WEEEE! New computer! Finally!

tomi

Ok, maybe I shouldn't make this thread yet, but I just can't wait. I have the parameters of my new computer. Soon (this weekend) my dad will call his friend, and he'll get the parts as quick as possible. Or well. I hope so...

So here are the parameters. (The price I'll write in the current Hungarian Forint/ Dollar which is very nice now. usually 200Ft=1dollar Now 140 only)

MONITOR: Asus Cristal Brighted 19cm

MOTHERBOARD?: Asus s775 Maximus Extreme

PROCESSOR: INTEL S775 CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.00GH BOX? 64Bit

RAM: DDR2 1066MHz 1024 MB KINGMAX

2x20

VIDEO CARD: XFX PCI GTX260 640M 896MB DDR3 XXX EDITION

WINCHESTER: SAMSUNG 400GB SATA2

HOUSE:

POWER SUPPLY:

60-85

SUM:

1375 Dollar

And this price is without value added tax (VAT) (I guess that's the word im looking for.)

[btw sorry for the wrong words.]

So when I get it, I'll start playing Requiem immediately. And when Sacred 2 comes out, I'll be ready. ;)

Edit: And I'm happy as a banana! :unsure:

banana1655.gif

Edited by tomi

Tomi, I'm so happy for you man!

;)

Can hardly wait to hook up in Requiem, and... now you've got your comp for Sacred !

Great parents you have, but you're worth it.

lol, NOW will start your summer!

:unsure:

gogo

p.s. and 64 bit too... lol, you, me and Schot can share hints for running these machines. Also, I'm not sure I understood how much Ram you're putting in..is it 2 gig?

Thaaaaank yoooouuu! hehe :unsure:

Yup...forgot to write hehe, 2Gb

I hope it'll be ok for a few years. But in these times. Every week you can buy an even better cpu.

Edit: Ohh What The?! It send my post 2x lol

Edited by tomi

Dude, do you plan on some serious OC'ing with that motherboard or what? Where's the CPU cooler? :drool:

And such an expensive graphics card! Wow... You are spending a lot of money on that system of yours...

About 3-400 more than I would, I would've ordered a cheaper mobo and an ATi 4850/4870 :heat:

Edited by Timotheus

Hehe well...what's OC'ing? ;)

Um I'm not sure...not im the one who did choose the parts. But...the cpu cooler isn't in the cpu house? 'cos I haven't write up any cpu coolers.

Oh well daddy wanted to spend less money on it, but I said I want a cpu for games. So this is good for games. An upper-middle price.

Buuut I have a very very big problem right now. If my cpu's parts will be done in Thursday, maybe that day we bring it home, but.

If I have the parts who will but the in one piece? lol I can't put them together. And I can't get Vista (for no money :heat: I should get it)

The one who could do this is going on holiday since Sunday. :drool:

:cries:

OC'ing is overclocking, the only reason you would want to get the Maximus Extreme.

A 300 dollar motherboard but no overclocking is, well, insane. There are 100 dollar boards out there that will suit your needs perfectly.

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L

MSI P35 Neo-F

some examples :heat:

The cooler: there's a boxed cooler with the 8400, don't worry. But boxed coolers aren't good when you overclock your cpu, that's why I asked. :drool:

wow you are really pro at this lol :)

Ok well I don't think I'd ever use overclocking, but...they said that will be ok for me...

I've found only the MSI P35 Neo-F on the list. I have a long list. What's there I can only buy :) (only Asus, MSI, and Asrock boards I can buy)

But the 300 dollar one can do things better? So better if I buy that even if I don't use overclocking?

And as far as I know the video card must be good with the motherboard. So maybe I have to change vid card too?

Ahhh diiiiifiiicult!

Well, it will function OK, but so will the Neo-F.

But you'd need to think about what money you want to spend! Do you really want to spend 200 dollars for functionality you will not use?

And the video card: it doesn't matter with choice of motherboard or anything, but price/performance wise the 4870 from ati is better than the 280.

From what I can see, you've picked the top model. Fine if you have the money to spend, but remember that new cards come out every 6 months, so a 400 dollar card will lose value quick, and will get passed in performance quite easily. So again, is it worth the money to you?

Edited by Timotheus

Um well. I know that after I bought out it from the shops it's price is half or less. But...that 200 dollar is only for the overclocking function?

About the money. I think I have the money. I just want as good as possible computer of that money.

Actually I want the best computer for games by that money. I trust you and trust in what you say, but I also trust the one who said these parameters. I dont know what should I do. :)

Tomi, it will work like a charm. It will perform perfect, don't worry about that. Performance-wise, there's nothing wrong with the parts you have been recommended by the guy. But if I had to choose myself, I would've picked cheaper parts, since you will not be using everything you'll be paying for. :)

There are differences between gamers, and pc freaks, and it can be easy to forget about those differences.

Edited by Timotheus

:)

And if I want to use overclocking. How and when do ppl use it? Do you think I could use it?

And if I use you said ill need an other cooler too right?

Overclocking means you let your CPU run faster (in your case with the e8400: 4ghz instead of the stock 3ghz for example).

You can do it, but I will not recommend it, just because you've never tried it yet. It can damage your system when you don't do it properly, so I think you'd be better of not doing any OC'ing, or reading guides very carefully and be very careful when OC'ing. And yes, you need a new CPU cooler.

OC guide for beginners

HOW-TO OC

After reading it I think I wouldn't need the overclocking. I have no reason to use it I think. Dangerous, 'cos everything that can be ruined, I'll ruin. I'd be useless.

But. We were talking about 2 types of boards. The first was the 300dollar-overclocking. The other is 100 dollar no overclocking.

Now, that 200 dollar is all in overclocking? Is there any difference in their efficiency? Maybe the cheaper is slower? or anything?

Well, Tomi, I don't expect we will hear much from you for the next few days, with all the excitement of getting the new set-up into order and personalising it

Take Timo's advice and forget about OC'ing for now. No point with what you are getting.

Don't get so excited that you neglect Picur! Wish I had someone to replace my old banger, mumble, mumble, lucky little mumble mumble.

Wheeeee for Tomi! Waoooow! :):)

hehe thanks for advice!

No way I would neglect my little puppy. He's the first. :) Today I've went to him every 10 min. He has his first leash but he hates it soooo much! hehe but this is offtopic.

:)

About OC I don't need it at all, but I'd like the best efficiency.

OK there's no difference in functioning between the two bords. Yes, the 200 dollars are for overcloking and overclocking options. Check below.

The Maximus Extreme is an OC-friendly motherboard. Meaning extensive warranty, and tested at high speeds. Perfect for overclocking with

Watercooling2.jpg

watercooling,

1.jpg

DICE (dry ice, LN2)

or other extreme types of overclocking.

The Neo-F is a general quality motherboard. It has normal warranty, tested at normal speeds and capable of (some) normal OC'ing.

I'd recommend the Neo-F. As for the video card, check this.

Uhh well throwing away 200 dollars would be silly thing to do. Although I'm just so very afraid of buying a less efficiency one.

regarding the vid card. I found that the GTX260 is 385 dollar. But what are they talking abut in that forum(?).

Sapphire PCIe HD4870? thats the only one I can find on my list and looks like the one in the forum. Is it that?

If it is it costs 321 Dollars. Less memory.

And what's the bad in my vid card? I didn't get that.

Ah OK, I didn't know the prices dropped. Nevermind then! :)

The thing is, the 260GTX used to be more expensive than the 4870, with little more performance. Again, a cost/performance problem.

But for 385 vs 321... That's not a really big difference, and you will have a fast card with the one you selected.

But please, what do you mean with efficient? Raw power? Your CPU will run at 3ghz with both, both will make your 280GTX run as fast as it should, etc. Performance wise, there will be no difference between the boards with your setup and no overclocking.

But when you mean energy-efficiency, I'm not sure. But you won't save much power costs with that monster (280gtx) in your pc, so I doubt you're using that as a factor in your choice of components. What power supply will you be using?

Edited by Timotheus

Ohh nono! I was looking for the performance word as you said. Not efficient but performance. Sorry my online dictionary is a bit...bad.

I meant under performance that...how good they are. Like which one works better? (board)

What power supply will you be using?

An other hard question for me. What do you mean? Like this guy?

Chieftec%20450W.jpg

Ohh well haven't choose it. I have 60-85 dollars for it. I'll buy what they recommend.

Edited by tomi

DON'T. Really, with expensive gear like that, don't just buy what they recommend.

Good brands:

A.C. Ryan Aerocool Antec Aopen Asus Be Quiet Chieftec Coolermaster Corsair CWT Enermax Enhance Enlight Fortron FSP-Group Hiper Huntkey Levicom Nexus OCZ Procase Revoltec Seasonic Sharkoon Silentmaxx SilenX Silverstone Superflower Tagan Thermaltake Topower Q-technology Yesico Zalman

Bad brands:

Apevia Q-tec (NOT Q-Technology!) Sweex Trust

Any other brand: as long as it's above 60 dollars, it should be OK. Cheaper means inferior in this case.

For a single GeForce GTX 260 GPU NVIDIA recommends a 500W unit with 36A on the 12V rail.

Do not get a PSU under those 36A on the 12V rails. That's the final tip I have for you. Amps are waaay more important than Watts, although you should have a reasonable amount of Watts for your pc to keep functioning under load. With the requirements of the GTX 260, let's just put it this way: If you are forced to make a choice between a 450W 36A or a 600W 20A, go for the 450W.

Edited by Timotheus

Okey thanks for all the help.

I'll think about what you said, and decide that way. Hopefully I'll choose the possible best way. Although if I go to a shop, I don't think I can tell that like "I want that one which has more amp. and the less watt. It's just complicated for me.

Though we already send the list what we want but maybe an edit is possible later. Dad just cant wait hehe.

Thanks again for all you helped in. Only now I know how good you are at these. :)

big :P

No problem tomi. And you can always take the list as comparison for the power supply they recommend.

But the amperage HAS TO BE 36.

DSCN0494.jpg

On the pic you see my old PSU (which I will be using again when I return from vacation, will be reinstalling etc).

The sticker on the PSU is the most important. You can see all the values there.

It may also look like this:

sticker.jpg

To find the total amperages of the 12v, use the sum of all positive 12v lines, as long as there are no restrictions that apply.

On my PSU, that's 16+16=32A. It wouldn't be enough, and the Watt's are low too (300).

On the OCZ GameXStream 700Watt, that looks like 16+16+16+16=74. BUT! The last PSU has a note on it: maximum combined current for the 12v outputs shall be 50A. So the 12v lines cannot carry a total current larger than 50A, even though they theoretically add up to 70A. Still, it would be enough, since 50>36 and 700Watt definitly would be enough to run the GTX260.

Hmm now you confused me. :P

You say that with 36A I'd need like 400Watt?

And that I should have a 50A and 700watt? with the 260 GTX vid card right?

No.

The GTX260 requires a PSU of 36A on the 12v lines to power the entire system. Nvidia also says you need 500 Watt, but that is for the most extensive systems (heavy overclocks, a lot of harddisks, lights and stuff).

Your system will run on a 450Watt with 36A on the 12v lines without problems, but a little headroom is always nice (when you might want to upgrade in the future).

You know, it may even run on a 400W with 36A on the 12v lines, but that's going a bit too far off the 500 recommended.

Bottom line:

Choose a 450-500Watt power supply with 36A on the 12v lines, preferably one of the brands I gave you on the list.