Farmer Schot's Guide to Growing Lvl 20 Sets

Where is the boar mini boss, can't say I've ever encountered it before.

Take another peak at the video. He places a marker on the map in almost the exact spot that the boar is... :pirate:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem to be that effective on the xbox version...

As level 37, ~30% survival bonus, 10 hard points in ep (13 total) and ~30% MF.

Did 4 runs (8 bosses killed) and got only 2 set pieces and no uniques.

It seems that set pieces generally are rarer on the console version, though I might be awfully wrong.

Would be a shame if that is the case loslulvig. For my own experience I didn't really put any focus into MF on my chars. What I did instead was to ensure that I could kill mini bosses quickly. As in my video I one hit killed the White Griffon for example. It's always been my belief since S1 that there is an unwritten rule for drops. The faster you can kill the better the drops. A second champion or mini boss kill vs. a 2 minute kill will result in very different drops. So if your MF is good then you might consider uping your damage.

Another thing about farming bosses for sets to consider is that campaign bosses tend to drop sets much less than mini bosses. I'm guessing you are aware of the difference but for the sake of others reading this I'll link to the Bosses page on SacredWiki.

Out of curiousity what was the general level of the bosses you were fighting and about how long to kill them?

Out of curiousity what was the general level of the bosses you were fighting and about how long to kill them?

griffin: level 4, one shotted with AF on all occasions except an experiment to see if the loot was better when two shotting.

boar: level 17, 2-3 shotted.

Killed griffin & boar two more times each, got one set piece, no uniques. (same bosses as I killed before)

Also: The quest for those two mini-bosses weren't there in free play mode...

Ah, well I can tell you this much. The Boss needs to be at least level 15 for it to drop sets. As for uniques I've not ever found that mini bosses drop them.

No quests for the mini bosses you say? Are you playing console?

Ah, well I can tell you this much. The Boss needs to be at least level 15 for it to drop sets. As for uniques I've not ever found that mini bosses drop them.

Yes, playing the xbox version. After more boss killing mayhem it seems like the drop chance for me is 1/4... Also I'm pretty sure that the griffin have droped sets for me, despite being level 4 (though it might be an error in the overview that it's listed as level 4).

Will do more testing on griffin

EDIT: Just got a level 20 set item from the griffin, It's still showing up as level 4 though. For a comparison it's listed as having ~1600hp. How much hp does "your griffins" have?

Edited by losludvig

Nice stuff Schot,

took my Pony (level 57) for a trip to Bronze and activate the portal and Mono. One-hitting Griffin. :D Might have been two on the boar... not realy sure.

Set farming works like a charm.

Only thingy I know about Silver level caps is that Orcs cap at level 57.... I spend so much time there... then at level 57 I always notice a decrease in XP... It usually takes me the rest of the level to figure that orcs capped again :D Happens to me every time! lol

Greetz

Found something interesting. I was using my level 43 hunter dryad on ps3. Seems like I couldnt get anything when I was using my bow, so I switched to boneslicer. Now I get one almost every time.

Yes, playing the xbox version. After more boss killing mayhem it seems like the drop chance for me is 1/4... Also I'm pretty sure that the griffin have droped sets for me, despite being level 4 (though it might be an error in the overview that it's listed as level 4).

EDIT: Just got a level 20 set item from the griffin, It's still showing up as level 4 though. For a comparison it's listed as having ~1600hp. How much hp does "your griffins" have?

Whoops! I take that back, haha. It's been so long since I've played, (cries), that I totally forgot that the video I made myself does in fact include a level 4 Griffon, lol. My bad... I guess that's part of what made this technique so useful. I'm not sure what to say on the matter of some players having success and others not so much. The only difference I can see here between my success and some of your less successful attempts is that my HE was much higher in level. It's possible that the SB that my near level 60-ish HE had is what is making the difference. SB is said to have an effect on drops by a Dev, though it is not listed in game.

That said, SB is likely being used in the same way as it was in Sacred Underworld. As part of the unlisted MF equation that determines drop quality:

Unique = BoniCreature/Boss + SB%/2 + Root(MagicFind*100)

So if your SB is below 70% then it might be a good idea to try and raise it before trying this trick. :P

Okay, now the real question is howd you get a set drop from a level 4 griffon. Seemed like it was a level 20, piece too. Well anyway if this is the same as underworld with drops, can I just run around killing champ mobs like I did on my DE trapper :)? Ofcoarse I had 99% survival bonus I would get sets all the time.

For the Xbox360, I think it's higher than 1/4. I've only got '1' Drop out of a possible 12... :)

Any way to increase the chance of a drop?

EDIT: My Griffin has 1650hp. It's now 2 out of 18...

Edited by Scout
For the Xbox360, I think it's higher than 1/4. I've only got '1' Drop out of a possible 12... :)

Any way to increase the chance of a drop?

EDIT: My Griffin has 1650hp. It's now 2 out of 18...

should probably just try the boar or if your high enough to kill a level 35 fast the harpy queen.

Edited by tehguy

I've been trying to find some set items, but cannot get any on my hands.

What is the best method to get them?

I have a survival bonus of 52.5% by the way if that's important (is it?)

Edited by Kingy

When I start off new toons, I always farm Gryphon or Boss asap. Boar is awesome, because you don't have to have a Monolith to get to it...and you can save your one choice of Monolith for the Gryphon which is pretty far from a Portal.

They have incredible drop rates, and with some work, you can get yourself outfitted quickly.

Good luck

:)

gogo

When I start off new toons, I always farm Gryphon or Boss asap. Boar is awesome, because you don't have to have a Monolith to get to it...and you can save your one choice of Monolith for the Gryphon which is pretty far from a Portal.

They have incredible drop rates, and with some work, you can get yourself outfitted quickly.

Good luck

:)

gogo

Where exactly is the best place to farm them though?

Which kind of bosses, and do bosses come back to life after you kill them?

Im still level 35 and am not very far in the shadow campaign, just about to go assault a orc camp or something :)