Yep you got that right I am going to Australia next week as my visa has finally been approved and as an added bonus my wife is also coming because I submitted a letter for reconsideration. I know we have a couple of Aussies here so can you guys help me with the following:

1. I am going to experience my 1st winter so what kind of cloths should I bring?

2. What type of cloths are usually worn by students there?

3. How far is AICL from the Central Station?

Congratulations Jun!

You've worked so hard for this, and your dream is finally real. Hoping that Stubbie sees this thread. I'd stick to shorts and a t, with some jeans, sweaters and shirts for the cooler weather.

Unless you're going somewhere really far north, count on it being hot.

You planning on taking up surfing?

:P

gogo

Congratulations Jun!

You've worked so hard for this, and your dream is finally real. Hoping that Stubbie sees this thread. I'd stick to shorts and a t, with some jeans, sweaters and shirts for the cooler weather.

Unless you're going somewhere really far north, count on it being hot.

You planning on taking up surfing?

:D

gogo

never had any experience with surfing and with my 550/550 vision I don't think it's a good idea. I'd rather do mountain hiking. :P

G'day mate (get used to saying that Jun.....its almost mandatory to learn :)

1. At the moment in Sydney city its getting down to around 5°C at night and 18°C during the day.

Tracksuits are very common and depending on how much you feel the cold I would suggest some nice wolly jumpers.

If you are thinking of travelling out towards the mountains (about a hour or so drive from the city) then it gets down to -5°C at night and max about 10°C

We usually get August winds which can be quite strong so worth keeping in mind.

2. No idea on this as I'm way past being a student, but I would think that jeans and neat causal gear would be appropriate.

Formal dress is usually only for weddings and funerals in oz :D

3. From the map it looks like AICL is only about a 5 or 10 minute walk from Central Station.

Let me know if I can help more...........and welcome mate........to gods backyard :crazy:

stubbs

@ stubbie

Why is oz called gods backyard?

Is Snowy Mountain a nice place because my uncle might take me there this coming July 25th?

@ stubbie

Why is oz called gods backyard?

Is Snowy Mountain a nice place because my uncle might take me there this coming July 25th?

That's just my description because the weather here is beautiful most time of the year and I just think that if heaven had a backyard that Australia would be perfect. :(

The Snowy Mountains are about a 4 hour drive from Sydney and has the best snow skying in Australia this time of the year. :lol:

They have some excellent accommodation at Thredbo.

stubbs

Yep you got that right I am going to Australia next week as my visa has finally been approved and as an added bonus my wife is also coming because I submitted a letter for reconsideration. I know we have a couple of Aussies here so can you guys help me with the following:

1. I am going to experience my 1st winter so what kind of cloths should I bring?

2. What type of cloths are usually worn by students there?

3. How far is AICL from the Central Station?

Congratulations Jun, I am sure you will love it here.

1. Winter has been a bit chilly this year (counting the amount of times we have used the Heating on the Aircon) but you should be fine with a jumper and pea coat

2. Students who don't wear a uniform normally wear jeans, shorts (yes you can still get away with shorts during the day), tshirts and tops, casual shirts etc.

3. Around 10 minutes going by google.

:lol: Stubs, I am not too sure about the tracksuits being common though.

:whip: Stubs, I am not too sure about the tracksuits being common though.

Unfortunately Funky, they are very common out here in the (cough, splutter) western suburbs.

Though I must admit to slipping into a tight pair of jeans and a rather stylish top on the rare occasional outing to the Rooty Hill RSL :)

stubbs

guys how far are you from Nimbin Ave, Hoxton Park? Thats were I will be staying during my study.

Hummmm..........looks about a 45min drive to me :whip:

stubbs

guys how far are you from Nimbin Ave, Hoxton Park? Thats were I will be staying during my study.

Looking up where is, it says 46 mins but that doesn't allow for Sydney traffic, you are going to love the traffic Jun :) btw I am Eastern Suburbs

Looking up where is, it says 46 mins but that doesn't allow for Sydney traffic, you are going to love the traffic Jun :) btw I am Eastern Suburbs

What do you mean by Sydney traffic? I don't think it can compete with Manila traffic!! :)

Just arrived in Sydney about 3 hours ago and the 1st thing I did was volunteer to feed some Swiss and German delegates for the World Youth Day here. And boy is it cold brrrr!

Just arrived in Sydney about 3 hours ago and the 1st thing I did was volunteer to feed some Swiss and German delegates for the World Youth Day here.

A big welcome and goodness you haven't even settled in yet, that is good going.

And boy is it cold brrrr!

Well it is winter lol

Just arrived in Sydney about 3 hours ago and the 1st thing I did was volunteer to feed some Swiss and German delegates for the World Youth Day here. And boy is it cold brrrr!

Yeh.........I heard that some dude in a white robe is here and a whole lot of people have come to see him.

Some sort of rock star I guess. :)

Oh and.........Welcome to Australia cyclops! koalino.gif

stubbs

Some things I need to get used to here:

1. the cold weather

2. the right hand drive cars (it's giving me a headache watching how my uncle and cousins were driving earlier)

3. the english accent

G' day mates!!

• 4 months later...

Havn't been posting much because of school and work but I have some updates. Later this week I'll be lodging an application for a skilled migration visa as I have been assessed as a qualified chemist here. It's supposed to take 12-15 months to process but hopefully they finish it earlier. If I pass they will give me a PR (permanent residency) status. Also my schooling has been a breeze so far with 2 High Distinction (soon to be 3 or 4) and 1 Distinction grades. :)

Edited by cyclops

Congratulations Jun :) Glad to hear things are going well, I hope you secure your Visa.

You adjusted the to weather cars and accents yet?

:drinks:

~Tim

RTA told me that I must be here at least 6 months in order to apply for a learners licence so that will be in January. But I am already practicing the online drivers exam. I have adjusted to winter and spring already but they are telling me that summer is going to be another thing. I can just imagine it because 37 C is already quite hot and they said temperature in the 40s is quite common in summer. I can understand Aussie English much much better compared to last July but I still hate phone conversations. I still don't have the Aussie accent but I do know that car is pronounced as "cah" and no uses a long "o". :P People are telling me that my accent is still very much American English.

• 8 months later...

Whoa I can't believe it's been 8 months since I last wrote on my thread. Anyway I celebrated my 1st year here in Australia last July 16th. There are good and bad updates. I will start with the good ones.

1.) I finished my Diploma in Management :smart: and I took a total of 14 subjects during the previous school year and managed to get either D (Distinction) or HD (High Distinction) in 13 of them. My lowest grade was in Accounting but ironically I would be taking up Diploma in Accounting this coming school year. What is life without challenges!! :)

2.) Despite having worked for a total of only 60 days I was able to earn more than what I earned full time in the Philippines. Such is the value of the Australian dollar. (aussie aussie oink oink oink) :P It would have been a lot better had I been able to work a lot more but beggars can't be choosers.

3.) My wife managed to get a full time job. Yes she earned much more than me in case you people ask. :blush:

4.) I am getting better in understanding Australian English. But speaking Australian accent would take a bit more time.

5.) I changed my resume into an Australian format. It is a bit different from my previous one. No pictures and no personal infos because of the Privacy Act etc etc etc. Also some spelling changes. The most famous of which is using "s" instead of "z". British/Australian english versus American english

6.) I was able to send 2 BIG boxes of goodies to my relatives in the Philippines. A lot of Doritos, Arnott's, Uncle Toby's, Moconna coffee and chocolates but no Vegemite mate!! I'm sure the Aussies would know what vegemite is. I just can't get my tongue to like it. :gun2: Check it in the internet if you don't.

Now for the not so good part.

It is actually centered on only one thing. It is finding our own place to rent. There has been a couple of near misses in finding one but somehow at the last minute something unexpected happens and poof it's gone. As I have mentioned before I am living in one of my relatives' house here. Generally they are accommodating but the only problem is me and my wife are "expected" to do the household chores. It is not actually too much but lately it has been getting over the top. During weekends we can't hardly rest because as soon as a task is done a new one would be given. I can just wish we can find one nearer to the city and soon. I need to travel 2 hours one way to get to work.

Edited by cyclops
Whoa I can't believe it's been 8 months since I last wrote on my thread. Anyway I celebrated my 1st year here in Australia last July 16th. There are good and bad updates. I will start with the good ones.

1.) I finished my Diploma in Management :smart: and I took a total of 14 subjects during the previous school year and managed to get either D (Distinction) or HD (High Distinction) in 13 of them. My lowest grade was in Accounting but ironically I would be taking up Diploma in Accounting this coming school year. What is life without challenges!! :whistle:

2.) Despite having worked for a total of only 60 days I was able to earn more than what I earned full time in the Philippines. Such is the value of the Australian dollar. (aussie aussie oink oink oink) :thumbsup: It would have been a lot better had I been able to work a lot more but beggars can't be choosers.

3.) My wife managed to get a full time job. Yes she earned much more than me in case you people ask. :blush:

4.) I am getting better in understanding Australian English. But speaking Australian accent would take a bit more time.

5.) I changed my resume into an Australian format. It is a bit different from my previous one. No pictures and no personal infos because of the Privacy Act etc etc etc. Also some spelling changes. The most famous of which is using "s" instead of "z". British/Australian english versus American english

6.) I was able to send 2 BIG boxes of goodies to my relatives in the Philippines. A lot of Doritos, Arnott's, Uncle Toby's, Moconna coffee and chocolates but no Vegemite mate!! I'm sure the Aussies would know what vegemite is. I just can't get my tongue to like it. :gun2: Check it in the internet if you don't.

Now for the not so good part.

It is actually centered on only one thing. It is finding our own place to rent. There has been a couple of near misses in finding one but somehow at the last minute something unexpected happens and poof it's gone. As I have mentioned before I am living in one of my relatives' house here. Generally they are accommodating but the only problem is me and my wife are "expected" to do the household chores. It is not actually too much but lately it has been getting over the top. During weekends we can't hardly rest because as soon as a task is done a new one would be given. I can just wish we can find one nearer to the city and soon. I need to travel 2 hours one way to get to work.

So glad to hear that you are doing extremely well in our beautiful country and especially big congrats on those marks in your course and good luck for the next course I am sure you will breeze thru it, you have determination.

Renting is a huge problem at the moment but good for us landlords as we get full occupancy at great rental rates. Keep in there Jun I am sure you will find suitable accomodation, it will be good for you and your wife to have your own space anyway let alone doing others chores..

good luck

Zoe

So glad to hear that you are doing extremely well in our beautiful country and especially big congrats on those marks in your course and good luck for the next course I am sure you will breeze thru it, you have determination.

Renting is a huge problem at the moment but good for us landlords as we get full occupancy at great rental rates. Keep in there Jun I am sure you will find suitable accomodation, it will be good for you and your wife to have your own space anyway let alone doing others chores..

good luck

Zoe

good for you zoe!! btw were do you live here in Australia?

Edited by cyclops