Regen Gone Mental

I noticed something fairly odd with Mental Regeneration today while working on damage charts. Odd enough to think I had a corrupted file. But Schot helped me out and found it was the same on his game.

Ment Regen will NOT increase spell damage if the bonus is on an item !

It will if you assign attribute points to Ment Regen.

Now the attribute description clearly states that it increases Spell Damage, so I was mightily confused at first. But Schot also tried in Plus with same results. I have never heard or seen this mentioned anywhere and thought I would post as a heads up for everyone.

Edited by Knuckles

You're right... after reading your earlier thread, I tested this this with my Daemon...had a ring of +46 mental regen... took it on and off with Schot right there...no difference to magic spell damage of any kind...and that's a lot of mental regen...just in case the believed-to-be damage scaled very slowly.

After seeing this, I'm convinced that from an item, it does not affect magic spell damage at all.

:)

gogo

p.s. hmmm, next question now is...do you think this kind of discrepancy regarding attribute mods v.s. same attribute mods via items...extends to other mods as well?

Ment Regen will increase spell damage but only by assigning Attribute points to it or from automatic stat increase from reaching next level.

This is the only one I've seen so far that there was a difference from assigning points or getting from equip. Haven't seen any other attributes behave this way (yet)

Now some Combat Arts are part melee and part spell but that's for another thread :)

Edited by Knuckles

I've actually never socketed mental regen for my hybrid seraphims, I'd always use mental regen from Attribute choice to power the netting armor. The only time I did use it via items was while socketing it for my energy bolts Daemon where the mental regen rings are extremely useful when socketed as a way of bringing down the regen for spells on a build which has to have almost all of the Combat Arts being read rather than socketed.

Your finding is very useful to anyone that thought they were actually getting this extra benefit of more magical damage for spells via items.

gogo

The mod doesn't have to be socketed for this to occur, it can be on any piece of equip. I've tried a Solwemyr's Ring in a ring slot and socketed and made no difference. The Sereish Lightning set has a couple with Ment Regen and if you wear them you'll see Ment Regen attribute increase but no corresponding increase to spell damage

What made this really confusing is that Ment Regen will lower Spell regen regardless if Ment Regen is from items or attribute points.

Edited by Knuckles

Now here's an interesting question... there seems to be a number of benefits that mental regen offers when chosen as an attribute choice. ( Didn't nightwolfe make a list of them on the sif? I'm trying to track them down now) If it's now been determined that items do not give extra magical damage for spells via mental regen... do you think that some of the other benefits from mental regen as an attribute could be affected by their use via an item... not just increased spell damage as you have found?

gogo

I looked at the stats.....I would have to do some more research on the boost to CA dmg she mentions with Ment Regen. I haven't seen that at all unless I had a weapon with some magic dmg already on it. Also the % increase might be off too but again need to research more. Maybe after I get these charts done :)

Really crazy find Knuckles. Man... In all the years I never noticed. Will the surprises never end?! lol. This makes me worry for the other attributes... You can bet from now on I'll be examining my character's items very closely. It's a sad day for all the spell casters of Ancaria. At level 100 a Battle Mage could have a lot of Mental Regeneration on his equipment which means a great deal of lost damage I figure. :cool:

Good question Erling

That one was harder to test since all spells benefit from dmg mods associated with 'spell forge'

But after doing some comparisons with different toons using 'Spell Forge' I'm confident in saying that all dmg increase is from the 'Spell +xx%" mod and the boost to Ment Regen does nothing other than help reduce spell regen

• 1 month later...

I was talking with Knuckles tonight about this intersting find he made. I never did see a huge benefit of investing all Att points on MR in a magic toon as it never really seemed to do very much but without his research I couldn't be sure:). The figure shown in the toons stats is not a true reflection as it shows all the bonuses from items that have no effect on spell damage. I now put all attribute points into strength when playing pure magic toons :P It may sound crazy but pure magic toons will get the most damage boost form magic lore and all there regen from MED and there specific regen magic. At higher level's the damage/regen boost from points investsed into MR would be very small. Most pure magic toons are very weak and would be better off with more hit points, this is why I started to invest all att points into strength as it gives a good HP boost when used with constitution. I've not tested it past gold but wondered what you guys thought of this? Could strength be the BM's new best friend ;)

Edited by Dobster

Hey Dobs, why don't you put points into PR instead for casters? 'Cause PR gives health regen as well as health (same amount of health per stat point as strength).

Hey Dobs, why don't you put points into PR instead for casters? 'Cause PR gives health regen as well as health (same amount of health per stat point as strength).

Hey mate, I was under the impression that strength gave more HP than phys regen, not sure where I got that from though :unsure:

If they give the same boost to HP then yes PR would be a much better choice, thnx mate

Hey mate, I was under the impression that strength gave more HP than phys regen, not sure where I got that from though :unsure:

If they give the same boost to HP then yes PR would be a much better choice, thnx mate

Yup, they both give +4 health per point.

Yup, they both give +4 health per point.

Thnx for clearing that up:)

So what do people think about this?

For a spellcaster s it better to have some extra spell damage and regen OR have more HP and health regeneration?

I've played quite a few pure spellcasters of differnet types to niob and found that there spells do more than enough damage that the points I invested into MR could have been put into PR. If I get the time I'll try a PR battlemage and see how he gets on:)

• 6 years later...

Gonna bump this old thread as a few guides mention trying to find gear with mental regen. I remember seeing gear with pretty high physical regen bonuses. Something to look out for when trading I geuss.

• Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

This thread was such a good read right now... Thanks Augmint for the link that led em here again... loved how we had to figger all this kind of stuff out in the old days by good ole trial and error and posts on a forum like this.

how gaming has changed

:lol:

gogo