WEEEE! New computer! Finally!

tomi

:P Ok so let's see what we did 'till now.

Monitor: stays the same.

MOTHERBOARD?: Asus s775 Maximus Extreme or the MSI P35 Neo-F.

PROCESSOR: INTEL S775 CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.00GH BOX? 64Bit

RAM: DDR2 1066MHz 1024 MB KINGMAX 4GB ram. Ohh and I wanted to ask something regarding ram. If I buy 2GB ram now, and want to upgrade later, I have to buy a really new or I can add +2 more. So I have to buy 1 new thing that has 4 GB ram or I can add more to it while still have the older 2GB?

VIDEO CARD: XFX PCI GTX260 640M 896MB DDR3 XXX EDITION or.... HD 4870. Now I've read the article, blog, forum or what you've send.

They said that HD 4870 is really better, but don't I need that 1GB vid memory? And if I'd choose HD 4870, it is cheaper, but. Isn't there a vid card that is about as expensive as the GTX 260 but better than the HD 4870? like a newer version of HD 4870.

So it would cost the same as GTX260, but would be better than HD 4870. A bit expensive but good. :)

WINCHESTER: SAMSUNG 400GB SATA2 stays

HOUSE doesnt matter

POWER SUPPLY: Er...a 450-500W, 36A, 12v lines one :D

Tell me if I forgot to edit something. :D

Aargh I just found something! Get the MSI one, tomi, really!

Noooo not DDR3! The Asus Maximus Extreme uses only DDR3 memory slots. DDR3 is really expensive memory. DDR2 is a lot cheaper, and DDR3 will not give you more performance unless you start overclocking.

The MSI Neo-F I mentioned, has 4 dimm slots, so you can put in 2x 1gb now, and 2x 1gb later! :PJust make sure you pick 800MHz memory, since it will not eat the 1066MHz type you selected! (Sometimes 800MHz is also mentioned as PC6400)

002120.jpg

(They're the orange and green slots.)

As for the graphics card. Tomi, memory on graphics cards isn't important, it's the chip inside it. Both the 4870 and GTX 260 are two top of the line products and the latest cards from Ati and Nvidia, respectively. There's not a lot of difference between the two. If you want max performance, pic the GTX 260. :)

Edited by Timotheus

A DDR3 ONLY mainboard?! :D

Oh I completely agree with Timo. You really don't want to be stuck with a mainboard that forces you to spend a lot of money on DDR3 memory. DDR2 is still exceptionally efficient but more important is that it is super cheap to buy these days.

Interesting that you suggest MSI Timo. I recently bought and installed my new MSI P35 Platinum Combo. Which just so happens to allow both DDR2 or DDR3. So for now I am using 4GB of DDR2 memory, Kingston. In the future when DDR3 has become less expensive I will change to DDR3 on the same mainboard.

I got the same CPU as you Tomi and it's sooo perfect. The Intel E8400. As for the video card I decided on the ATI 4850. It's a totally awesome card that runs games perfectly. in Requiem I have all settings at max and still the game runs fast. I tested my system with the game Crysis which is a very demanding game. I was able to play at aaaalmost highest settings which is good enough for me. Everything was on highest setting except for resolution which was at 1280x1024. If I tried 1600x1200 then I would have a small bit of lag. So the ATI 4850 is perfect and when the time comes that I feel I need to upgrade I will just buy a second 4850 which will be lower in price. :)

As for OCing(over clocking) it isn't something you really need to do with a new computer. For myself I would overclock my computer only when needed. For example you have had your computer for about a year and the new games coming out make your computer run a bit slow. Overclocking can help you to speed up your computer when new games are giving you graphics lag. So learn about it now so that when the time comes that you feel you need to do it you will be well educated. The thing is... Many mainboard manufacturers build mainboards with the knowledge that some users will want to overclock. In fact mine came with software and hardware specifically for overclocking.

Oh and I already overclocked my ATI 4850, lol. I just had to try it out... :P

MSI P35 Platinum Combo

003875.jpg

OK guys. I thought I was confused yday. NOW I'm confused.

If you can tell in 100% that the Neo-F mainboard has no less performance I'll buy it, 'cos I dont think Id ever OC.

If you want max performance, pic the GTX 260.

So you say GTX 260 works better? I mean better performance? 'cos then ill buy GTX 260.

RAM I still dont understand. I buy now 2GB later +2GB can be added? Or have to buy a new 4GB?

If I don't buy an OC-ing motherboard, I still can keep the GTX 260 vid card and other things.

Will they work correctly with the NEO-F motherboard?

Neo-F will not perform worse. (But if you can buy the P35 Platinum Schot bought, I´d chose that one. It´s newer and has better support for new equipment.)

Yes, the GTX260 has the max performance of the two (gtx260 and 4870).

Yes, you can buy 2gb now and add 2gb later.

Yes, they will work correctly probably. They SHOULD anyway.

Sorry I got back to you this late :)

Edited by Timotheus

Ahh no worries! Enjoy your holiday. :)

We've choose with Schot!

The P45 Platinum. :)

The HD 4870, later I'll buy one more of it.

Processor still the same.

2x2GB kingston RAM

and power supply. Well thinking in th future: 600-700w 36A 12v lines

tomi,

When you finally get all your bits and pieces and get it all put together, would you mind posting exactly what parts (make/model) you ended up with and importantly what it all performs like?

I want to have a quiet pc but I want it to be able to run games like Crysis and Sacred 2 with all the bells and whistles and no choppy frame rates.

I am at the stage when I am going to be spending a couple of thou just on a new box and I am so confused atm what to get. I am going to build it myself as well.

My main sticking point is whether to go nVidea or ATI. Every site I go to has different opinions. :(

I expect to spend a quarter to a third of the total outlay just on the video card.

But I also don't know much about motherboards and what would be a good one, though it has been very helpful reading this thread (I now know........dont get stuck with DDR3 only ;).

While I'm no dunce with computers (I built my last one) I am confused about parts being compatible and such. :)

Feedback from someone such as yourself who has just built a good gaming pc will be much appreciated. :bow:

stubbs

Edited by stubbie

Ohh sure, no worries. :bow: I'd give a noise anyway. ;)

But about the prices and the final parts, I'd say to wait 'till I have them. Okey? :(

Ohh and Timo and Schot choose it. They helped sooo many. Big thanks to them. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Got it, works. :viking:

Tomi's happy. With his new desk and pc. (just need some better connection but that wil be done too soon)

*happy dance*

Some pictures. Though some of them are foggy. I hate making pictures...and boooring lol ("this one is bad lets make a new one. Damn! foggy again)

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Edited by tomi

Very, very nice pictures Tomi. You lucked out, and have something that goes well with your desk setup. I'm happy that you have your comp, you're excited and happy, it shows, and am looking forward to hooking up with you online.

Congratz!

:viking:

gogo

I think your monitor is too big , you'll have to send it to me :)

LOLOLOL :)

Nice setup. looks like you're ready for some heavy gaming

Ohh yes!

am looking forward to hooking up with you online.

Ohh yeah, me too! And thank you!

Hmm, I just got a new Display Adapter. Is that important enough to post about in here since it looks like my plans for a new computer have been deep sixed by ... other plans.