What's the weather like over there?

• 2 weeks later...

Quite damp and windy in this part of the country. Getting the full blast of the gulf stream usually means the snow doesn't stick around for too long.
Took some nice pictures late last year:

111.jpg

222.jpg

• Like! 1
6 hours ago, Sirius said:

Quite damp and windy in this part of the country. Getting the full blast of the gulf stream usually means the snow doesn't stick around for too long.
Took some nice pictures late last year:

111.jpg

222.jpg

wooooooooooooooow!!! I just love where you guys live! I dont know if i could ever used to seeing that in the sky full time! Though I live near the mountain here in MOntreal and at the oratory right down my street people climb up to look at the very long sunsets in summer. 

Today while out early running the weather wasnt the warmest but you can see the oratory early in the morning :)

IMG_4076.jpg

28 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

wooooooooooooooow!!! I just love where you guys live! I dont know if I could ever used to seeing that in the sky full time!

You might be mistaking the top picture for northern lights.
I've only seen them once in my lifetime. They are far more common farther north in the country, not down here in the west/southwest.

These were just some windswept clouds appearing behind the mountains after sunset. Still a great spectacle that I just had to take a picture of.

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, Sirius said:

You might be mistaking the top picture for northern lights.
I've only seen them once in my lifetime. They are far more common farther north in the country, not down here in the west/southwest.

These were just some windswept clouds appearing behind the mountains after sunset. Still a great spectacle that I just had to take a picture of.

Its true, i had mistaken them for northern lights. You've got some terrific lighting like i do at sundown.  Beautiful weather like that is irresistible to me

:)

gogo

We had some sudden snowfall despite it being relatively mild. Walking the saint bernard through it felt like dragging a stone.
She loved it though. Made for snow and all.

1234.jpg

• Appreciation 1

Star clear and therefor ice cold nights. And: polar lights.

This is the advantage of living on a forest hill away from towns. No light polution as in towns. We were probably the most southern area in Germany with the luck to see the polar lights.

• Like! 1

Oh man, you got to see the northern lights? I've been looking outside for 2 days, didn't see any of them here. 
The moon looked spooky though, orange. 

• Like! 1
On 2/23/2023 at 5:28 PM, Sirius said:

We had some sudden snowfall despite it being relatively mild. Walking the saint bernard through it felt like dragging a stone.
She loved it though. Made for snow and all.

1234.jpg

You know.. its illegal here right... to use the word st bernard alluding to it being part of family and not showing him?

:lol:

gogo

We got minus 2 here in MTL, but coming in from some great 32 degree weather all week down south... ahhh, for summer hurry up

IMG_4318.jpg

Ye Ole Panama Canal!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

it is starting to cool down a bit here in South Africa, but it we will most probably get a few insane hot day again towards end of March.

We had a few days of rain, which we desperately need.

I have gotten pretty far with my garden... I did not do everything myself... that kind of physical labour would've killed me. got a landscape company to redo the garden with watering system in just two day. It was a lot of work, but it is really starting to look good a few weeks later.

will post pictures later.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

soooooo I promised photos of my Garden..., and here they finally are.

Before.

1779603945_gardenbefore.thumb.jpg.6ebe185148e62a9f942c357e9eab3728.jpg

some of the first plants that I got for the garden

1650192668_plantsforgarden.thumb.jpg.8c11e1eb1951c2e4ef521af7a38fe951.jpg

The day they started (our upstairs neighbour was kind enough to take and send us pictures.)

starting.thumb.jpg.9463d57bb337e66f8de4e94511f5b286.jpg

About halfway through the 2 days...

halfway.thumb.jpg.de1c3a7042f74ea977038493054ea474.jpg

At the End of the two days.

274406305_doneday.thumb.jpg.b820eb85fb09c026fcbe2f17555b251c.jpg

a few more views...

1545969702_doneday2.thumb.jpg.f697d351dee7cce3fc92b2dc43b8a6a1.jpg

1160448330_donedaytopview.thumb.jpg.633dc22f55dbcc4f1f3668b04a306bfe.jpg

1671022697_donedaytopview2.thumb.jpg.66dec8814b691b93513c0d69c3537330.jpg

11808033_donedaytopview3.thumb.jpg.4bcfe11ffd4303f5e46aaf0ab6def7f5.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAND this is a few weeks later... I have added after they finished some more plants again... and still need to plant the last few that I bought most recently.

1599409553_afterafewweeks.thumb.jpg.84d588e83f84cb8464c066254b40fd3a.jpg

I went with a lot of culinary herbs and vegetables.

I have: Italian parsley, French parsley, green basil, purple basil, green Thai basil, purple Thai basil, origanum, marjoram, rosemary, lemon thyme, creeper thyme, normal thyme, coriander, stevia, fennel, dill, chives, garlic chives, lemon grass, lemon verbena, rose geranium, citronella geranium, mint pelargonium, red bell pepper, green bell pepper (still looking for yellow bell pepper), aubergine, blueberry bushes, cape gooseberry bushes, granadilla plant, marigolds, jalapeno chili, cayenne chili, ghost chili, paprika, serano chili, Lime tree, Lemon tree, Naartjie tree, avocado tree, penny gum tree, bay leave tree, French Lavender, English Lavender, Margaret Robberts Lavender, violets, pansies, daisies... and then a few more flowers that I don't know the names of, but that will give colour and hopefully attract bees and some other coloured "grasses"

• zomgod! 1
1 hour ago, Delta! said:

soooooo I promised photos of my Garden..., and here they finally are.

Before.

1779603945_gardenbefore.thumb.jpg.6ebe185148e62a9f942c357e9eab3728.jpg

some of the first plants that I got for the garden

1650192668_plantsforgarden.thumb.jpg.8c11e1eb1951c2e4ef521af7a38fe951.jpg

The day they started (our upstairs neighbour was kind enough to take and send us pictures.)

starting.thumb.jpg.9463d57bb337e66f8de4e94511f5b286.jpg

About halfway through the 2 days...

halfway.thumb.jpg.de1c3a7042f74ea977038493054ea474.jpg

At the End of the two days.

274406305_doneday.thumb.jpg.b820eb85fb09c026fcbe2f17555b251c.jpg

a few more views...

1545969702_doneday2.thumb.jpg.f697d351dee7cce3fc92b2dc43b8a6a1.jpg

1160448330_donedaytopview.thumb.jpg.633dc22f55dbcc4f1f3668b04a306bfe.jpg

1671022697_donedaytopview2.thumb.jpg.66dec8814b691b93513c0d69c3537330.jpg

11808033_donedaytopview3.thumb.jpg.4bcfe11ffd4303f5e46aaf0ab6def7f5.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAND this is a few weeks later... I have added after they finished some more plants again... and still need to plant the last few that I bought most recently.

1599409553_afterafewweeks.thumb.jpg.84d588e83f84cb8464c066254b40fd3a.jpg

I went with a lot of culinary herbs and vegetables.

I have: Italian parsley, French parsley, green basil, purple basil, green Thai basil, purple Thai basil, origanum, marjoram, rosemary, lemon thyme, creeper thyme, normal thyme, coriander, stevia, fennel, dill, chives, garlic chives, lemon grass, lemon verbena, rose geranium, citronella geranium, mint pelargonium, red bell pepper, green bell pepper (still looking for yellow bell pepper), aubergine, blueberry bushes, cape gooseberry bushes, granadilla plant, marigolds, jalapeno chili, cayenne chili, ghost chili, paprika, serano chili, Lime tree, Lemon tree, Naartjie tree, avocado tree, penny gum tree, bay leave tree, French Lavender, English Lavender, Margaret Robberts Lavender, violets, pansies, daisies... and then a few more flowers that I don't know the names of, but that will give colour and hopefully attract bees and some other coloured "grasses"

Theuns, thats outstanding progress!! The grass reminds me of my parents' lawns, green, thick and inviting... perfect seating for tired barefeet :) You must have been surprised and delighted with how the design came out... a lot of the times garden work can go in strange directions, but your outcome is pleasing...and that garden of herb delights... have you already planned the desert to celebrate this vegetarian delight? And for cultivation season.. how many months will the garden provide for...does it ever snow?

:D

gogo

• Thanks! 1

Nice town-garden. Village gardens are more open so animals like lizards and hedgehogs can enter and leave. They also have a corner with nettles and other plants for maggots and butterflies.

For our weather:

A tornado stopped just 500 metres before my mom's former house where my brother is living now. The Biergarten where we meet in summer and the cayak and canoo rent for canoo trips on the Lahn are heavy damaged however. Video stops when the roof with the camera was blown across the river.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:43 AM, chattius said:

Yes

This is why we mount a crane with a platform on the bigger Unimog in autumn.  We chop all branches which are fragile and may fall at ice-rain or wet and heavy snow. 1200 metres to control on the road to our house. Not to mention that the above ground power-line follows the road. Heavy disadvantage on private owned road and powerline: you can't call town to control or repair it.

Luckily, since we look for possible dangerous trees at every walk with the dogs, it aren't much if done regulary.

Ice STorm!

Yesterdays strange ice world turned into a disastrous ice storm all across Montreal and Ontario.  We were lucky and had power during this whole time, but swathes of the land around us dont have power, even the half of the street below.  I'm unable to log into my work portal, and our wifi is still down.. and all day yesterday my mobile data from my phones and tablet were not working... i found myself fleeing to mcdonalds to use their wifi where i sent off messages go my family.  Heres some pix of the all the damage. We dont get earthquakes, tornatoes or hugricanes, but we get pretty bad ice storms every once in a decade: