Ubuntu World

gogoblender

I thought about putting an ubuntu bumper sticker on my amigo's patrol car... then I thought about that being a bad idea... never tried the linux, but I've heard good things... maybe next computer I will partition a few gigs to ubu.

-Total

I thought about putting an ubuntu bumper sticker on my amigo's patrol car... then I thought about that being a bad idea... never tried the linux, but I've heard good things... maybe next computer I will partition a few gigs to ubu.

-Total

It really is nice. And some versions look very much like windows--if that is your thing. Me--I'm trying to make mine look OS X'ish.

Now that I have everything running--for the second time. My next project is to get some documentation on Linux in general--going to learn the commands and such.

So much for the OS X look-alike contest....lol. I am done with that--having learned to love the default look.

Now I am still sticking to my guns on only using Linux. Of course that means that I have lost some of my applications. There are linux alternatives to many programs. But some of the alternatives are pretty obscure.

Two programs that I have used in the past are Dramatica(Didn't get a lot of use out of it but it's strange system forced me to think deeper into the innerworkings of my character's minds) and ywriter. So I went looking for Linux alternatives today--not really looking for something to write for me, just need a tool to help me organize characters, descriptions and such.

To make a long story short, my searches eventually yielded www.linuxappfinder.com. For those who don't know this site; after you register you can enter the name of any windows app and it will give you a list of Linux alternatives--if available. It gives a brief description, homepage, and price if any.

So I'm off to download Celtx, an alternative to ywriter and final draft.

Edited by Silearth
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice link there Silearth. www.linuxappfinder.com Sounds very useful. Should I be looking for alternatives I'll check that out.

A post you made recently about re installing XP gave me an idea... What about just emulating XP inside of Ubuntu? After a quick "google of ubuntu emulate xp" I read up on the first result there and there's some interesting but brief talk about using VirtualBox as a means to emulate XP. Sounds great to me! :superman:

Nice link there Silearth. www.linuxappfinder.com Sounds very useful. Should I be looking for alternatives I'll check that out.

A post you made recently about re installing XP gave me an idea... What about just emulating XP inside of Ubuntu? After a quick "google of ubuntu emulate xp" I read up on the first result there and there's some interesting but brief talk about using VirtualBox as a means to emulate XP. Sounds great to me! :blink:

I'll give that a look.

Right now I seem to be having some problems with my install. All are related to Firefox and some really massive slow-downs on pages with animation.

I'll just live with it for a couple weeks as the new version of Ubuntu will be out very soon. After that is installed I'll see about fixing my problems.

Right now I seem to be having some problems with my install. All are related to Firefox and some really massive slow-downs on pages with animation.

Is that anything gogo's posted on by any chance?!

:blink:

~Doom

Is that anything gogo's posted on by any chance?!

:blink:

~Doom

Well......now that you mention it......

Actually I narrowed it down to flash animations. Any page with flash animations keep my CPU running at 100% I installed Flashblock which blocks all flash, but gives me the option to run them by clicking on them. Now I am running smoothly again.

lol, It's not intentional I swear!

So ubuntu doesn't like flash? I'd try it myself but looks like my Ubuntu is messed up. Seems to not want to detect my video card anymore. :cow_white: Looks like I'll have to format and re install, ugh.

lol, It's not intentional I swear!

So ubuntu doesn't like flash? I'd try it myself but looks like my Ubuntu is messed up. Seems to not want to detect my video card anymore. :cow_white: Looks like I'll have to format and re install, ugh.

Ubuntu 8.04 is out in 16 days......relax for a while.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently installed 8.04 and I must say that I like it. Everything seems even smoother than in the earlier version. Of course I have not gotten everything up to date as I do not have an internet connection yet.

I've got the dual boot going again so I can have my sacred and eat cake too.