The attack bug pointed out by cthulhu

Dobri

Part of his post on the SIF:

User Interface/Controls

- Holding down left mouse button seems to cause the character to resort to using a CTRL+Click style attack instead of the default attack that tracks its target. As a result, the character will start attacking nothing if its target moves out of where the mouse button was being held.

I would have to say that it's entirely true. I'm having constant problems with this. I'm one of the people who keeps the left mouse button pressed down 90% of the time when I play close combat or ranged. The Inquisitor almost died on 4 occasions (and one day it will be one close shave too many), I even had problems with the BFG yesterday, because she was sitting pretty doing nothing while the mobs were coming and hacking at her. Before the 2.40 patch, holding down the left mouse button was the easiest way for any close combat char to move, target and attack quickly. Now this proves to be a problem.

I tried to change targets with click and hold. My inquisitor made 2-3 half swings (none of which did damage, it was really funny, still he got like 6-7 hits in the process) and then started hacking at the mob I pointed. Afterwards, there we no problems with the target change with the LMB pressed down, but as soon as I did something (like letting go of the LMB, hitting Q to get the items, or something else), the game stopped considering the LMB pressed (although it still was) and my Inquisitor did the next funny thing - rather than directly attacking the next mob, he started running around it as if he was ordered to move. So I let go of the LMB, I clicked and hold it on the mob - and guess what - my Inquisitor once again did a few half swings which yielded no damage, and then started hacking. In addition to that, if the target moves out of close combat range (which I'm starting to see rather often) the Inquisitor just stops and does nothing while the enemies keep on hacking at him.

The only chars that are not affected by this are my magic users - the buffer SW, the HE and the Celestial Seraphim, since their default attack is the RMB - they use only CAs anyway.

So... I guess this is a cry for help to any other close combat oriented people on the forums - how do you deal with that? How do you switch targets quickly without much clicking? The only thing I came close that circumvented the problem was to move to the mob itself, directly touching it - then let go of the LMB, target, click and hold. Holding down the LMB seems necessary - otherwise he hacks once and stops. Still, if there are a few mobs in the group, I take like 3-4 hits before taking a swing myself. That's ok, since purifying chastisement boosts his damage when he's hurt but... One day he won't survive like this.

Edited by Dobri

I don't mean to hijack your thread dobri but I felt this might be of some confirmation that 2.40 has caused some glitches with the mouse clicks.

Since installing the patch I now find that my HE Blazing Tempest doesn't always work using the RMB.

Instead of firing off BT she will move as though I have clicked the LMB.

I can even target an enemy and right click and she will move and not use the Blazing Tempest at all. th_wallbash.gif

Then after about 10 seconds of frantic RMB clicking she finally decides to fire off BT.

And yes....the BT was fully regenerated.

I thought my mouse was malfunctioning... as in time to get a new mouse.

But I think now that there are cooldowns built into the mouse controls now... probably to prevent overflow on the servers to make the servers more stable. However, the cooldowns are too long. All guessing here.

Can't be that. Can you imagine what kind of blow this is to the close combat chars if you're correct? :cow_white:

I think this has something to do with the summoned creatures control. To have them attack a specific target you must shift + click on it. Maybe this caused some changes in the mouse usage. I'm also guessing here :pitcher:

Uhm I got same melee bug, killed 1 char for me since .40 . Totally ok since I killed more doing stupid stuff :pitcher:

But somehow also one with my woodoo pet attack command.

Sometimes I cannot command it to attack no matter how I click, almost like ca lag :)

Edited by D-molisher

Started really noticing attacking problems last night. SW was acting like a spoiled child--click on a target and he would take a couple steps toward it. Getting mobbed by skellies and noticing that he is not defending himself, despite my mouse buttonery.

Not sure if this is related but the Shadow Warrior's CA, Belligerent Vault almost never works when I'm in combat. The animation starts, then resets but I still get hit with regen. Only way I can get it to work (and even then only about 50% of time) is to completely stop and only click RMB. If I'm not in combat or in 'combat mode' animation, it works much much better...around 90% of time. Shame because I really want to make a BG SW. For those who haven't played a SW, BG is almost identical to the Glad's Stomping Jump in S1.

@ Silearth if you're having trouble targeting with SW while using normal (LMB) attacks, try this. Don't initially click on target if it isn't right next to you. Instead click near it so you run toward enemy. While you're running, click on enemy. works alot better than 'step, swing, step, swing' :Just_Cuz_21:

I had the same problem with the Seraphim's Assailing Sommersault CA. Sometimes when it should work, it doesn't but the game thinks she just performed the CA and the cooldown timer starts.

The option for a normal attack does work, but if you're charging at a group of mobs, you are giving them the first hit that way. I argee this is one of the few options left but... Then every build should be tweaked to take damage and not to do damage :Just_Cuz_21:

Bit of a note to this topic and a test for everyone. After you've killed an enemy you'll notice that the body lieing on the ground can be highlighted by hovering over it. Now if you right click on the dead body you'll likely run to it. No idea why dead bodies have been made interactive/highlight-able... That should definitely be disabled though. When you've got piles of bodies around the battlefield it wreaks havoc on trying to attack.

The bodies can be highlighted because the Inquisitor has a CA Eruptive desecration that actually requires a dead body. I know of no other thing to do with a dead body. And I was thinking that this was going to be fixed by this patch?!

Still, the movement/attack bug is not stopped or disrupted by a dead body :Just_Cuz_21:

Does Eruptive desecration require the player to right click on the dead bodies? Otherwise I might request that they not be interactive. I'll have to give this melee problem a try. I've not played melee yet so not familiar with the intricacies.

You need to select a proper body to have it explode. So the bodies should be interactive by all means.

As for the movement/attack problem, reverting to the 2.34 patch style of move and attack should solve the problem :Just_Cuz_21:

Hmmm. I just tested this problem with a new Inquisitor I started. I can't seem to duplicate the exact same problem you're having Dobri. Or maybe I'm not understanding fully what you're wanting but here's what I did. For about 3 minutes I kept LMB down and ran around attacking things. In that time I had no problem killing my targets however none of my targets ran away. One thing I noticed that interrupted the LMB's attack mode was when I used the keyboard to move my Inquisitor backwards or forwards. I was able to reassert LMB attack mode by RMB clicking on a target. The LMB carried on in it's attack mode. So LMB doubles as a movement and attack function. I'd guess that a target moving out of range will interrupt LMB attack mode so for that you could RMB it or another target. :Just_Cuz_21:

Honestly though. Doesn't your index finger deserve a break once in a while? lol.

Well, I got a good mouse :Just_Cuz_21: Very soft and easy to move without much damage to the hand. xFire X7.

I also played a bit in SP with a dual seraphim I had made before and the problem seemed to appear at random. Sometimes when I click and hold she attacks as she should. Sometimes in the same situation she just stopped and did nothing. However, if the mob came close, she did attack it, just as it happens with a ctrl+ left click attack.

It's weird... perhaps I should run more tests, but a lot of people seem to complain about it both here and on the SIF.

Ah, my post was a bit premature. After running around a bit more I started to see this problem. It might be the source of a great many targeting problems actually but hard to tell. I think the problem that you've been experiencing is a result of your characters "tripping" as they run. Have you been drinking? :Just_Cuz_21: After a bit more experimenting I came across two issues with a melee Inquisitor. The first is as you said. That the LMB attack mode is interupted and reverts to its run mode. The second is that sometimes right clicking on a distant target will give no result. The Inquisitor will just stand there. After "LMBing" all over the place I tried something else and instead tried RMBing distant enemies using a melee CA. Eventually I found a two spots in the terrain where I could reproduce the second issue. No results from RMBing distant target. What's interesting is that I was plying in Low graphics which allows me to see the terrain seam lines. And at both problem spots I found the Inquisitor always gets stuck beside a seam line. Hard to say right now but it looks as though the characters are tripping on seam lines and their actions are being interupted. So I guess it wasn't the booze after all. ^^ I've also been cursing under my breath over targeting issues with my HE caster and would love for this to be resolved. If seam lines are indeed causing this issue then I'll need to prove it and maybe even be able to provide/suggest a solution to the devs so it can be fixed as soon as possible.

It would help a great deal if everyone could watch out for this. Play in low settings and whenever your character doesn't target properly have a close look at the ground. Some areas are difficult to spot seam lines though. Green coloured terrain I find especially hard...

I was drinking... But not too much :Just_Cuz_21:

I will try the low graphics tomorrow for the seam lines as you said. It would help a lot because if your melee char trips in combat while he's surrounded by 6-7 mobs, as my poor Chastisement Inquisitor usually is, things get nasty. It takes a second or two to realize the problem, re-target, click, hold, response... While the mobs around you don't have that problem :4rofl:

Edited by Dobri

Ok I am curious about this issue and have no idea...if its just me....let me tell u.

With my dryad...I use a bow...now what frustrates me is this...and I have no idea whether its the same thing u are talking about because I have nothing to compare too...as I built this toon after 2.4

Getting on with it...I use a bow...and when I left click to shoot the target...when the target dies...my toon moves forward...this can cause panic if I get too close to the pack...only way I can kinda solve this is to hold left control..before I shoot...and even then...my toon can move forward a bit just not as much.

Is that kinda the same thing u are talking about?

Zandy

Ok well just to be sure I want you to walk this straight line Dobri. *paints a zig zag on ground* :Just_Cuz_21:

I'm doing a few more checks this eve and I had a suspicion about these seam lines that I couldn't say for certain in my previous post. I just tripped on another one, "I swear it was only one drink ocifer...", and like the other two I found it is actually at an intersection of terrain patches. Not directly on top of the intersection point mind you but rather just beside it. I have a feeling that flat terrain won't cause this problem... Which is what I'll check next.

That matter about the mobs not being affected by this problem does pose a bit of trouble eh, haha. I smell a conspiracy. The Ascaron Devs have joined forces with Ancaria's evil doers! Ascaron/Ancaria... Coincidence? I think not! ^^

Come to think of this, I did realize this was a real problem while hinting in the orcs region close to the shore where the terrain is rather curvy and has a lot of slopes and hillsides. However, do you think there is enough flat terrain in ancaria to test it? And even of it works... That would be pretty much the only safe leveling spot for a close combat fighter :Just_Cuz_21:

***oh, I'm not officer Mr. Drunk!*** (I love that gig from a TV show here) :4rofl:

Edited by Dobri
Ok I am curious about this issue and have no idea...if its just me....let me tell u.

With my dryad...I use a bow...now what frustrates me is this...and I have no idea whether its the same thing u are talking about because I have nothing to compare too...as I built this toon after 2.4

Getting on with it...I use a bow...and when I left click to shoot the target...when the target dies...my toon moves forward...this can cause panic if I get too close to the pack...only way I can kinda solve this is to hold left control..before I shoot...and even then...my toon can move forward a bit just not as much.

Is that kinda the same thing u are talking about?

Zandy

Sorry Zandy. I was writing my previous post at the same time you were so didn't respond. I believe what you don't want is actually what Dobri does want, haha. I can understand your concern. My ranged TG isn't too fond of charging into battle either. :4rofl: However the way Dobri wants it is the intended reaction. Bad news for us but thank god for the tripping bug eh, hehe. Personally I don't hold down the LMB but rather I keep track of how many hits an enemy takes to kill it. For example it takes me 2 LMB shots to kill an orc so I fire 2 shots then let go of LMB and target the next orc for another 2 shots and so on. With mobs that are close together I'll sometimes just hold down the LMB but if they is one orc left to die in a mob I prepare to let go of the LMB. Oh and I always have my cursor over the next target long before the present target is dead. That way I won't run at all. :)

Come to think of this, I did realize this was a real problem while hinting in the orcs region close to the shore where the terrain is rather curvy and has a lot of slopes and hillsides. However, do you think there is enough flat terrain in ancaria to test it? And even of it works... That would be pretty much the only safe leveling spot for a close combat fighter ;)

***oh, I'm not officer Mr. Drunk!*** (I love that gig from a TV show here) :o

I find the desert the absolute worst. Makes me craaaazy. I was looking at the map trying to think of a good spot to test flat land... I think the only option would be to go underground into dungeons. So I guess you melee-ers will be hunting rats from now on, haha. I'm trying to recall at the moment if I've ever had the targetting problem in dungeons and I can't seem to think of an instance... None the less I'll be a lot more conscious of it when next I go underground.

Oh and who could forget the popular line, "I'm not as think as you drunk I am". :Just_Cuz_21:

If your looking for seams....I think the 'sector borders' line up at same spot. If you go into options.txt and look for something like sectorborders and set it to '1' it might do the trick.