Rune Penalty

Say I have 2 Shadow Warrior. On the 1st Shadow Warrior I increase GrimR where 1 rune = 1 level. I do this until its level 100. Then on the other Shadow Warrior, I increase GrimR where 1 rune = .4 level (roughly). Also do this untill level 100. Will the end result be the same for both? That is, will both GrimR have the same stats, just the second taking more runes? Thnx in advance

Assuming that the SW1 has the focus level to get you to Combat Art level 100 with 100 runes. the SW2 with no focus level will actually take 10 runes to = 1 level and at Combat Art level 100 the biggest difference you would see is your regen penalty from GrimR will be way lower on SW1 than SW2.

The reason this is important is that that Regen penalty is applied to all of your Combat Arts. Now is is possible to overcome the regen penalty with Concentration, Armor Lore and the attribute Stamina, it is a very inefficient way to go. better to go with the Focus and use Combat Art modifiers from gear and jewels to get your Combat Art level.

BTW a level 200 char with 75 hard points into a Focus skill and 200 runes read into a Combat Art can only achieve a Combat Art level of about 105.

oh. I better stop then :lol:. ok, this raises another question. is the stat increase for a single rune on both Shadow Warrior the same? for example, if SW1 recieves +%5 regen, +5willpower, and +50health from GrimR level 5-6, will SW2 recieve the same increase from GrimR level 5-5.4? because if so, the end result for SW2 may be a regen double that of SW1, but he would also have twice the willpower and health bonus, and that would make up for the extra regen (just example, so numbers inaccurate). not sure if thats all clear.

oh. I better stop then :lol:. ok, this raises another question. is the stat increase for a single rune on both Shadow Warrior the same? for example, if SW1 recieves +%5 regen, +5willpower, and +50health from GrimR level 5-6, will SW2 recieve the same increase from GrimR level 5-5.4? because if so, the end result for SW2 may be a regen double that of SW1, but he would also have twice the willpower and health bonus, and that would make up for the extra regen (just example, so numbers inaccurate). not sure if thats all clear.

if looking at Combat Art level 6 compared to Combat Art level 5.4 then no, the stats would be the same at 5.4 at the are at 5.0 with the exception of the regen penalty as outlined above.

now this is a problem. I assume u play on PC. I have xbox version, and the sub-levels for my Combat Arts DO INCREASE. from level 5-5.4, I recieve +3 willpower, +20 health, and a little regen (not sure exact amount). these increases remain constant throughout all Combat Art lvls, so level 20.1-20.5 give the same increases as level 5-5.4. this is why im not sure if doing sub-levels untill level 100 will render the same multiplier effect as leveling by whole numbers (meaning regen, willpower AND health will be x% higher)

Hmm..... I will have to observe as I do run some buffs above focus level. but rarely remember any change in the bonuses until the next full level.

I am on PC. I wonder if console is different. and I can't check my xbox version because my box red ringed on me today when I went to turn it on to check LL% for some other guys

well I know alot of things have been patched on PC but remain untouched on consoles (Dryads infection spell thingy is one example). so perhaps sublevel increases were present on PC at one point. does anyone else know anything about this? dont be shy :lol:

I would guess the increase you gain from 5 to 6 is larger than the increase from 5 to 5.4 (stat value wise) whereas you still get the full regen penalty from each rune read, so you can read plenty of runes to get to a full point but every rune adds more time to regen. Focus skills reduce that regen and raise max level of Combat Art at same time. It gets to point you can add runes and get no bonus for them, after you get over 300 runes in GR. More you add, the more it takes to get a full point.

Consoles are based off 2.36 (I think, its getting blurry thinking back) whereas PC is 2.65 so plenty of things have changed.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I'm kind of confused about this topic too. I saw this pic in one of the Shadow Warrior guides:

Reflective Emanation :

reflectiveenamation2.jpg

And then I read this paragraph on the wiki:

"For example, let's say your HCALWP is 10 for a certain Combat Art, and you have memorized 14 runes for that Combat Art. Because you are penalized for 4 of those levels, your actual displayed level of the combat art will probably be around level 12. The Combat Art's damage and effects will be that of a level 12 skill. However, the regeneration time will be that of a level 14 art. So, the benefit-to-regen-penalty ratio is becoming worse with each rune you memorize over the HCALWP."

Does mean than for the Shadow Warrior in the pic, that particular reflective emanation, even though it's at a combat art level of 181.9, has a regen penalty that would be equivalent to that of a level 700 reflective emanation (if it existed), rather than that of a natural level ~181'ish combat art? That +52.3% regen penalty doesn't seem that high at all.

I'm just wondering if it's safe to pump runes into sinister predator for my dryad above its HCALWP. I know that the regen penalty will be higher, but will the "benefit-to-regen-penalty" become worse?

Chrona had replied in Put's dryad thread with his own build:

"combo: Darting Assault(1 rune)+Ravaged Impact(1 rune)my regtime 0,0 lol

Buff: Bark(~700 runes)+SP(~700 runes)

Dust Devil ~500 runes

Forest Flight ~200 runes

Goldenglade Touch ~500 runes"

Regardless of what the actual combat art levels of Ancient Bark + SP are, he's running around with level 700 regen penalties? I don't get it...how does he maintain a 0.0 regen time?

Edited by cloudblade70