Leaping Plants DO have a melee attack after all.

We all know them. They just leap about and spit in your general direction, doing nothing in-between their spell casts (leap, spit).

However, when I revive the plants with Shadow Warrior's Rallied Souls, they leap at an enemy and.... actually proceed to use melee attack against them. This blew my mind, seeing them do something in their 5 second waiting time between spell casts. They still use their spells properly, but also use the melee attack, which I had no idea existed until now.

So now, I want to know if their AI/behavior could be adjusted to behave as they do when raised by Rallied Souls. It would make them so much better to fight and we would also get to see their melee attack animation.

Anyone any ideas? I took a glance at behavior.txt and the plant AI they use could probably be somehow modified to match their behavior when raised from the dead.

Anyone any ideas?

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Like! 1
18 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

The revived units use the hybrid melee/ranged AI. Sacred 2 developers have fallen into the same logic trap, as Diablo 2 developers. Which is kind of ironic.

Thanks for the insight. Can you tell which AI in behavior.txt do the raised units use specifically? Going to try to give it to the plants instead of their plant AI and see what happens.

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Can you tell which AI in behavior.txt do the raised units use specifically?

It's "Hireling_brave". Looks like it's affected by minion range and behavior settings' parameters.

P.S. By the way, your Weapon Mastery double strike attack assessment appears to be correct. Thus, I've restored the ATTACKX animations, although in a somewhat backwards manner. I also believe there's the ranged/melee check function involved, currently considering it's removal.

• Thanks! 1
16 hours ago, dimitrius154 said:

It's "Hireling_brave". Looks like it's affected by minion range and behavior settings' parameters.

P.S. By the way, your Weapon Mastery double strike attack assessment appears to be correct. Thus, I've restored the ATTACKX animations, although in a somewhat backwards manner. I also believe there's the ranged/melee check function involved, currently considering it's removal.

Thanks.

Seems that by default, the enemy Leaping Plants are actually set to use trap AI behavior. That would explain why they only use spells and do nothing else.

EDIT:

Giving them the hireling behavior lets them use melee attacks, but also makes it so the plants only attack and use spells when in melee range. Seems they get stuck in targeting mode when you walk away from them and until they can perform the melee attack (which they are no longer in range for), they stop moving completely. Once you get close again, they resume attacking and using spells.

The reason it works with the revived ones is because they get regularly teleported to you, which resets their behavior, so they once again leap at an enemy and continue attacking.

Will try a couple different AIs and see what happens, probably some ranged ones. The behavior could probably be edited manually, but my knowledge does not reach that far...

And yes, the ATTACKX works properly only with melee weapons. Ranged weapons can trigger the animation, but will still only fire one projectile. Tried adding another [ATTACK] entry in the animation.txt definition, but no luck. So it is better to remove them since they are longer than normal animations and you get locked in place for an increased duration for no benefit. Also should probably be removed for Staves, since they are now ranged by default.

The % stated on the Weapon Mastery tooltip is the actual chance to trigger the ATTACKX animation. It only shows up when you master the skill, but it increases the chance even as you put the points in before the mastery. It only receives a big bump at 75 points and shows up as a bonus.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • 3 weeks later...