3D Chess Board

SheHawk

I wish to sincerely apologise for not posting in such a long time, due to health problems that I have been having, which has taken a long time for me to sort them all out and that is what I have been up to since I last posted here. I ask that you please be gentle with me with your comments, I really would apperciate that and please do leave me comments, I would really appreciate that too. I have been learning new ways to do things in Sketchup Make 2017, that I did not know about until I watched many Sketchup Tutorials on YouTube, one of them was about how to make chess pieces and I immediately got hooked. I thought to myself. 'Yes, I could do that and also make my very own chess board.' I did look for images of different chess boards and I decided to make one of my own creation. The only thing I needed was an image of all of the different Chess Pieces.

1275153840_ChessPieces.png.f033d8783a4f17f6ebd88b7f7d29be11.png

Chess Pieces Image

I did the chess pieces first, one of each first and then I made the actual chess board

1536870273_ChessBoard1.thumb.jpg.1e00a52d1c4368dd976de149579503d2.jpg

Chess Board 1

I duplicated the chess pieces that needed to be duplicated and placed them on the board itself, for the main surface of the board itself, the black and white checks, I used an image refference. However, after importing the image into Sketchup, I drew all of the squares so that I could repaint over the checkered board, as you can see why, not only that, but I thought that black and white marble textures would also work better.

19e7-chess-board-0-1-1800x1200.thumb.jpg.f5e443157c6129ad932d82a4c2c5265c.jpg

Chess Board Image Refference

2120101728_ChessBoard2.thumb.jpg.d7d332844ab35f7513501f360d31903a.jpg

Chess Board 2

1405046925_ChessBoard3.thumb.jpg.e7414f4780039f95a3a8ee15f4f1a8f5.jpg

Chess Board 3

1857304953_ChessBoard4.thumb.jpg.e7f8164d8b3417e28b6817286a1ad86e.jpg

Chess Board 4

I know and realize that the black pieces are not a perfect black collour, when I tried to use one, all of the details of the chess pieces could not be seen properly, I tried varies shades of black until I found one that help to keep the deatails in view, so please do not point out that the black shade is wrong, for this reason, please. I wanted to keep the details of the chess pieces to be visable, I hope that you all understand that. If you would like to inspect the Chess Board in further in full 3D, please feel free to check out the link here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/a025d59c-a3f9-4177-8899-92e31f6cdc88/Chess-Board

Beyond all of this, I hope that you like my model.

Edited by SheHawk
  • Appreciation 1
On 9/12/2022 at 8:54 AM, SheHawk said:

I wish to sincerely apologise for not posting in such a long time, due to health problems that I have been having, which has taken a long time for me to sort them all out and that is what I have been up to since I last posted here. I ask that you please be gentle with me with your comments, I really would apperciate that and please do leave me comments, I would really appreciate that too. I have been learning new ways to do things in Sketchup Make 2017, that I did not know about until I watched many Sketchup Tutorials on YouTube, one of them was about how to make chess pieces and I immediately got hooked. I thought to myself. 'Yes, I could do that and also make my very own chess board.' I did look for images of different chess boards and I decided to make one of my own creation. The only thing I needed was an image of all of the different Chess Pieces.

1275153840_ChessPieces.png.f033d8783a4f17f6ebd88b7f7d29be11.png

Chess Pieces Image

I did the chess pieces first, one of each first and then I made the actual chess board

1536870273_ChessBoard1.thumb.jpg.1e00a52d1c4368dd976de149579503d2.jpg

Chess Board 1

I duplicated the chess pieces that needed to be duplicated and placed them on the board itself, for the main surface of the board itself, the black and white checks, I used an image refference. However, after importing the image into Sketchup, I drew all of the squares so that I could repaint over the checkered board, as you can see why, not only that, but I thought that black and white marble textures would also work better.

19e7-chess-board-0-1-1800x1200.thumb.jpg.f5e443157c6129ad932d82a4c2c5265c.jpg

Chess Board Image Refference

2120101728_ChessBoard2.thumb.jpg.d7d332844ab35f7513501f360d31903a.jpg

Chess Board 2

1405046925_ChessBoard3.thumb.jpg.e7414f4780039f95a3a8ee15f4f1a8f5.jpg

Chess Board 3

1857304953_ChessBoard4.thumb.jpg.e7f8164d8b3417e28b6817286a1ad86e.jpg

Chess Board 4

I know and realize that the black pieces are not a perfect black collour, when I tried to use one, all of the details of the chess pieces could not be seen properly, I tried varies shades of black until I found one that help to keep the deatails in view, so please do not point out that the black shade is wrong, for this reason, please. I wanted to keep the details of the chess pieces to be visable, I hope that you all understand that. If you would like to inspect the Chess Board in further in full 3D, please feel free to check out the link here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/a025d59c-a3f9-4177-8899-92e31f6cdc88/Chess-Board

Beyond all of this, I hope that you like my model.

Happy seeing you back SheHawk, and in good spirits! Chess was something I dabbled in as a youngster, reminds me of my brother and Dad who were always there to play with when i was was younger.

:)

gogo

• Respect! 1
On 9/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, gogoblender said:

Happy seeing you back SheHawk, and in good spirits! Chess was something I dabbled in as a youngster, reminds me of my brother and Dad who were always there to play with when I was was younger.

:)

gogo

Thank you so much for your comment Gogo, you really made my day. It is good to be back after so long. I tried to play chess once, but I wasn't very good at it. You did not say, but do you like the whole chess board? It took me some time to do each individual chess piece and to duplicate the ones that needed duplicating and then placing them on the chess board in the correct way. I used a chess set up refference image for that, as I was not too sure of the back line up, I knew that the Rooks/Castles go at each end, it was the placement of the bishops, knights, the king and queen I was not all too sure about. So I am very glad to have that refference image.

Edited by SheHawk
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Gogo. Did I say something wrong? I hope I have not offended you in anyway. I just genuinely wanted feedback about my model, it helps to have feedback. It looks like you are the only one to have made a comment. Is evreyone all busy or something? Sorry to ask, it just that I have noticed a drop in people commenting on my posts and I sincerely want to know if I have done or said anything wrong that has stopped them from leaving me comments. I sincerely apologise in advance for anything I have done or said. I do most sincerely want to try and do my best to support this site by sharing my models here. I wish I had more to say about Sacred 2 as I really do appreciate that this is what this site is Primarily for. I honestly can't really bring anything new to the game or share any kind of a discusion to do with it, beyond my own ideas for alternative characters and my own personal expereince that I have had with the game, which I have not played in a very long time due to my health issues. I'm looking foward to getting back to playing the game, though I do wish that there was more that can be done in the game. Modding aside that is, if I could mod, I would make some of those islands around the Seraphim Island to be explorable with monsters to fight. There is only 2 things that I can think of right now that I would like to discus about the Sacred 2 game, though I am unsure to mention them or not, just in case the two topics have already been talked about. But those two things that I have mentioned are the only things I have that are at least related to the game. I have nothing else further to add. I wish I could add more or do something that would help, or at least I hope it helps this site. One last thing, I no longer get email notifications from this site when someone reesponds to my posts. I'll understand if I have been taken off the mailing list, since I have been inactive for so long and I am even sorry about that, I truly am. I truly love this site and want to be to the best of my ability to do so, be a contributer to this site, in the best way, as much as possible. I'm sorry if I seem to be failing in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 3:31 AM, Hooyaah said:

Welcome back, Amy! It seems that lately most members have has their own life challenges and assorted reasons for not posting as of late. One should never take a lack of replies to a post as negative feedback. Although, it's understandable that you would appreciate some comments after all of the fine work you did as evidenced above.

I admire the design of the pieces and the board is designed quite suitably as well. The rooks are especially interesting, as they would possess a low center of gravity, if produced. Perhaps, the whole set could be designed with that feature in mind so as to make it well suited for travel. Some company might wish to produce and market such a set with magnets on the bottoms of each piece and  an accompanying magnetic board. It would be a great boon for Chess enthusiasts on the road in a car, train, plane, or even at a campsite. It's apparent that you have a creative mind and love putting it to use. So, why not profit from your talents?

Best wishes to you and may your health issues be resolved soon. I have been following the sound advice I have seen on the YouTube videos of Dr. Eric Berg and am healthier than I have been in years. I have also lost almost all the weight that I wanted to. I haven't far to go now. I hope that life shares some pleasant surprises with you too and very soon. Don't be a stranger here, Okay? :JC_wanted:

Thank you so much Steve for your comment and I really do appreciate that. And I truly do understand that others here most certainly have their own individual problems. Though like you said, it is good to have feedback, where it can be given. We all need feedback in our lives as so best to help us all better ourselves from feedback. We can observe from others, but not learn completely from just observation alone. Feedback from one pefrson to another is equally important. Thank you, I like the rooks too. I thought about doing them original to how the image of the rook is shown in the line up. (Chess Pices Image) But a part of me had a sudden thought. 'What if I was to make the whole rooks rounded insteaad' and that is of course what I went with. Just in case if you are interested I used a tool in Sketchup, called the Follow Me Tool

900418644_PawnProcess1.thumb.jpg.927d4c07f282aa06b68858c5c959394f.jpg

Follow Me Tool. Pawn Process 1

It is okay if you have never heard of this tool before. I have never used it that much before, I tried to use it once, but could not get the hang of it at first until I began to look up a lot of tutorials on YouTube that demonstarate on how the tool works. I am glad I had watched them. I have been able to make a fountain and a bookcase using this tool. As you can see in image 1 there is a half drawn Pawn Piece, drawn directly from the Chess Pieces Image. Only actually one half the pawn and all of the other pieces need to be drawn. (All Except for the Knight) The circle that you see will eventually be deleted and the base for the chess piece gets added later. For now I have just highlighted the outer side of the drawn circle, as that is all that is needed, this acts a guide for the Follow Me Tool to follow. I forgot to mention I select the tool and place it on the half drawn pwan chess piece after selecting the path for the Follow Me Tool to follow and the moment I click on that tool, the half shape gets magically turned into a fully 3D form. That there within itself simply amazes me that it can do that and that I am grteful for the fact that it can do so.

249869300_PawnProcess2.thumb.jpg.b7281909070320f595faa6902f142a7d.jpg

Follow Me Tool Pawn Process 2

As you can see by image 2 that there are lines going all the way around the pawn. I first create the base for the pawn to sit upon and then I smooth out those lines.

419759449_PawnCompleted.thumb.jpg.8c7aa03f8a52f64c1e47bc43b6dc4237.jpg

Pawn Completed

What I end up with after doing all of that is what you see in the Pawn Completed Image. Only The knight was not done in the same way as the other chess pieces. Actually I never would have thought about showing my design to a chessboard making company. I like and love your suggestion to make the chess pieces magnetic and the chess board to be made of metal for the magnets to stick to. I would love it if I could make money from such an invention. My only real concern is that I am currently on ESA (Employment Support Allowance) In the support sector of that, here in the UK, as I have long term mental illness among other health problems that prevent me from ever doing work. Anyway, I get free meds and treatments at the hospital. I know that there is private health, the drawback with that, is, if one is rich enough, they can afford any amount of medical bills. At least that is how I think a private hospital would think in such ways. I hope I am wrong about that, sadly in today's world, money seems to be everything and that lots of people are simply greedy for it. So even if I could afford Private Medical care, for me personally I would not want have to overly pay too much for such a privilage. Because if it costs too much, then it really is not a privilage at all.

PS. I nearly almost forgot. I will do my best to not be a stranger here. I will see what else I can share here with you all.

*Hugs* Thank you so very much Steve. You're awesome and very much appreciated. Oh one last thing. Can you or gogo look into the matter of my not getting any notifications please if it is not too much to ask for. I'm still not getting any.

Edited by SheHawk
10 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

I understand and sympathize with the fact that everyone has a different emotional sensitivity. However, most people do appreciate recognition for their accomplishments and desire such validation and a sense of purpose.

I'm sure that you have been in a busy public place where there are crowds of people passing by a lovely statue (or other work of art) and all of them seem oblivious to its beauty. We humans get caught up in our day to day routines and often become insensitive to the beauty all around. What is important in life, is to do what you love and do it with all that you have within you. If someone takes notice or you find a way to profit in some way, then find a blessing in that. For, we all search for a purpose and meaning in our lives; I hope that you find happiness and fulfillment in your life in this way also. Always aspire to be the best that you can be. Vincent van Gogh was not recognized in his lifetime, yet his works are now considered among the most beautiful and ingenious oil on canvas paintings ever created. I hope that you learn to be proud of what you do and when you find one or more others who admire your work, enjoy such a true, wondrous blessing.

Wow! Such words of wisdom you have there Steve and I really appreciate your understanding of my sensativity and you nailed it on the head. About the need for validation and a sense of purpose. Though I do not want that to come off in the wrong way and for people think or feel that I am trying to be the center of attention. I want to assure anyone that, that is not at all the case. It is sad for me to say truly so that much of my life no one really appreciated me, that alone affeted me both mentally and emotionally. Although I have come a long way since then, I do not mind admitting that I still have yet a long way to go. But I am at least trying to get there and that is all that anyone can do, is but to try and do their best. Yoda would not be happy with that *Lol* "Do or do not. There is no try."

A nice quote but not entirely practical, beause, as you said, a lot of peopel go through their own struggles in life and all that they can do is but to try to get through those very struggles. I do aspire to be the best that I can be, I think that we all strive to be the best verison of ourselves in life. It is my geninuine hope that one day I will find a way to get off the unployment pay support sytem, but they do not make it easy, any hint of anyone on benefit earning any extra amount of money immediately gets their benefits stopped, or cut down in payment. In short, if I did or could start to earn any money, that I would have to have more than enough money to be able to support me for the rest of my natural life, from the get go and that there is simply not possible or even remotely practicle, sad to say that is the way things are. Yep, life sucks.

Edited by SheHawk
  • Like! 1
On 10/9/2022 at 9:43 PM, Hooyaah said:

Yoda's terse quote has a certain ring to it, yet truly wise it is not. "Determination begets success, for without it there is only failure." is a more accurate statement. True determination never surrenders until its defined outcome is fulfilled.

Before entering into any sort of financial endeavor, you should seek the council of an attorney who specializes in the laws defined by your government, especially as it pertains to cases akin to that of your own. Perhaps an interested company would provide such council, gratis, were you to consider a marketing option for your proposed product, Miss Amy.

:hooyaah:

Thank you Steve. We call them Solicitors. (Lawers is stil Aremican based. Oopps, sorry about that) over here in the UK. Sorry to say that there is something else that prevents me from working. It is a personal and private matter. I mean I wish I could get paid for my ideas etc. As that to me is not exactly me working. I am just getting paid for something that I have created. If I am understaanding that correctly and sorry if the matter is not as simple as that. I have just suddenly remebered something. people on benefits are alowed to earn some extra money, but it cannot go over a certain amount. That said, someone like me should I want to earn extra money, it would look like to the people that pay me my benefits that I am not as unwell as I make myself out to be. Even though that is not the case, but these peopel follow very strict rules goverened by the UK government and they frown down upon people claiming benefits with illnesses such as mine that need to earn extra money. I am lucky that I can split the household bills with my roommate. Otherwise I definitely would not be able to manage all of them all on my own. And even those half bills leaves me with just about enough to support me for the two weeks that my benefit is meant to last for. Though sometimes, depending on what it costs me to go shopping online, as I am unable to physically go to the suppermarkets, neither can my roommate. There has always been an increase in prices. Now, even more so due to the crisis that we are in. In short, sometimes I do not always have enough money left over.

I hope and feel that even peopel that are in paid work end up in a similar situation to me. I mean not having enough money left over for things. So how can anyone expect someone like me do any better, I have no idea. The personal problem that I have, there is no cure for and it can't be treated medically. That is as about as much as I am willing to say on the matter. I'm on benefits for life. I'm not happy about it, but that said, there is no other better alternative. I trully wish that there was. I hope that you are able to understand my situation. It is okay if not, as I honestly do not expect anyone to be able to understand the situation.

Edited by SheHawk
  • Sad 1