Frame Rate Drops In Games

I am experiencing the frame rate drops.

Unfortunately I am at a loss to what could be the cause. The game should run flawlessly and never drop below 60fps, maxed out at any resolution up to 1920x1080

But it does not!

--------------------

CPU: Q6600 G0 step OC @ 3.4 GHZ 1.55 volts (cooled by Thermaltake Big Typhoon)

MOBO: XFX 750i

GFX: 2x eVGA GTX 275 @ 710/1596/1270

RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX 1066 - 5-5-5-15 2t 2.1v

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Xtremegamer SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80gb 8mb cache in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Asus V2203 22inch 1680x1050 resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL: Logitech G25

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

I am experiencing the frame rate drops.

Unfortunately I am at a loss to what could be the cause. The game should run flawlessly and never drop below 60fps, maxed out at any resolution up to 1920x1080

But it does not!

--------------------

CPU: Q6600 G0 step OC @ 3.4 GHZ 1.55 volts (cooled by Thermaltake Big Typhoon)

MOBO: XFX 750i

GFX: 2x eVGA GTX 275 @ 710/1596/1270

RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX 1066 - 5-5-5-15 2t 2.1v

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850 watt

CASE: Antec 1200

APU: X-fi Xtremegamer SPEAKERS: Logitech X-530 5.1

HDD: 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80gb 8mb cache in RAID 0

DISPLAY: Asus V2203 22inch 1680x1050 resolution

KEYBOARD: Logitech G15 MOUSE: Logitech G5 WHEEL: Logitech G25

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM

Welcome to the Forum beulahkilborn781!

Nice rig for gaming eh? I have a pretty good system too, and I get some slowdown or lag when there is lots of action on screen or running a high speed through small towns or when PhysX is on. I think its just the way the game is?

Dual-boot to XP 64 and you should not get any framerate drops. You are taking about a 30% decrease in performance in running Win 7.

Vista is AT BEST 40% slower than XP. Win 7 is AT BEST 7% faster than Vista. So really my 30% estimate is giving Win 7 extra credit.

Edited by ws5926
Dual-boot to XP 64 and you should not get any framerate drops. You are taking about a 30% decrease in performance in running Win 7.

Vista is AT BEST 40% slower than XP. Win 7 is AT BEST 7% faster than Vista. So really my 30% estimate is giving Win 7 extra credit.

30% difference between winxp64 and win 7 ? - not from my testing it's not - 10% max (I run games with desktop disabled which is easy to set up and in general win 7 drivers have been better optimised than the xp64 ones)

However the problem is nothing really to do with the OS it's to do with the amount of data transferral into memory and the speed it's retrieved from the harddisk (including access time and decropression from the Archives )

I run a i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz and HD5870/8800GT(physX ) and still get drops through they are usually in data intensive areas like the Urban areas due to the about of data being swapped into memory.

One way of helping is to decompress the text/object archives but this will not totally solve the issue

Edited by Axilian

I think it was PCMag or Tom's Hardware that did the testing on Vista and then retested on Win 7. They optimized all 3 operating systems for performance and ran them on the exact same hardware. They got their results from running multiple benchmark programs and comparing results.

I don't have much experience with Win 7, just the testing that I have read. I know for sure that Vista is a ridiculous resource hog from my own experiece with same hardware tests.

I don't remember where the testing was posted, it's been a while since I read the Vista testing and I just went to the summary of the Win 7 when it came out.

But they did say that Win 7 was at max 7% faster than Vista.

From a gaming point of view, this makes it a no-brainer which OS to choose when building a gaming rig. XP64.

My question would be - why even goto Win 7? I haven't seen a good arguement yet. If someone can give me a good reason to upgrade, I'll do it. But to drop the money on an OS that going to run 10-20% slower than what I have right now? Why?

Edited by ws5926
However the problem is nothing really to do with the OS it's to do with the amount of data transferral into memory and the speed it's retrieved from the harddisk (including access time and decropression from the Archives )

I run a i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz and HD5870/8800GT(physX ) and still get drops through they are usually in data intensive areas like the Urban areas due to the about of data being swapped into memory.

One way of helping is to decompress the text/object archives but this will not totally solve the issue

Based on this I would try eliminating the page file from windows. I've bee running this way since I built This Rig http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=6866606 and I think it helps Sacred2 run faster. I have 8 Gb and a Single GTX260 and I do get some drops but not as bad as with my old dog of Pentium D 2.8 Ghz on XP with only 2Gb ram and a GT9800. with 4096Mb permanent page file

I think it was PCMag or Tom's Hardware that did the testing on Vista and then retested on Win 7. They optimized all 3 operating systems for performance and ran them on the exact same hardware. They got their results from running multiple benchmark programs and comparing results.

I don't have much experience with Win 7, just the testing that I have read. I know for sure that Vista is a ridiculous resource hog from my own experiece with same hardware tests.

I don't remember where the testing was posted, it's been a while since I read the Vista testing and I just went to the summary of the Win 7 when it came out.

But they did say that Win 7 was at max 7% faster than Vista.

From a gaming point of view, this makes it a no-brainer which OS to choose when building a gaming rig. XP64.

My question would be - why even goto Win 7? I haven't seen a good arguement yet. If someone can give me a good reason to upgrade, I'll do it. But to drop the money on an OS that going to run 10-20% slower than what I have right now? Why?

Well Tom's Hardware hasn't been the same since Tom Pabst left (someone I met when I worked with BXboards website a long time ago) and to be honest I tend to ignore more of the stuff they put up as the test parameter aren't usually locked down properly.

I have to disagree as well about XP64 being a no brainer from a gaming point of view as well having used XP64 (in a multiboot configuration) since it was a beta and also from my own experience working in Games QA. XP64 has got some things going for it but on the drivers side it's a bloody mess. This can cause major issues and as it's a minor OS that has never properly been supported by MS a lot of hardware manufacturers haven't bothered with it (e.g. try finding wireless adapter drivers - very few have xp64 support)

For me unless you intend really to stay with kit from earlier than 2008 it's not really worth bothering with Xp64 - it was a pointer to the future though it was more an Experiment than a valid OS for the home user

Also the thing with Vista also is a misconception as TH is still obsessed with the state Vista was on it's initial release (I.e. not good). Things have improved a lot since then but TH always seem to want to prove otherwise (it is still slow compared to XP though but not as much as you would believe on the average PC running AV etc at the same time as games)

Anyway - I would a little wary of totally eliminating the page file from windows as some programs actually do need it to run - a better idea may be to swap it on it's own partition.

Anyway - I would a little wary of totally eliminating the page file from windows as some programs actually do need it to run - a better idea may be to swap it on it's own partition.

Sound like good advice. Any really common programs I might have they you know use the pagefile?

Interesting comments on Tom's Hardware, I didn't not know that they had changed. Don't goto their site THAT much, the graphics cards comparision chart is mainly what I look at there.

I knew that they made some improvements to Vista, but from what I had heard, it's still not up to par.

I did a fresh install of XP64, same hardware, from XP 32bit and I can see a difference. I also don't have a $3000 machine, so I can't say as far as the new graphics cards, but I haven't had any trouble with drivers. When XP64 first came out they were hard to find, but I didn't have any trouble this time. I know that XP64 takes the same windows updates as Windows 2003 server, so I'm guessing that it was built more off of that. I know a fresh operating system always runs faster, but I keep my OSs pretty clean and don't load up a ton of clutter like most.