Sacred 2 seems to not be able to autosave at some point and crashes somewhat after.

Good evening!

After years of gaming I am now on Windows 11, a powerfull GeForce RTX 3060, the game runs on an SSD and the processor shouldn't have a problem to handle it, being a i7 at 3,6 GHz.
The game is already capped at 100 fps to not overheat. ^^
But after an hour to at max two hours, the game crashes. It just vanishes without a error screen or anything else. After restarting I noticed, that the last autosave is some minutes behind. I didn't mind much since the difference was really small. But now I lost 10 minutes of gaming and a quest was suddenly not taken on anymore, which I certainly did accept. 

Any ideas what that could be?

best regards
Roderick

• Like! 1
On 9/18/2022 at 2:56 PM, Roderick said:

Good evening!

After years of gaming I am now on Windows 11, a powerfull GeForce RTX 3060, the game runs on an SSD and the processor shouldn't have a problem to handle it, being a i7 at 3,6 GHz.
The game is already capped at 100 fps to not overheat. ^^
But after an hour to at max two hours, the game crashes. It just vanishes without a error screen or anything else. After restarting I noticed, that the last autosave is some minutes behind. I didn't mind much since the difference was really small. But now I lost 10 minutes of gaming and a quest was suddenly not taken on anymore, which I certainly did accept. 

Any ideas what that could be?

best regards
Roderick

I'm here to gratz you on that specs worthy, SPECTACULAR new setup... :thumbsup: ... and I wish I could offer some advice on this crashes but I'm hoping that someone here with some better insight can help out. Funny how this game seems to beat up even the toughest of cards

:eek:

gogo

5 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I'm here to gratz you on that specs worthy, SPECTACULAR new setup... :thumbsup: ... and I wish I could offer some advice on this crashes but I'm hoping that someone here with some better insight can help out. Funny how this game seems to beat up even the toughest of cards

Thank you. Didn't want to pose around, just giving specs for trouble shooting. ^^ But yeah... my old pc was almost seven years old and did run 24/7 during 2 years corona time (working from home completely), wasn't too good for the hardware. So I started saving up money in case grafic card prices should drop and when they almost where normal I bought a system that should run for 10 years (working at office right now again).

(And I think grafic card prices are dropping even further right now. xD)

Sacred 2 didn't run for 30 seconds on first installl, luckly I got told here that Sacred 2 has no limit on fps and greedily used up everything it got, which was just too much. So limiting the fps got it running. So now I think there is a problem with windows 11.... because why it should not be able to do auto saves after an hour? *sigh* Maybe I reduce the fps further and hope for a miracle. xD

• Like! 1

You PC is overpowered for Sacred 2,  everything is processing so fast that Sacred 2 could not keep pace with:D

Seriously, win 7 is optimal for old games, even win 10 introduced some small problems for me(like I need to run it as admin now, otherwise some creepy server errors)

You cant even run on win10 some games like Vampire: The Masquerade( without fan-made patch, at least)

11 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Funny how this game seems to beat up even the toughest of cards

It was true during game release, I was stunned seeing frozen screen, after transition from S1 to Sacred 2:D

Now, only CPU can be a weak spot(if AMD card used and non-patched physics)

Edited by lacr
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, lacr said:

You PC is overpowered for Sacred 2,  everything is processing so fast that Sacred 2 could not keep pace with:D

It does run fine for over an hour every time, so it does keep the paceat least for a while. :D Have to play with a clock and take breaks on a regular base now. xD

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Roderick said:

It does run fine for over an hour every time, so it does keep the paceat least for a while. :D Have to play with a clock and take breaks on a regular base now. xD

In that case new Windows does care about your health - warming up is due every hour!:lol:

• Haha 1

The crashing is not related to hardware. Sacred 2 has always had a memory leak issue and the game will inevitably crash after some time, no matter what system you use. The time depends on how memory intensive areas you are moving around in. Places like Griffinborough would crash very often. Been happening on Windows XP and will be happening on 10/11/anything else. If you use Elite Textures, it can start crashing within minutes.

Most of the community patches/mods use a fixed .exe, which has more memory room, drastically reducing (but not eliminating) crashes. You can also use F7 to save wherever/whenever. Make sure to do that, especially when you get some good drops to prevent the risk of losing them to a crash.

Edited by idbeholdME

I am playing with community patch and S2EE. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I'll keep an eye out whether the crashes appear more often in densly populated areas. But I did had seassions bevor playing through half of the game in one go without crashing, so this is news to me.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, idbeholdME said:

If you use Elite Textures, it can start crashing within minutes.

Have no time to play for a whole day, however I'm playing for 1-5 hours without crashes at all eversince I started using community patch(well, actually, there is one specific place where game constantly crashes but it obviously has nothing to do with memory leaks). I'm using elite textures, , EE(it has its own super elite textures), and, attention:JC_wanted:, original physics dll with tons of particles(you can read at many places on this forum, that old physics dll is super buggy, laggy and prone for constant crashes), and yet my gameplay experience is super reliable : top of the stablest games in my library.

I have a problem with my shadow warrior being frozen in the place after playing for some time, but:

1)game does not crash, I can't control my character, but I can teleport him, exit to menu, reload and continue palying

2)this character save have undergone unpatched version , patched and patch fix and every version of EE, so I can't blame game code itself here

Regarding topic case, I am to blame either win11 or, maybe, ssd drivers, or, perhaps, both:dntknw:

Edited by lacr
  • Like! 1
4 hours ago, lacr said:

Have no time to play for a whole day, however I'm playing for 1-5 hours without crashes at all eversince I started using community patch(well, actually, there is one specific place where game constantly crashes but it obviously has nothing to do with memory leaks). I'm using elite textures, , EE(it has its own super elite textures), and, attention:JC_wanted:, original physics dll with tons of particles(you can read at many places on this forum, that old physics dll is super buggy, laggy and prone for constant crashes), and yet my gameplay experience is super reliable : top of the stablest games in my library.

If you are using the patched .exe (which pretty much every single mod uses), you can play with Elite textures just fine. I even use the vanilla physics .dll and full fledged Elite textures and crash only very occasionally.

I was talking about the vanilla version.

4 hours ago, lacr said:

I have a problem with my shadow warrior being frozen in the place after playing for some time, but:

1)game does not crash, I can't control my character, but I can teleport him, exit to menu, reload and continue palying

2)this character save have undergone unpatched version , patched and patch fix and every version of EE, so I can't blame game code itself here

Regarding topic case, I am to blame either win11 or, maybe, ssd drivers, or, perhaps, both:dntknw:

A character freeze after loading in to the game has been happening even as far back as Windows XP (when I first played the game).

The solution to that used to be PC restart, but I found out that it happens when there are extraneous Sacred 2 processes active in the Task Manager. Sometimes, the game does not terminate correctly. When you run the game with these extra processes running in the background, it very often leads to freezing. Whenever that happens to me, I just quit the game, check the Task Manager in Windows and terminate any sacred 2 related processess (Game Client, Game Server). Running the game after that fixes the freezing. The PC restart fixed that, because it got rid of the superfluous sacred 2 processes.

But I never had it happen to me in the middle of a game, so can't help you there.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Thanks! 1
1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

But I never had it happen to me in the middle of a game, so can't help you there.

As I wrote, it  most probably is the result of a broken save after transition between different mods, or a fair warning : "do not paly as SW":D

Still I have no random crashes in this game and if anyone has, the most probably reason for it : incompatibility of an old game code with modern software/hardware

Edited by lacr
  • Thanks! 1
12 hours ago, lacr said:

As I wrote, it  most probably is the result of a broken save after transition between different mods, or a fair warning : "do not paly as SW":D

I basicly only play SW, so that's no option.
Aaaaand I think it's more a problem of .... some other influences. I had some hours of unbroken, uncrashing gameplay the last days. Didn't change anything so far, so I am absolutely clueless. ^^'

EDIT: Jinxed it. xD Sacred 2 crashed 10 minutes after I wrote this. xD

Edited by Roderick