Modifying core/system game files - s2core.dll, s2logic.dll, s2editor.dll

Hello modding community, :bye:

Primarily to help in fixing bugs, I would like to edit the DLL files. From several mods I can see that this is already being done several times. However, while browsing the forum, I can't find a single discussion / explanation on how you guys do this. Because I doubt that you just look at the DLLs with a HEX editor and play around as per try & error. 
So how have you decompiled the DLL files?

I assume for legal reasons the knowledge about this has only been shared via PM. Consequently I understand of course if my post will be deleted right away.

@dimitrius154 @Flix and @Lindor , based on your mods and posts, you may be able to help me in this.

Thank you in advance. And thank you for your awesome patches and mods!

• Like! 1

Hello.  I use OllyDBG

All I ever done with it is examine the code and sometimes export parts of it in text format. I've never tried editing or recompiling any binaries.  That is exclusive to Dmitriy's efforts I believe.

• Thanks! 1

Greetings!

OllyDBG is being used for EXE and DLL modification, CheatEngine(my deepest thanks to Mr. DarkByte) - for real-time debugging. A while back, our colleague @Pesmontis had made a partially successfull attempt to translate Sacred 2 binaries' contents into pseudocode, his notes serve as an invaluable reference material.

2 hours ago, LuckBruck said:

Because I doubt that you just look at the DLLs with a HEX editor and play around as per try & error

There was lot of trial and error(far less now, but still present), though, unlike Elder Scrolls I: Arena(a 16-bit application), I never had to resort to editing via a Hex editor, while cross-referencing the expected code strings in OllyDBG.

• Thanks! 1
2 hours ago, LuckBruck said:

Hello modding community, :bye:

Primarily to help in fixing bugs, I would like to edit the DLL files. From several mods I can see that this is already being done several times. However, while browsing the forum, I can't find a single discussion / explanation on how you guys do this. Because I doubt that you just look at the DLLs with a HEX editor and play around as per try & error. 
So how have you decompiled the DLL files?

I assume for legal reasons the knowledge about this has only been shared via PM. Consequently I understand of course if my post will be deleted right away.

@dimitrius154 @Flix and @Lindor , based on your mods and posts, you may be able to help me in this.

Thank you in advance. And thank you for your awesome patches and mods!

And as well a hearty welcome to the forums!

Todays offerings for new members is choice of local harvested maple syrup or our world renowned poutine!

ultimate-perfect-poutine-fries-cheese-curds-gravy-recipe-hero-2-7637732f8c174bc59f9b84e7b6e6b660.jpg

:)

gogo

Well, since this thread has been created, let me ask a question, specifically about s2render.dll.

The one used in most mods seems to be the same. I am OK with pretty much all the changes/fixes it includes, except one. That being, the increased animation blending speed. For that reason, I am sticking with the vanilla file. But because of that, I'm losing out on some other fixed/improved stuff.

Would it be possible to take the s2render.dll from PFP or CM Patch, and revert this one change back to vanilla?