What's the weather like over there?

3 hours ago, Knuckles said:

I'm confused by what 'cold blood horse' means.

The 'blood temperature' isn't actually about the real temperature, it's more about the ... spirit of the horse. Hot blooded h. are more agile and speedy, used for races for example. Cold blooded horses on the other hand are more enduring, they tow plows all day long or beer barrels and such. Wikipedia has some information and I'm sure chattius can explain some more.

640px-Brauereiwagen_Augustinerbraeu-1.jpg.9526dfc951280925648d6fb2784e5cfe.jpg

4 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Congrats on the foal :) I'm confused by what 'cold blood horse' means.

We got the horses together with the house 18 years ago.  The pre-owner was a now retired forest ranger. The race is named Rhenish German Coldblood. We call a draft horse a Kaltblut in german.

We use them for the movement of wood in forests. We sell single but good trees. Big machines would damage surrounding trees, the ground, need assess ways chopped, ....

We use the horses mainly when the ground is frozen, less overheating of the horses, easier movement when there are no mud pits, ... Buyers come and see which trees they need in summer. In autumn I use some evil mathematics to calculate how the trees can be chopped with least damage to the rest and minimal length of assess ways. Then our oldest daughter leads the chopping after the leaves fell for better control of the direction they will fall. She is studying arboristic and forest economy. In winter the trunks are moved. So the horses are really work horses :)   Even the twins use them for riding. Someone put a video on:

Difference to my place: we have mainly oak. We often use sledges and rolls because the trunks are bigger. The tool the worker uses is one of my favourites; one side a hammer the other looks like the beak of a raven. The beak is used to help a trunk to move in the right direction.

At few real life role play events I used it years ago and said it is a bec de corbin weapon ;) 

• Like! 1
On 3/19/2018 at 4:50 AM, chattius said:

-12C, 70km/h storm, snow in the air and our cold blood horse decided to have her foal in the night of Saturday to Sunday... Youngest daughter named her 'Hrina', Islandic (?) for a blow of ice and wind

Gratz on the new member of the family... must be adorable!

:bounce:

gogo

That's quite a lot of snow for this time of the year, Gogo! But don't worry, April the first will be here very soon, no fooling. It's spring here in Texas and you are welcome to visit and get some warm and sunny if you wish.

The Western Cape is blistering with heat... we have the odd day every few weeks that is overcast in the morning and every one gets their hopes up for rain, only to be disappointed in the afternoon. Today was about 35 C, and the evenings are cooling down. No water, and the government and Municipalities are trying to get people to use less water... recommending "No Shower Sunday"... yeah, I always work on Sundays and can't go to work without showering. 

9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

took this picture a few days ago while walking to work

IMG_8864.jpg

hmmm, its march...right...

:blink:

gogo

Ha....getting 6-10 inches tomorrow :P

Good God, it sounds like nature has some of your areas bent over a barrel, that sucks!! We don't get terribly adverse weather. What we get, especially during this time of year, especially during the last five years or so, is wild weather fluctuations. What we get is all season packed within a week, pretty much every week. So, it literally fluctuates between like 14 degrees one day and 70 the next. Personally, I think it's kind of rad; I've never seen snow and thunderstorms happen at the same time before.

• Like! 1

Yeah this winter hasn't been one of the nicest. From a 3 week long cold snap to 4 Nor'easters in March (4th hitting today), it's been a bit of a wild ride.

Where do you live Gilberticus? Only time I've seen temperature swings like that was in Colorado. I was there for a few weeks and we went from 70°F one afternoon, to heavy snow only 3-4 hours later

• Like! 1

Ohio. From now til next Wednesday, we're going to bounce around from 19 to 60. This is either the raddest or freakiest thing I've ever see, not sure which one yet.  Have you ever prematurely got an ice cube from the freezer and it has a little water pocket in it? That's what snow is doing here. I hit a patch of that just today in my back pasture, luckily I was wearing a pair of Rockies, gotta love those boots! Who knew snow could have little encapsulated pockets of water under the surface? Not this ole boy, and I've lived here most of my life.

• Like! 1

TBH it looks like the red car may have been pulling out of it's parking spot...the car on far left is much closer to curb than red one. But that being said, how the heck do you do that in what looks like a downtown business district...aren't the speed limits fairly low?

I was there with Schot actually just staring for at least thirty minutes at this scene... for some reason it look sooooooooo long for the authorizites to arrive at the scene and pull the cars apart.  I have more pics and even a video I took...the lady who  was in the red car was just ranting and ranting into her phone... a huge incredulous tone in her voice... she just wouldnt let it go it seemed, and the other gentleman in the other card was just having arms crossed waiting for someone to come by.  A lady I spoke to that was there earlier said they were both trying to get the parking spot, one person reversing and the other moving forward.. this make sense?  

It was a weird surreal moment...like something out of a disastrous super heroe movie...

:blink:

gogo

Nothing says Spring is finally here more than gently falling snow...umm......what?....yeah snow...getting 3-5 inches today....Winter is now officially being a jerk...time for you to go old man...let Spring have it's time (New England is notorious for going from Winter straight to Summer...well least it feels like that way too often)

• Like! 1

Last week, we saw a  snowstorm that left us with a foot of snow on the ground. A day or so later, it was High 60s . High 50s today, with a lot of rain.  In nine hours, we're going to be like 38, with more snow. The last time I saw a back and forth like this was when I was tinkering with a mod in Rimworld and made it too imbalanced. I'm kind of digging it, though, because summer will be here very soon, which mean mowing season bc my lawn grows at a beastly rate. Dang, a dude gets a little over zealous one time with weed n seed, and he's got to pay for it for the next ten bloody years!

im down here in the states visiting Mom for the break (Bethesda/Potomac) .  She was bragging about the hot weather they were having the week before I arrive here, but looks like I brought some cold weather here :lol: .. still... the cherry and pear trees are in bloom here, and the Washington Tidal Basin is starting to bloom and the cherry blossom tour busses are making their way around the areas showing off the foliage.. if only we had some more sunlight. :blink: 

movie.JPGIMG_9116.jpgMOVIE2.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

• Like! 1
On 4/3/2018 at 5:18 AM, chattius said:

Easter Sunday morning we had a rain storm with ice and snow. So the egg search was delayed till afternoon when a bit sun was out.

But Easter Monday: perfect weather to do a walk with the younger kids (olders had their boy friends invited). And there are big signs of spring: The boar is saying: watch for your kids and I will watch for mine and we are fine.

Stayed just long enough for a quick look and a photo.

Frischlinge2-1.jpg

Good job on this photo, Chattius!!

:gogo:

gogo

Driving to my mom's place... this is the best time of the year, bloossoms are in full bloom power... this is the ride to my mom's place.. pear trees on the left, and rows of trees along the outsides... this is Democrazy Blvd in Bethesda:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOVUfiSoXZXhq6eJbPAA4OytSbbu3ZE7ctFt3x-

IMG_9176.jpg

Think we had 1 nice day in last few weeks...just raw, wet and miserable here. Feel bad for the Boston marathon runners today. Windy, rainy and high in the upper 30's. Not a nice day for a long run. I know I may complain about the weather just a wee bit but I guess that comes with working outside a lot. Just about finished with all the storm(s) repairs.

My daughter had just asked me what the worst weather to work in is....easy answers would be blizzards and thunderstorms but we don't work in those...too dangerous. So what would be the worst I'd actually work in. Has to be a day like today. Windy, rainy with temps in the 30's. Once your hands get wet, they cramp and you can't feel anything or hold anything. I've had days where we'd work for 15 minutes then run inside the van and put our hands on the heaters for 15 minutes. Then go back out for round 2. Rinse and repeat for the whole day. Though today is one of those days, I'll be inside shop all day...phew :P