Unofficial Sacred Patch

Note from DarkMatters Admin:

Ascaron does not official support the use of editing for Sacred, this therefore leaves this thread in a contentious position. We have decided to allow the thread to remain until further official comment from Ascaron. All use of the following information in this thread are at your own risk.

;)

gogoblender

Hi,

today my unofficial Sacred patch was banned from the official forums.

So I hope it is allowed to post about it, here.

It's not about cheating or cracking or anything else destroying stuff.

Maybe some of you have heard about it. It targets to fix bugs and add features to the game for all game modes including closed net. Until now the patch was only available for the german version of Sacred Underworld.

I converted it to the english version. I have done this, because I have started working on a 2.30 patch that will bring up some new cool features to sacred. But in the first place I want to know if the 2.29 works fine with the english version. 2.30 will be available for most language versions released.

This Patch works on all game modes including closed net!

So think of this as a beta. :)

And give me feadback if thinks working fine or not.

What does this patch changes?

• fixes a crash on multiplayer (Don't know if you internationals have problems with this, it is a major problem on the german net.) Due to this fix it can happen that parts of chat messages don't appear. But this happens only if sacred had normaly crashed.
  • allows to change texts of the game (Cool for modders, it forces the file Global.res to load. Sacred Underworld normaly don't load this file. It contains all texts of the game.)
  • Multi-Instancing (You can start Sacred multiple times, so you finaly can mule with your self. If you have 2 or more CD keys.)
  • Sacred no longer clears the window if you switch to another window. (This is for chatting in the lobby, you can read the messages while you are doing anything else on another window.)
  • some internal stuff ;)

How to patch your Sacred

This version works only with Sacred Underworld 2.28 english.

• install the offical 2.28 patch
  • extract all files from the archiv into your sacred folder
  • execute the file Patch.bat
  • the patched sacred.exe is now known as sacred_229.exe
  • You don't need the original sacred.exe after you have patched it, but its saver to keep it.
  • start your Sacred by executing the sacred_229.exe

The new .exe is 2mb smaler than the original, thats correct. :hugs:

Download: inoffical 2.29 eng (11kb)

• Like! 1

Wow. It's both exciting and scary Thorium. :)

Though I've never had the pleasure of trying out the hard work that is your patch I have been aware of it for a very long time. I would first like to say congratulations on the project. I'm very impressed by your abilities to do this sort of work! ;)

That was the exciting part and here is the scary part...

Since you say that your patch has been deemed illegal as of today this is going to require a bit of thinking by FDM. Our host provider has a strict TOS(Terms of Agreement) that essential forbids illegal dealings. The reprecusions for which could be... painful. :hugs:

As such we will really need to take a decision on this which we'll make in a couple of days.

Truly Thorium it is a great shame that your hard work was not accepted. I hope your next endeavor will be much more "fruitful". ;)

• Like! 1
Since you say that your patch has been deemed illegal as of today this is going to require a bit of thinking by FDM. Our host provider has a strict TOS(Terms of Agreement) that essential forbids illegal dealings. The reprecusions for which could be... painful. :D

They not declared it as illegal. They just deleted the threads both in the international and german forums and write me a message that the patch is not sanctioned by Ascaron and it is not allowed to post informations or links to it on the official forum. That declares it as banned from the forums but it don't declares it as illegal at all. I think they don't want to declare it as illegal, they simply don't want the responsibility for this unofficial patch. Tollerating it on the official forum meens declaring it as legal and officialy supportet. Thats the point they banned it from the official forums. They never write anywere that it is illegal and I think they will not do it. :)

Hey there, been a while. Glad you made it into FDM safe and sound.

It is indeed a touchy topic, whatever the case might be stick around and be at home here. Ok :D

Can anyone please post the licence.rtf from the english version?

According to the german licence the patch is pretty legal. :D

I can explain why, but I can only show it with the german licence because I don't have the english licence.rtf.

It's also possible that the licences of english and german differ. Would be very interessting for me to take a look at the english licence.

Oh bad me... I just assumed you had been here for a long time already Thorium. I've read your posts elsewhere and I guess I just made the assumption you were a member as well. Whoops. With that regard I'd like to take a couple steps back and say... Welcome! :)

Ah ok. I see and understand your point about Ascaron's approach. Makes sense. I'll see about that rtf and PM it to you. :)

Sorry about the double post. *hopes none of the Moderators see* :D (Oh hmmm. That was awfully efficient of our forum. Added my second post to the one above, haha.)

I thought that it would actually be better to post rather than PM so everyone can see and understand the license in case they hadn't read it already.

END USER LICENCE AGREEMENT:

SACRED

REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS GAME IS NOT ALLOWED

Software License for SACRED

IMPORTANT – Please READ CAREFULLY: This License Agreement for SACRED (hereafter referred to as “The game”) is a legal agreement between you (either as an individual or as an entity) and Ascaron Entertainment GmbH, or Ascaron Entertainment (UK) Ltd, (hereafter referred to as AEG). By clicking on the "Yes" button, installing, copying, playing or otherwise using the game, you agree to be bound by the terms of this License Agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of this License Agreement, click on the "No" button and/or do not install the game.

1. GRANT OF LICENCE: AEG hereby grant to you a non-exclusive license to use the game, manual and documentation, provided you only: (I) use the game on any single computer; (ii) use the game on a second computer so long as the first and second computers are not used simultaneously; (iii) copy the game for back-up, and/or archival purposes provided any copy contains all of the original game's proprietary notices.

2. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS.

a) You cannot: (I) permit other individuals to use the game except under the terms listed above; (ii) modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble (except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by law) or create derivative works based upon the game or game documentation; (iii) copy the game or game documentation (except for back-up or archival purposes); (iv) distribute, rent, lease, transfer, or otherwise transfer rights to the game or game documentation;

b) You agree that you shall only use the game and game documentation in a manner that complies with all applicable laws in the jurisdiction in which you use the game and documentation, including, but not limited to, applicable restrictions concerning copyright and other intellectual property rights.

c) The game and game documentation is for private use only. You may not use or display this game for any commercial purpose. You may not distribute this game to third parties by any means available.

3. UPDATES AND ENHANCEMENTS. This license does not grant you any rights to any later enhancements or updates.

4. TITLE. Title, ownership, rights, and intellectual property rights in and to the game and game documentation shall remain in AEG and/or its suppliers. The game and game documentation is protected by the copyright laws of GERMANY and by international copyright treaties. Title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the contents accessed through the game including any content contained in the game media demonstration files shall be retained by the applicable content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or other law. This license gives you no rights to such content.

5. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY: THIS SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING FILES ARE SOLD 'AS IS' AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES AS TO PERFORMANCE OR MERCHANTABILITY OR ANY OTHER WARRANTIES WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. NO WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IS OFFERED.

The user must assume the entire risk of using the program. ANY LIABILITY OF THE SELLER WILL BE LIMITED EXCLUSIVELY TO PRODUCT REPLACEMENT OR REFUND OF PURCHASE PRICE.

6. TERMINATION: This License Agreement shall terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the limitations described in this license. No notice shall be required from AEG to effectuate such termination. Upon termination, you must destroy all copies of the game and game documentation.

7. MISCELLANEOUS. This License Agreement constitutes the complete and exclusive agreement between us. The terms and conditions contained in this License Agreement may not be modified except by a written document duly signed by you and an authorized representative of AEG. If however any of the provisions of this License Agreement are held to be unenforceable for any reason whatsoever, such provision(s) shall be reworded only to the extent necessary to make it/them enforceable, and such decision shall not affect the enforceability of such provision under any other circumstances, or of the remaining provisions hereof under all circumstances. This License Agreement shall be governed by the laws of Germany, without regard to any conflicts of law provisions.

Copyright © 2003 Ascaron Entertainment GmbH, and/or Ascaron Entertainment (UK) Ltd.

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. No part of this software or its associated documentation may be reproduced, disclosed or transmitted in any form, without prior written consent of Ascaron Entertainment GmbH, and / or Ascaron Entertainment (UK) Ltd.

Contact addresses:

Germany: Ascaron Entertainment GmbH, 66 Diesel Str, 33334 Guetersloh, Germany

United Kingdom: Ascaron Entertainment (UK) Ltd, Chantry House, High Street,

Coleshill, Near Birmingham, B46 6PB, United Kingdom

Hi folks,

as far as I can say as a Mod from the GSF:

1) The patch is not illegal - it's not offical (big difference imho)

2) The Threads about that patch are removed from the offical Ascaron websites because of that Ascaron will give no support for that patch and nobody should ask for support in the offical forums.

3) Thoriums work is truly respected by some of the Sacred developers.

I will keep, as long as I am one of the forum leaders of ciSacred,his announcement public for discussion. At RAD and HoPE I will also start a Thread about it (if Thorium didn't want to do this :D ).

Cheers

Pyx

Thanks.

There are big differences between the german and the english licence.

According to the english licence the patch is illegal.

The interessting part:

a) You cannot: (ii) modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble (except to the extent that this restriction is expressly prohibited by law) or create derivative works based upon the game or game documentation;

It's the modifieing think. All the other stuff is ok.

On the german licence is a part that allows modifieing under specific circumstances.

So sorry. It's up to you guys if you tollerate it here. The Patch itself is not illegal but using it is illegal for the english version according to the licence. Using the patch on the german version is legal. So I will make the patch for the english version anyway. But without a community I can show the patch it will just disappear and no one will ever hear about it. I know no other international site where I can release it.

Edited by Thorium

Touchee. I think that the english license absolves you of any sins that you thought you committed. although, the use of such patch is deemed illegal the creation of such patch is still legal, so go for it. I'm sure some daring gamers will bend a few laws here and there to play the mod. (I AM IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM ENCOURAGING ANYONE TO BREAK THE LAW. DO NOT BREAK LAWS. ITS BAD. I'M JUST SAYING WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN. SHAME ON YOU, YOU NAUGHTY LAWBREAKERS.)

-Total

As it's legal for Thorium to make the patches and host them on German websites, then I would think that as long as discusion is kept to an absolute minimum ("go to xxx website to download the unofficial patch"), then no actual laws have been transgressed by DM. One could always privately ask Ike for an unoffical comment.

My suggestion would be to close this thread and disallow any conversation that might cause English-version players to venture into self-implication. And anytime Thorium wants to post a link to a new patch, then that thread would be closed as well to prevent inappropriate discussion by English-version users.

Very good advice though I think at the present point this is not as serious a matter as I initially thought. We'll wait a few days first to see what can be found on the topic.

lol @ naughty lawbreakers :D

I converted it to the english version. I have done this, because I have started working on a 2.30 patch that will bring up some new cool features to sacred. But in the first place I want to know if the 2.29 works fine with the english version. 2.30 will be available for most language versions released.

Download: inoffical 2.29 eng (11kb)

Hi Thorium,

good to see you around again

I'm still feeling sry that as such poor non-progger/modder I couldn't help to get eng 2.29 done a bit earlier :D

I think all here can appreciate what you and SV did in the past,

thx for everything,

Greetings RL

Edited by Rotluchs

Hi Rotluchs, surprisingly much people from the german forum here. Good to see you. :)

I'm still feeling sry that as such poor non-progger/modder I couldn't help to get eng 2.29 done a bit earlier :o

No need for feeling sorry.

I would be glad if you can help me a little bit on the 2.30 by playtesting it. :D

But no testversion now. I am currently working on a feature requested years ago by the german community. (Don't know much about the international community now, but this is about to change. :drinks: )

I will concentrate my self more on the international community.

I think all here can appreciate what you and SV did in the past,

thx for everything,

Don't embarrass me. :)

I do this now only for personal pleasure, I get when I challenge my self.

Edited by Thorium

Thorium, first of all welcome to the boards!

The information here in this thread is rather fascinating, if not a touch contentious regarding Ascaron's stance on modding. I"m therefore just adding a note/disclaimer on DarkMatters' official position on this now until further notice from Ascaron to us. Powerpyx, thank you very much for your honest views on the topic. Very much appreciated and useful.

From DarkMatters Admin:

Ascaron does not official support the use of editing for Sacred, this therefore leaves this thread in a contentious position. We have decided to allow the thread to remain until further official comment from Ascaron. All use of the following information in this thread are at your own risk.

:agreed:

gogoblender

We have decided to allow the thread to remain until further official comment from Ascaron.

Thanks for the welcome.

What do you do if no offical comment arrives you?

Will this Thread stays open for the rest of time?

A little tipp if you don't get a answer or it don't sayes no. Than they want to say yes without giving you any proof you can later use against them or they just don't care about it. :agreed:

Thats a thing we (SacredVault) had to deal with for the last years and I am very tired about that. So I have started to simply don't ask them for anything. *g*

I am interessted whats darkmatters.org's position. Is this website something official or is it just a fansite?

Edited by Thorium

lol, Thorium, we're not going to ask hard questions for the time being :agreed:

The challenge here is in balancing interesting, fresh, edgy, out of the box content like your mod against Ascaron's good will towards us. ^^

We'll just wait and see if anything is communicated to us... and if we have time, we'll follow up with Carolyn from SIF.

And we're just a fansite for Sacred, probably the busiest English Sacred site on the game right now, after the SIF, especially with SacredWiki.

Since we get about thirteen thousand unique visitors a month on this forum alone, we are attempting to make sure that all is good concerning our relationship with our main game's creators, especially as they have officially supported the Wiki on the Sacred 2 site, and they have an official posting forum here at DarkMatters which Carolyn makes announcements on.

:)

gogo

[*]Multi-Instancing (You can start Sacred multiple times, so you finaly can mule with your self. If you have 2 or more CD keys.)

Oooh.. that would be so great. But should I try it... emmmhh.. let's hear the official word from ascaron first, would not like to get my accounts closed if they don't aprove it. But still, great work. Sounds too good to be true.

[*]Multi-Instancing (You can start Sacred multiple times, so you finaly can mule with your self. If you have 2 or more CD keys.)

Oooh.. that would be so great. But should I try it... emmmhh.. let's hear the official word from ascaron first, would not like to get my accounts closed if they don't aprove it. But still, great work. Sounds too good to be true.

Don't be feared about that. On the german community this patch is well known and many players use it now for about 1 year. No CD-Key will be banned.

btw, about multi-instancing:

only works in windowed mode right?

in full screen mode I get an DX error when trying to launch it multiple times.

is this specifically related to sacred somehow or to the characteristics of DX8?

(eg. fraps doesnt work with sacred in windowed mode because dx8 windowed apps are unsupported)

Edited by Rotluchs

is this specifically related to sacred somehow or to the characteristics of DX8?

(eg. fraps doesnt work with sacred in windowed mode because dx8 windowed apps are unsupported)

Nothing of this. ^^

It depands on your graphics card, if it can handle multiple fullscreen sessions.

Some graphics cards can't do this.

Works fine with my graphics card: nVidia GeForce 7800

Your right on the windowed mode. It allways works on windowed mode whatever your graphics card is.

Edited by Thorium

Nothing of this. ^^

It depands on your graphics card, if it can handle multiple fullscreen sessions.

Some graphics cards can't do this.

Works fine with my graphics card: nVidia GeForce 7800

Your right on the windowed mode. It allways works on windowed mode whatever your graphics card is.

an ATI X850pro AGP , Single Monitor/Desktop ...

(I prefer windowed over fullscreen anyway so I dont care that it doesn't work in fs for me anyway ;) )

Edited by Rotluchs

Just one question about the patch.. is there working account selector for this version as my old one is only 2.28 supported or could it be that it won't work because sacred is allready running? it would make alone muling lot faster if there is some type of account selector

after seeing this, I started wondering how it could be possible to play on closed servers with the patch installed. because wouldnt the altered game files be detected or cause some sort of desynchronisation with the servers or other players?