see posts from chefs, foodies, and folks that just enjoy a glass or two at dinner. So, to you kind folks: what pairs well with a brandy?

• Like! 1

What is brandy?

Weinbrand, Brandwein, Cognac, ... Wiki says all are brandies.

Weinbrand and Cognac have to ripe in oak barrels for nearly a year. They are drunk after the meal or alone.

Remy Martin Louis XIII is around 4000€ the bottle :o

• Like! 1

Well now... I am not a brandy expert, but if my 5c are worth anything I shall share my limited knowledge.

First, it will depend on the type of brandy and the flavours you get from it, also how smooth or "harsh" the mouth feel is.

for a smooth, brandy, I will say have it clean. chilled, maybe if it is very strong and you don't want to get to drunk, dilute with a bit of water, or over ice...

Something that is very common here in South Africa, and I do not enjoy it myself, is Brandy and coke. (or as a real boer seun will say, Klippies en Cola (klippies being a shortened word for Klipdrift, a brandy available here). My father used to drink brandy and water with ice. But a tall glass with a double shot brandy, filled with ice and water. so very diluted.

Brandy pairings with food... mhmmm. something that has a smokey ness to it, and I would say a bit of a fat content that the brandy can break through, I personally would not recommend it with something light like a salad, or vegetable based dish. It might go well with a creamy pasta carbonara, the smoked flavour from the pancetta and the creamy sauce will be offset by the brandy.

Desserts, well, rich, heavier baked puddings, like a brandy pudding should obviously pair well, most chocolate dishes, also because of the smokey hints in the brandy will go well with chocolate and it will break through the chocolate that coats your palette, or have it after the meal, as a digestif with chocolate truffles or madeleins.

Use the big balloon glasses.

Hope it helps

• Like! 1
On 3/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, DocHoff said:

I have a quick question. In Vintage Story, I've finally reached the ability to distill all types of alcohol. So, brandy caught my eye because it's one of the types of alcohol that never rots. However, I've never had brandy, so I'm curious what a person would pair it with. It doesn't exactly matter, but it's a roleplaying game, so if I can roleplay it, then I'm gunna do that stuff up right, ya know? Sit in my kitchen, watch the sunset, have a glass, I just need to know what to pair it with. Internet says..... all types of stuff; some say that you pair it with a dessert, others say you don't pair it with anything. That second group is one I'm a little skeptical about; I mean come on, I found a chart about which types of beer pair best with different types of jerky. So, the reason why I'm asking here instead of the Vintage Story forum is because I see posts from chefs, foodies, and folks that just enjoy a glass or two at dinner. So, to you kind folks: what pairs well with a brandy?

Hi Doctor!

Its interesting how real life your game can get, all the way down to distillations? Ive walked into homes in Sacred and sacred 2 and never even been offered a glass of wine, always had to steal scraps from tables looking for gold!

:lol:

gogo

On 3/7/2022 at 8:45 PM, DocHoff said:

On 3/8/2022 at 6:53 AM, Delta! said:

Well now... I am not a brandy expert, but if my 5c are worth anything I shall share my limited knowledge.

First, it will depend on the type of brandy and the flavours you get from it, also how smooth or "harsh" the mouth feel is.

for a smooth, brandy, I will say have it clean. chilled, maybe if it is very strong and you don't want to get to drunk, dilute with a bit of water, or over ice...

Something that is very common here in South Africa, and I do not enjoy it myself, is Brandy and coke. (or as a real boer seun will say, Klippies en Cola (klippies being a shortened word for Klipdrift, a brandy available here). My father used to drink brandy and water with ice. But a tall glass with a double shot brandy, filled with ice and water. so very diluted.

Brandy pairings with food... mhmmm. something that has a smokey ness to it, and I would say a bit of a fat content that the brandy can break through, I personally would not recommend it with something light like a salad, or vegetable based dish. It might go well with a creamy pasta carbonara, the smoked flavour from the pancetta and the creamy sauce will be offset by the brandy.

Desserts, well, rich, heavier baked puddings, like a brandy pudding should obviously pair well, most chocolate dishes, also because of the smokey hints in the brandy will go well with chocolate and it will break through the chocolate that coats your palette, or have it after the meal, as a digestif with chocolate truffles or madeleins.

Use the big balloon glasses.

Hope it helps

I wish Id been born with better nose, cuddling up to huge balloons of brandy's sounds down right comforting! Mom used to only have an affinity for cognac, and only when I'd visit a few times a year, the good stuff would come out...though once, because its drank so rarely, the cork stopper disintegrated and fell into the precious gold liquid below, alas... lost bottle

:blink:

gogo

Sorry for the late reply. Absolutely we can distill; ale, wine, brandy, mead, sake, whiskey, vodka. There's also a variety of juices. Mind you, the game's not just about what you can do in the kitchen. But while you're in the kitchen, why not enjoy yourself?

• Appreciation 1
20 hours ago, DocHoff said:

but while you're in the kitchen, why not enjoy yourself?

Boom! that sentiment says it all to me. Its the reason why I dont like to prep too much during my thirty minute lunches at home for work. I find the act of chopping veggies, and then throwing them on the pan, with a piece of meat, then after onto a salad or a plate to be engaging and relaxing and gets me able to get the afternoon work done.

IMG_7725.jpg

Now...if only there was time for a wee nip of brandy 

:devil:

gogo

1 hour ago, DocHoff said:

Wow! My lunch usually consists of lunch meat, slapped on wheat bread and squirted with condiments.

My aunt makes the best curry from luncheon meat.. spamy curry anyone?

1425534044-Takashi_inside.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

If it is good stuff then just drink it like an alternative to malt whisky. Or you may try to develop it as Armagnac which is similar but suits my taste better. I think it may only be a question of what wood is used for ageing.

I use it for cherry brandy; which is just what it says, pricked cherries, sugar, brandy. Do not stone the cherries...chuck them in a jar, cover with brandy, add sugar, close jar, leave for about 6 months shaking occasionally to prevent sugar settling on bottom.

We have also been introduced to Brandy Butter for Xmas. The person who told us used it with Xmas pudding, apparently a southern English variant. We stuck to our white sauce flamed with rum, but found the Brandy sauce good for other things.

It would be a pity to use good stuff for cooking, but it has many traditional uses in the kitchen....hic.

P S I remember now that my buddies for curling in Perth (the Scottish one) used to drink brandy and lemonade as a long drink...which always struck me as somewhat sacriligeous for a Scot.

Edited by Bondbug
something I forgot
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went on a whole little mental journey with this one. In the end, I decided that if I'm going to roleplay, I'm going to stick w what I know: beer. So, I waited for my beer to ferment, thinking of what I could call it. Hoffweiser? Or maybe Hoffeweizen? Before I could think of a fun name for it, I discovered that alcohol in Vintage Story sucks. One little sip and you go from stone sober to stumbling drunk. There's no glass of Scotch on the patio while contemplating life, or even taking a six pack with you while aimlessly wandering (one of my fav things to do in the real world). With a whole world to explore, I don't think my character would like being crashed out on the kitchen floor at 18:30 just because he had a sip of something with dinner. That's cool, though, I can still use my fruit press to make juice. Hey, there's no shame in my character having fruit punch in his travel flask :)

• Haha 1