Sudden, massive fps drop after hours of playing

See title.
Happened a couple of times now.

The game runs just fine for several hours, zero stuttering or drops in fps.
All of a sudden, BAM - 5 fps. Not gradual, just a sudden loss of performance.
First thing I thought was my GPU was throttling massively from overheating, but it runs whisper-quiet here compared to other games where it sounds like a jet turbine with fans spinning to keep cool.

So what gives? Have there been similar reports before?
I did a quick search to see if other people had the same issue, but it was always slightly different.
Someone reported memory loss, another one talked about instant fps-drop when entering the game, etc.

Despite my limited technical knowledge of computers, I've still used them for 20+ years with all kinds of different problems needing to be fixed.

In case of a memory loss, I've always experienced them happening gradually, the game worsening over a period of time.

Hello.  Did you patch the executable for large address awareness or use one of the mods that does so like Community Patch or Purist Fixpack? Once the game exceeds a certain amount of memory usage you will see abrupt performance loss.  Most of the community mods also use a function that should purge the texture cache on teleport IIRC.

• Thanks! 1

What is the Purist Fixpack?

The Purist Fixpack (PFP) is designed to be the most comprehensive bugfix patch for Sacred 2, as well as being the most strict project in terms of not making subjective changes or adding any fan-made content.

It's been a while since I've played it, however I never thought of Sacred 2 as the most stable game anyway. I usually saved and restarted...

• Like! 1