Sacred Underworld: A strange request - CA Icons ( look into the texture file for the textures of the CA for upscaling)

Hello there, I have quite a niche request to make of you good people of DarkMatters.

(Bear with me, I don't even know what I'm talking about, I'm merely guessing. Also, dgVoodoo magic doesn't allow me to make a proper screenshot, so I'm using the ones which generate in the Capture folder. They are of abysmal quality and not even the proper stretched aspect ratio, but they still show my issue.)

Recently, I've graced myself with a beautiful install of Sacred Gold 2.28, all things included - dgVoodoo to play without a hiccup, stretched and full hd. The original Sacred ui to summon that sweet fantasy, rather than the grimness of the Underworld - this one even has the menu edited to fit everything properly, what an absolute joy. The guy even edited the character selection screen and all. (You can access it here if you haven't discovered this clean version yet, and want the original ui.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919939258

spacer.png

Trust me, the screenshots don't make the game justice, it looks quite good, both in menus and in-game. One thing still sours my autistic sensibilities however.

The dgVoodoo stretch and forced 1920x1080 res create the following visual artifacts on the Combat Arts screen.

The yellowish lines around the CA icons - it looks to me as if the regular images of the CA's were 'spilling out' over the intended capture area, due to the resolution, unnatural to the game. Thus, the game also captures some box in the texture files, around the CA icons. This is my guess, because the Combo icons do have a box around them naturally, which is meant to be captured, and it is. The CA's however, are meant to be clean circles, but now they display this artifact.

Thanks to fiddling with the PAK folder, which is now filled with TGA's of the custom ui and loading screens, I've had the normie epiphany that essentially anything can be extracted out of the texture file, and put back as a TGA, which is then preferentially loaded by the game. This even goes for custom icon art for the Comboes, which I've already tried - so I guess its the same for all the Combat Art icons of all the character classes.

This is my request - could one of you good souls of DarkMatters, who actually knows how to operate a computer, look into the texture file for the textures of the CA's, if, by any chance, they cannot be 'fixed' in any way. Perhaps by 'Upscaling' them somehow, or simply ridding them of the border bar, if there is some. If this is possible, and you could then upload the TGA files for all the various character CA's here, that would make me eternally grateful. It would fix the last visual glitch I'm experiencing on Windows 10, 1920x1080, and then I would truly have a clean, vanilla, yet perfectly intact, playable and gorgeous looking install of Sacred, with the original ui on top.

Seraphim CA page:

spacer.png

Battlemage CA page:

spacer.png

Thank you, Jacob

• Appreciation 1
  • The title was changed to Sacred Underworld: A strange request - CA Icons ( look into the texture file for the textures of the CA for upscaling)

Just try the pure hd mod from William Tokarev if you prefer the vanilla game with all its bugs and flaws.

You can also go for Sacred Reborn, which offers HD and many more features like rebalance, new systems, new items... It is a tiny bit rougher at the beginning, though. But you get used to it in no time.

• Thanks! 1
On 2/5/2023 at 10:56 AM, JacobWolf said:

Hello there, I have quite a niche request to make of you good people of DarkMatters.

(Bear with me, I don't even know what I'm talking about, I'm merely guessing. Also, dgVoodoo magic doesn't allow me to make a proper screenshot, so I'm using the ones which generate in the Capture folder. They are of abysmal quality and not even the proper stretched aspect ratio, but they still show my issue.)

Recently, I've graced myself with a beautiful install of Sacred Gold 2.28, all things included - dgVoodoo to play without a hiccup, stretched and full hd. The original Sacred ui to summon that sweet fantasy, rather than the grimness of the Underworld - this one even has the menu edited to fit everything properly, what an absolute joy. The guy even edited the character selection screen and all. (You can access it here if you haven't discovered this clean version yet, and want the original ui.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919939258

spacer.png

Trust me, the screenshots don't make the game justice, it looks quite good, both in menus and in-game. One thing still sours my autistic sensibilities however.

The dgVoodoo stretch and forced 1920x1080 res create the following visual artifacts on the Combat Arts screen.

The yellowish lines around the CA icons - it looks to me as if the regular images of the CA's were 'spilling out' over the intended capture area, due to the resolution, unnatural to the game. Thus, the game also captures some box in the texture files, around the CA icons. This is my guess, because the Combo icons do have a box around them naturally, which is meant to be captured, and it is. The CA's however, are meant to be clean circles, but now they display this artifact.

Thanks to fiddling with the PAK folder, which is now filled with TGA's of the custom ui and loading screens, I've had the normie epiphany that essentially anything can be extracted out of the texture file, and put back as a TGA, which is then preferentially loaded by the game. This even goes for custom icon art for the Comboes, which I've already tried - so I guess its the same for all the Combat Art icons of all the character classes.

This is my request - could one of you good souls of DarkMatters, who actually knows how to operate a computer, look into the texture file for the textures of the CA's, if, by any chance, they cannot be 'fixed' in any way. Perhaps by 'Upscaling' them somehow, or simply ridding them of the border bar, if there is some. If this is possible, and you could then upload the TGA files for all the various character CA's here, that would make me eternally grateful. It would fix the last visual glitch I'm experiencing on Windows 10, 1920x1080, and then I would truly have a clean, vanilla, yet perfectly intact, playable and gorgeous looking install of Sacred, with the original ui on top.

Seraphim CA page:

spacer.png

Battlemage CA page:

spacer.png

Thank you, Jacob

And here to hand you a hearty welcome to the forums Jacob.

Your intro to this game and how you found this action-packed, humorous game is a great read.  

Sacred is a  game that sticks with us  

It has talented modders that have allowed this game to remain beautiful and evolve.:crazy:

Thank you for finding us, and enjoy the community and dangerous  world of Ancaria

@Dax Thanks for the great suggestion of William"s  mod 

:)

gogo

@Dax Thanks for the reply, though I have scoured the internet for all things Sacred, so I've ran across PureHD and Reborn, and I think I prefer the true vanilla. The HD mods upscale things by making many ui elements tiny, and I don't like that, unless of course, that can be changed and I'm just inexperienced with them. Then I could try out PureHD I suppose. (I can't speak Russian and that is by far the largest Sacred related community, making the mods a bit tougher to set up, due to lack of info.)

Still, I would love to have the option to fully perk up the vanilla install as well, and the CA's are the final little blemish.

@gogoblender Thank you for the sweet welcome. It's lovely that there are still such active communities for such niche and old, yet excellent titles.