Those evil little sour cherries!

Hey all! Take a cold shower in this hot time, then return, and try to read the topic! :viking:

So our days (actually my parent's days especially :crazy:) gone with coring out 11-12 Kg sour cherries. So annoying little fruit eh?

After we washed them, cored them out, (every little piece) we took the "balance" and started to count. Count I said! Count! School is over and then, tomi please tell me if I have 3Kg sour cherry, then how many sugar we need. BANG!

Anyway I went to feed the dog, so someone else had to do the counting. :D So the jam, the sour cherry-vodka, the frozen cherry is done.

The only good thing in this is when you want to eat some fruit in the winter. (Ohh and the cherry-vodka will be opened at Christmas as in every year)

Now, someone tell me, only we suffer by the thousands of sour cherries? And if not what do you do with them?

P.S Ohh and I haven't really talked of the 2-3 big-plastic basket of apricot that is waiting for us. Hope they won't disappear suddenly somehow. :viking:

lol

That's a delightful story, Tomi. You know, with my family when I was growing up, I only remembered now how much of the "chores" we had to help out with regarding the garden. My parents love gardens, and every year, hundreds of pounds of produce would come out of it. Course, dutiful sons being used as a source of slave labor was a part of the process, so we had to help with weighing, bagging, and bleaching vegetables, to all be chucked into this massive freezer we had downstairs.

We never did anything as exotic as cherry vodka though. I'm jealous.

What's the yield on this Tomi..how many bottles are you guys able to get out of this? And is this something that's been passed down in your family now? I used to have a friend, and all the males in their family used to make prosciutto twice a year if they were able to. Course they'd do this while drinking a lot of beer, and it was a great way for the generations to keep in touch.

:P

gogo

Ohh don't be jealous! I dont get much of that vodka. Not in public at least!

Um this thing...well as far as I know my parents, their parents, their parents did the same at summers. It's not so special though.

I know a few ppl who also makes jam for the winter, and the no-fruit times.

We have um...about...6-7 bottles of sour cherry, a few packets frozen (waiting for me, to make a soup of them at winter) and the rest is in the vodka. :P

12 bottles of apricot.

I guess I'll remember these moments happily when I'll grow up, but yet, I can't see any happy thing in this type of work.

Aargh, Tomi, I had the same "job" a few years ago. Cherries, apples, strawberries... no, no, no. The only good thing now is that we've got many jars of jam in basement. And (now just a few :) ) bottles of cherry vodka.

The worst thing is that when I was collecting strawberries, I always had burned skin on my back (sun is pitiless. deffinitely) and now I really don't like to go out when sun is shining. Or maybe burning. However from time to time I have to :)

I hope more traditions like this continue to get passed down for peeps everywhere. The stuff my parents spent time teaching me is one of the things I'm most grateful for.

:D

gogo

I hope more traditions like this continue to get passed down for peeps everywhere.
Ohh gogo! You can be sure! My children will

suffer too! No way they can escape...(why do I say I'll have and how many children. How can I know...doh! never mind

11-12 Kg sour cherries?! Yeesh Tomi. I think I would like cherries a lot less after coring all that, haha. I hope the results are worth it though. :D

lol @ tradition. Hmmmm... I'll have to remember this when I need my 3 nephews to do something. "Why yes me boys. It's a long standing tradition in the family for the children to get out and push when the car runs out of gas... eh heh." :P

Oh Tomi, Do enjoy it or find a way too.. Growing up at every thanksgiving dinner, it was my job to cut and mix the cherries and cream cheese to put on celery.. (I hated it and never ate it) and grumbled alot.. they stopped giving them to me to do (and haven't been down to one in many years) so I do miss it.. My one little contribution.

Now the vodka! I used to make a fantastic wild berry vodka with raspberries and blackberries. mmmmm Oh I think Ill make up a batch just for memories sake! of course the best part is drinking it later :P

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great idea Lord! I like it.

If you ask me, I was trying to find out how to make them. I know only a few thanks by parents.

If someone will start the thread, I'll gladly help with my knowledge.

*Hay! Who is chuckling back there?!*

laugh.gif

Edited by tomi

Hi Tomi. Your threads are great fun. Don't know where you get all the beans from. :cry:

We use dark rum here instead of vodka. Cherries (not necessarily stoned) into a big jar, cover with dark rum, put on a loose lid, keep at least 3 months. Give it to your parents for Xmas...ha...ha.

Funny thing is that a lot of people come back to the old traditional ways when all the rush of school and work has calmed down. If not before, you come back to it when you retire. So take note and don't ever lose it.

Ohh hehe thanks! :crazy:

I have to try out that one for sure! Though I'm afraid there's no more cherries at shops for now. At least not delicious ones.

Thanks for idea. And I loooove that you made that topic. ;)

• 2 months later...

Well since the talked about the cherry vodka, I thought I post some pictures, since as far as I know I havent posted any of it before.

*maybe this is the right topic to post...or not...lol*

So here you are, enjoy!

IMG_3706.jpg

Someone drank the 1/4 of it already, although my parents promise in every year that they WONT open it before Christmas. They always fail.

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

Omg it's smell is better than how it looks like. :)

COOOOOOOOL!!

Ahh and I can recommend it to everyone. It's is soooo simple to make, and you need only cherries, well vodka, and one more type of alcohol which is very common everywhere, and the most important is patient and time. (which we never have).

If you can wait, it becomes awesome for the Christmas. And it IS a cool Christmas present as well!

P.S If anyone wants, I can send the ratios and alcohol names. (But maybe I've send it already in an other thread? sigh it was a long time ago, cant remember.)

Edit: DOHH! Sorry didnt realize that there are some dust on the bottle. Too lazy to make new pics and wipe it off...

Edited by tomi

Beautiful pictures, Tomi. I love seeing stuff like this. Question...what do you guys do with all the cherries after? Do you slip one in every glass that's drunk?

I bet they pack a punch

:)

gogo

Question...what do you guys do with all the cherries after?

gogo

The cherries? Ohh lol I guess you know the answer! :yay: That's the best part of the vodka. Usually we eat it! Well not usually, but always. Well that's not exactly correct. ENCI eats them usually. She sneaks to us while parents are away and she eats all the vodka cherries from the bottle. Well since we know that the bottle is big, enci is not, you can imagine as she tries to pull out cherries one by one from the bottle. Even her elbow is in the bottle :)

But again, best part of the vodka. It's faaaaar better than a Mon Cherry

Eating vodka cherry is good! yamm yamm.

Edit: Ahh! sry it was hard to understand the question lol

We eat it simply, though we could "put them in glasses" but lol does it matter how you get drunk?

And um...parents say they are strong. Well depends...

Edited by tomi