Questions about online play

Having just started using the PC version online I have run into a couple of snags I was hopeing to get some info for.

My friends and I play on open net or LAN as we want to be able to play our characters offline as well as online. We weren't able to get hamachi to work, but haven't gone through all the trouble shooting steps yet, so tried using open net to play. Both times we have played we had a different person host the game. I did first and my remote friend the second time, the third person is my room mate, and we are using a router through a single IP address.

Both games had someone get to a point where they could not interact with anything, everything on the client side seemed fine as they could run around and look at their stats and enemies showed up, but they couldn't hurt anything, couldn't be hurt and couldn't pick up anything and the other players just saw the person standing there doing nothing. If the person leaves the game it doesn't save, so they lost everything since their last save. The first time it happened to my remote friend, the second time was to me.

Does anyone know what causes this or a way to fix it?

Also, is there a command to force the game to save? Only save option I see is to exit and save, but I want to save while still playing. I see teleporting does save, but looking for a way to save out in the field.

Before I try to get my remote use friend to try to get hamachi working (each time I had to look up the next step of trouble shooting he would start playing the game again, so I spent more time waiting on him to exit out then looking up info) does anyone currently play using hamahi to be able to confirm it works, and if so does it work any better than open net to make it worth going through the hassle?

Sorry for all the questions, but the people I am playing with make trouble shooting much harder than it should be and it doesn't help that they are both on windows vista :drinks:

Got hamachi working yesterday, but only played for a few hours so not positive that it wont have same issue we had in opennet. We have been saving more often just to be safe though.

For anyone else trying to use hamachi, we have the LAN game showing up and then disappearing. We are still able to connect to the game, you just have to quickly hit the join game button after double clicking the server as the button greys out fast.. sometimes takes a few tried, but the game seems to respond better over the hamachi network than the opennet.