Twin Boneslicer

People still consider that Sword/Hafted skills while Dual Wielding are not worth the skill slot. Here are some arguments in favor of Dual Wielding weapons that can really make use of both skills. You can just skip to the end of the post to see my point :)

twin_boneslicer.jpg

How does a Boneslicer compare to other weapons?

Technically, other weapons can usually be slightly better, damage and socket-wise. The illusionary drawback of a Boneslicer is its low item level. You can find and use weapons of much higher level early on. With my level 75 seraphim, I received level 78 Boneslicers, while I can already use weapons with level 95.

Here is an example, the popular Officer's saber along with the Boneslicer:

officers_saber95.png

boneslicer78_single.png

The Officer's Saber seems to outdamage and outsocket the Boneslicer. This is not entirely correct. Sure, you can socket +all skills amulets in Officers (+4-5 each at these character levels) to equal the Boneslicer's skill bonus. That leaves you with just one slot for other bonuses. Not that impressive, especially since Boneslicer has built-in modifiable bonuses that increase without the need to socket any skill bonuses.

Here is how the bonus looks like with two Boneslicers equipped (+18 offensive skills):

boneslicer78_dual.png

That's level 86 Sword Weapons, with just one hard point. 17.6% chance to disregard armor, 35.2% chance to halve regeneration time (they seem to stack with diminishing returns), +18 to Tactics Lore and Dual Wield. None too shabby :) This allows the use of significantly higher Combat Arts and Buffs.

The point

In practice, two Boneslicers are hardly inferior to other weapons. Even unsocketed, the above Boneslicer slot does more damage than my current main weapon slot (which is more than enough already). Maybe it's not the "best" option available, but it's definitely cooler than a lot of them.

A build can be made around Boneslicers, with even higher potential. The Undead Legion Quest can be completed in 25-60 minutes, providing a steady supply of Boneslicers. Other weapons need to be found, which doesn't always happen when you need it.

This is why Sword Weapons is not a waste when used with Dual Wield. Other weapons with modifiable bonuses can be just as nice. Decent bonuses for not too high investment, this does open a lot of possibilities :)

Plus, many weapons with unlockable bonuses look much cooler than the usual power-gaming ones. I'm sick of seeing sabers :lmao: I hope I can find two Quetzal's First Strike, but what are the odds?

I agree with antitrust, but... by level 78, I can easily shop some + 6 all skills rings and amulets...2 of those in the gold sockets would give me +12 all skills, and with 2 sabers this is + 24 all skills, leaving the third gold socket and the elemental modifier socket free.

Still, to get 2 boneslicers is easier than 2 Officers Sabers, since the slicers are quest drop.

Edited by Dobri
by level 78, I can easily shop some + 6 all skills rings and amulets...2 of those in the gold sockets would give me +12 all skills, and with 2 sabers this is + 24 all skills, leaving the third gold socket and the elemental modifier socket free.

The point is that even with a setup like this, you don't realy gain a lot compared to the Boneslicers :)

At those levels +all skills are starting to offer rather small bonuses. I can definitely survive without them, few things can actually hurt me :) At this point I focus mostly on offense.

Another thing is that Boneslicers provide a decent weapon choice to people that didn't take Bargaining. People can invest in Sword Weapons instead of Bargaining, and still be able to fully use some of the nastiest swords in the game :)

• Like! 1

I totally agree that the boneslicers are one of the best swords for people without bargaining, and are one of the best examples why people would want to invest in a weapon lore along with the dual wield.

I just think that officer's saver allows for more flexibility and different weapon setup :) you can add all skills, death blow, and various other modifiers.

It's a matter of perspective. In my opinion, they don't. Dual officer's sabers have 6 gold and 2 elemental modifier sockets - it's just way too much and allow for a lot of different modification of the weapons.

Others may feel otherwise. I just like being flexible to compensate for the various situations :(

Edited by Dobri

The writeup is fantastic. And what I'm getting out of this is that these weapons are always available. This is an important part of builds. Yes, we can all wish for fantastic items to drop...but as the levels slowly roll by, and we don't have them... Something like Boneslicer becomes more and more tempting.

The run is always there, it's just a matter of getting through the quest quickly. Anyone remember that treacherous quest from Sacred for the Prototypes? This reminds me of that quest. Prototypes were one of the best items for a duel wielder, and very importantly...their availability was a part of their strength.

I enjoyed your article, Trust, the comparative analysis was great.

I do agree that officer's offer more flexiblity...but you still have to get two. Boneslicers's are there to get all the time, any time

...this makes them very compelling.

:(

gogo

6 gold sockets can be a double edged knife :cow_white:

It's much easier to modify Boneslicers since you don't lose valuable socketables, while I never felt like resocketing Officer's sabers after socketing my best jewelry in them.

So 2 boneslicers (4 sockets) beats 2 Officer's Sabres (8 sockets)?

They don't really beat them, they just don't lose either. Same goes for other weapons that require weapon lores.

Here are some decent weapons of the same level range as the above Boneslicers, so we can compare more of them.

Without unlockable bonuses:

excalibran85.pngblade_of_mutiny90.png

And some that benefit benefit from Sword Weapons (screenshots with skill level 75):

ice_flash87.pngromuils_tears86.png

quetzals85.png

Of course the Ice Flash, quetzal's and Excalibran are ridiculously hard to find :)

• 4 weeks later...

Off Topic : ^^ lol I have at closed.net Ice and Excalibran

The dilemma in my DW builds is that I can use Toughness,Combat Discipline or Spell Resistance

instead of Hafted/Sword Skill.

And if I use them, (and maybe you have answer to that) should I put in there hard points?

Because, if I should then I do prefer on stay without the skill.

Seems to me that lots of uniques do not have sword/hafted modifiers, so they are best for DW. However, as you have shown, there are a few that do...

Dual Wield Swords of the Blood Dryads + Inquisitor with Purifying Chastisement... = incredible damage

Edited by Suppressor
  • 1 year later...

I only have 96 hours in the game (CNA, I work alot) Sacred is way more impressive than WoW.

Welcome to the forum emy1!

heh, I like what you said about this being better than Wow^^ Is it the builds? Have a look at this topic here if you want to post:

Would Sacred 3 be an awesome Mmorpg? No cuz it would have to be "dumbed down" for the masses

:)

gogo