What's the weather like over there?

You know this look in the face of your dog when he sees you taking the dog leash?

This happiness, running cycles around you and can't waiting to go out with you?

Sadly there is another: a single half opened eye telling you 'Really? It is 37C, all dried out, no single mud pit to jump in, ... OMG why do I have the most stupid dog owner in the world!' And all this said with a single half opened eye.

And my 'human -> dog' dictionary says nothing how to translate: 'Sorry, a stupid Mustang owner drove into a boar and we have to search it because a possible injured boar close to the senior home could be dangerous''

• zomgod! 1

There's a popular song here in Germany which describes it perfectly:

I've had large stomach issues since early yesterday, not very pleasant. My dad thinks I've had a heat stroke and adviced me to stay in low temperature areas (easier said than done). But it has become a little bit better, I can at least sit again now, yesterday I had to stay in bed/bathroom. Also we had a small rain over night which dropped the temperature for a little bit which might've helped, although right now we're back to heat record again.

• Sad 1

Heat- or sun stroke? I hope the difference is same in english.

Sun stroke: too much sunlight against the head. But moving to a shadow helps because the rest of the body with its blood is cooler than the head. I wear strawhatseven it looks strange,

Heat stroke: body temperature is way too high. Way more dangerous, body looses liquid because of heavy sweating. You should drink, but vomiting makes attempts to give water to a victim dangerous.

Heat strokes are allways a danger at firefighting, heavy protection gear, heat from fire, at this heat only 10 minutes direct at the fire. Which is a bit complicated at smaller volunteer firefighter teams. In summer we have always a team from a neighbour village as a reserve.

9 hours ago, chattius said:

Heat- or sun stroke? I hope the difference is same in english.

Sun stroke: too much sunlight against the head. But moving to a shadow helps because the rest of the body with its blood is cooler than the head. I wear strawhatseven it looks strange,

Heat stroke: body temperature is way too high. Way more dangerous, body looses liquid because of heavy sweating. You should drink, but vomiting makes attempts to give water to a victim dangerous.

Heat strokes are allways a danger at firefighting, heavy protection gear, heat from fire, at this heat only 10 minutes direct at the fire. Which is a bit complicated at smaller volunteer firefighter teams. In summer we have always a team from a neighbour village as a reserve.

Heat stroke since it happened over night. The day before I went out with the dog and it was waaay too hot outside, but when I came back I was fine, even could eat a pizza without problems. But the next morning the trouble appeared. The two things I can eat now are apples and "Laugenstangen vom Naumann", everything else comes straight out again. Don't know the translation of "Laugengebäck":3lmao:

I'm drinking a lot of water and camomile tea. Also I'm taking a really horribly tasting medicine, but I don't want to take it for too long since it can damage the liver.

• Sad 1
55 minutes ago, Lindor said:

The two things I can eat now are apples and "Laugenstangen vom Naumann", everything else comes straight out again. Don't know the translation of "Laugengebäck":3lmao:

A Laugenstange is a pretzel where the baker forgot to form a pretzel and puts the long roll in the oven:theuns:

lye long-roll

laugenstangen-selbst-gemacht.jpg

Recipe:

http://www.germanfoodguide.com/recipes.cfm?recipe_number=18

We do them at firefighters as a snack to take with at calls. Very often we do 'filled' variants when we have enough dough and time. My favourite: Handkäse, onions and dices of smoked pork fatback. I know I am a barbarian :)

zweierlei-gefuellte-broetchen-F8546804,i

Rezept:

https://www.lecker.de/zweierlei-gefuellte-laugenstangen-73607.html

• Like! 1
23 hours ago, Lindor said:

There's a popular song here in Germany which describes it perfectly:

I've had large stomach issues since early yesterday, not very pleasant. My dad thinks I've had a heat stroke and adviced me to stay in low temperature areas (easier said than done). But it has become a little bit better, I can at least sit again now, yesterday I had to stay in bed/bathroom. Also we had a small rain over night which dropped the temperature for a little bit which might've helped, although right now we're back to heat record again.

stomach issues are the WORST Lindor... and this is an issue thats come of late...ahh, these years :oooo: Always have Tums on hand,if not for alieving, at least for their yummy flvaors!

Get better!

:schot:

gogo

• Thanks! 1
7 hours ago, Lindor said:

Heat stroke since it happened over night. The day before I went out with the dog and it was waaay too hot outside, but when I came back I was fine, even could eat a pizza without problems. But the next morning the trouble appeared. The two things I can eat now are apples and "Laugenstangen vom Naumann", everything else comes straight out again. Don't know the translation of "Laugengebäck":3lmao:

I'm drinking a lot of water and camomile tea. Also I'm taking a really horribly tasting medicine, but I don't want to take it for too long since it can damage the liver.

We had a almost 30 day yesterday, a few of my friends' children got heat stroke as well, after being well lathered up... serious ailment, shade is where to go

:)

gogo

ps @Lindor ...  new avatar.. im a HUGE fan of Pogo... dudes a genius! noone edits or *picks* out tunes better... picked up by Pixar.. course!

• 3 weeks later...

For our five days in Barbados we had some of the miserable weather to be seen... cloudy skies, over cast weather, rain...deluges of rain... enough to force our wedding indoors and drown out a few nights at the bar (yee gads :eek: )  however... spaced out through all this were beautiful moments. Great sun, perfect blue sky, and some 85 degree water enough to just get back our faith :lol:

IMG_9952.jpg

Luckily we had clouds, but no rain, and 20C. Luckily because we visited a show for farm animals and even it is located mid in a forest  - 30+C and burning sun would be too high for farm animals which have to be tied because of savety reasons.

The good digital cameras were with the kids so I was using my old analog Leica M5, just developed the film and scanned.

Dülmener, around 300 of them live more or less free. Last 'wild' horses in Germany.

334146113_Gul-Kopie.thumb.JPG.4255a3a32ea08e21e98d95ba5c636cb5.JPG

Farm museum has an old smith

1985666029_Schmiede-Kopie.thumb.JPG.f6d046707ed136a57e13ca8625a4973f.JPG

This photo was by our second with a digital

That was one of the things grandpa did in afterwar times to earn some money. Carving wooden models from farm work for schools to show and teach kids in towns. My younger sister has them and a few are at a school museum in Berlin. These were carved by one of the museum people. Front is farmer sewing and his wife with a harrow to bring the seeds under the soil. The harrow is towed by a cow and and a donkey and shows the difference ways between a horse and a cow to attach them to a harrow or waggon. Our area had Hauberge, type of communal forest and mine management. A small cow was used for milk, pulling farm tools,, ... The donkey for the mine and for farm so the animals were used to work together.

Background is a baking house day;firewood, breads, ....

Holzschitzerei.thumb.JPG.7d619f7ba562a13a8501a27f5048f1ce.JPG

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, chattius said:

Luckily we had clouds, but no rain, and 20C. Luckily because we visited a show for farm animals and even it is located mid in a forest  - 30+C and burning sun would be too high for farm animals which have to be tied because of savety reasons.

The good digital cameras were with the kids so I was using my old analog Leica M5, just developed the film and scanned.

Dülmener, around 300 of them live more or less free. Last 'wild' horses in Germany.

334146113_Gul-Kopie.thumb.JPG.4255a3a32ea08e21e98d95ba5c636cb5.JPG

Farm museum has an old smith

1985666029_Schmiede-Kopie.thumb.JPG.f6d046707ed136a57e13ca8625a4973f.JPG

This photo was by our second with a digital

That was one of the things grandpa did in afterwar times to earn some money. Carving wooden models from farm work for schools to show and teach kids in towns. My younger sister has them and a few are at a school museum in Berlin. These were carved by one of the museum people. Front is farmer sewing and his wife with a harrow to bring the seeds under the soil. The harrow is towed by a cow and and a donkey and shows the difference ways between a horse and a cow to attach them to a harrow or waggon. Our area had Hauberge, type of communal forest and mine management. A small cow was used for milk, pulling farm tools,, ... The donkey for the mine and for farm so the animals were used to work together.

Background is a baking house day;firewood, breads, ....

Holzschitzerei.thumb.JPG.7d619f7ba562a13a8501a27f5048f1ce.JPG

These photos are outstanding. There really is a dif tween phones and cameras eh :D  Those old analogs draw so much detail out of the out door shoots... lighting is extraordinary.

We've got a beauty day here as well, gonna be around 25 and dry.. a good saturday. 

gogo

19 hours ago, gogoblender said:

These photos are outstanding. There really is a dif tween phones and cameras eh :D  Those old analogs draw so much detail out of the out door shoots... lighting is extraordinary.

We've got a beauty day here as well, gonna be around 25 and dry.. a good saturday. 

gogo

The negative is 24*36mm. My negative scanner does 3900 dots per inch. So modern digitals have a better resolution than old analogues, given they have good optics. Smartphone with 50 megapixel? The resolution is way too high to be supported by the tiny optics. The advantage of analogue was (is?) that the optics and analogue films were fitting together,

For monochrome, 4 rgb pixels give one monochrome pixel, a 50MP is more or less around a 20MP monochrome. So here an old analogue is still doing fine, specially the 6*6cm or 6*9cm analogues.

Another advantage of the analogues are digital photo laws in Europe: using them is not considered creating a digital database. So you can do a photo without asking. But you have to ask if there are people on it and you scan it to make it public. In this moment it is considered digital. My second uses a double-eyed analogue for snapshots and street photography, just for this reason. You can capture the moment, and if there are people on it you can ask after doing the photo.

Nobody is angry if you shoot wiith one of these, but use a long digital tele when there are kids around, parents can demand that you show the last photos, to them or to police. Even the new tele smartphones can bring you in trouble.  So best for street photos is using an old analogue, which looks like an analogue.

768px-Rolleiflex_f2-8-F.jpg

3 hours ago, Daedalus said:

It's 22 C in belgium at the moment but it is not expected to last as a heat wave is coming next week.

They forecast 35 C for sunday 17/07 :evil:

morning Daedalus!

heat wave...lucky!

I find these mod temps around 20 to 24 coolish.. .nice for out door exercise...but i wanna sweat a bit now this summer!

:JC_rimshot:

gogo

Covid...i caaaaaaast yeeeeeeeeeeeee out! ... oh well...almost...  lookit at this great weather we gots here.. noone says no to 21 in the morning... a great run yesterday and hoping for some more of the good air... have a great day Fam!

IMG_0329 Copy.jpg

gogo

• Like! 1

21 degrees here in the morning, perfect weather for early morning run.  This weather climbs easily into the high twenties and one of our air cons has gone down from old age or is clattering a little too much... :lol:  good ole best buy looking for da dealz

67951698668__DBDA9C15-238F-48C1-8FCF-CAB8E5F4BB4A.jpg

38+C in shadows. Wife got 3 emergency calls in less than two hours because of overheating older people in a senior home 5 miles away. Ambulance cars need up to 20 minutes to find a hospital which will take one because of covid patients in needed rooms or nurses got it themself.

• zomgod! 1

I heard about that huge heatwave in europe chattius, that italian trains had to be turned off because of small fires that were being ignited by brush near tracks. 

Im always worried about senior homes, my 98 year old ammamma is in one, your wife is good to help our seniors

:heat:

gogo

Yesterday I did a big warning sign on the private forest road to our house: No Parking!

They can park on a field away from forest. But catalysators are a risk if a car is parked above dry leaves and small branches. I understand that they want their car in the shadow when they walk with their dog. But at this drought they should leave the car at home and do a walk with the dogs, and not - worsed case- park and let the dogs out while still sitting in the car.

https://kobi5.com/news/fire-in-shasta-county-caused-by-bad-catalytic-converter-152755/

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

Yesterday I did a big warning sign on the private forest road to our house: No Parking!

They can park on a field away from forest. But catalysators are a risk if a car is parked above dry leaves and small branches. I understand that they want their car in the shadow when they walk with their dog. But at this drought they should leave the car at home and do a walk with the dogs, and not - worsed case- park and let the dogs out while still sitting in the car.

https://kobi5.com/news/fire-in-shasta-county-caused-by-bad-catalytic-converter-152755/

hot weather, dry tinder, lots of heat sources ... ahh the butterfly effect

:oooo:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Still no rain and a forest fire less than 15 kilometres away. A whole Autobahn between our forest and the fire, but all dry gras or farmland on the other side of the Autobahn. So we were in high readiness.

Firefighters used heavy armoured equipment and luckily a bathing lake was not too far away. But it was emptied quickly and nearby farmers were bringing water in an endless chain.

• zomgod! 1
16 hours ago, chattius said:

Still no rain and a forest fire less than 15 kilometres away. A whole Autobahn between our forest and the fire, but all dry gras or farmland on the other side of the Autobahn. So we were in high readiness.

Firefighters used heavy armoured equipment and luckily a bathing lake was not too far away. But it was emptied quickly and nearby farmers were bringing water in an endless chain.

I cant imagine how frightening that must be.  My brother used to live in a tinder-dry province British Columbia and he pointed to a hill where the firefighters made their last stand to protect the town behind them where he used to live in Kamloops. People were so edgy there in that time, and I used to smoke... you should have seen the glares I would get from people, and in the town no less!

:D
:blink:

:eek:

gogo

Are you good in bowling? Fire extinguisher balls have a lot of uses. They trigger when being in an open flame for 3-5 seconds. So you can roll/throw them into a fire from a distance, They can be dropped from a remote control multicopter. And, our main use, then can function as a guard. In an engine room or in our case  if you fear that a still glimming fire might flame up again. So some hundreds of these balls are on small podests in the ash of the forest fire now.

Funny there are different shapes: football for US market, handball for europe, bowling if you can't throw but roll to the fire at long halls with a low ceiling, ....

9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I cant imagine how frightening that must be.  My brother used to live in a tinder-dry province British Columbia and he pointed to a hill where the firefighters made their last stand to protect the town behind them where he used to live in Kamloops. People were so edgy there in that time, and I used to smoke... you should have seen the glares I would get from people, and in the town no less!

Laws are a bit different from state to state and I live at a state border. On this site: If there is highest danger for forest fires smoking is not allowed beyond the warning signs.  Anyone caught with a cigarette in a forest may be accused for tried negligent arson even the cigarette doesn't cause a fire. He may even get a ban, not allowed to enter the forest again.

• Like! 1