Fen Fire problems

My seraphim was doing great until I hit the archaeologist's camp. Just after there are fen fires which she refuses to even target. They pound on her without being pounded back and I either have to retreat or die eventually. I've read somewhere else about bugs when hitting fen fires. I'm not sure whether this is what's happening or what. My sidekicks don't try to attack the fen fires either. It's as though they don't exist, except they keep hitting me for damage. I'm stopped dead in my tracks at this point. I've tried different weapons with no success. Like I said, it's not that they're too strong - my seraphim never even targets them or makes any attempt to hit them.

If this is a bug, it's a bad one. Like I said, unless somebody has some good advice, the game is essentially over for me at this point since I can't advance. Sigh.

My seraphim was doing great until I hit the archaeologist's camp. Just after there are fen fires which she refuses to even target. They pound on her without being pounded back and I either have to retreat or die eventually. I've read somewhere else about bugs when hitting fen fires. I'm not sure whether this is what's happening or what. My sidekicks don't try to attack the fen fires either. It's as though they don't exist, except they keep hitting me for damage. I'm stopped dead in my tracks at this point. I've tried different weapons with no success. Like I said, it's not that they're too strong - my seraphim never even targets them or makes any attempt to hit them.

If this is a bug, it's a bad one. Like I said, unless somebody has some good advice, the game is essentially over for me at this point since I can't advance. Sigh.

As far as I remember, on console ranged weapon had a seriously hard time with Fens, and t bats. its a bug. I never had trouble with a casted spell or melee weapon though.

Yeah, I had lots of troubles with the big bats everytime I played ranged characters. So much trouble that I just ignored them after a point. I had assumed they have blocking:ranged or just a really high ranged defense value. 8/

Fen fires I feel are just highly evasive, since CtH are low vs. them with any kind of weapon.

Yeah, I had lots of troubles with the big bats everytime I played ranged characters. So much trouble that I just ignored them after a point. I had assumed they have blocking:ranged or just a really high ranged defense value. 8/

Fen fires I feel are just highly evasive, since CtH are low vs. them with any kind of weapon.

ha ha ha! Me to! I just assumed bats (and fen fires) were immune to ranged. Good to hear that they are not.

Those fen fires sure do hit hard though. Cheaty Barstewards.

ha ha ha! Me to! I just assumed bats (and fen fires) were immune to ranged. Good to hear that they are not.

Those fen fires sure do hit hard though. Cheaty Barstewards.

Well, they don't seem to be "evading" my attacks since they seem to have nothing to evade - I'm just not attacking them in the first place. I never get the yellow "target" circle around them. I've had other monsters (bats with ranged weapons are a good examples) where I'd target them but not much of my attacks would land. They'd still have the yellow "target" circle on them though, showing that I was at least making an effort. Also, my companions would still attack the bats. This is a totally different matter. There is no target circle on the fen fires at all and my companions totally ignore them as they're pounding away at me.

Well, they don't seem to be "evading" my attacks since they seem to have nothing to evade - I'm just not attacking them in the first place. I never get the yellow "target" circle around them. I've had other monsters (bats with ranged weapons are a good examples) where I'd target them but not much of my attacks would land. They'd still have the yellow "target" circle on them though, showing that I was at least making an effort. Also, my companions would still attack the bats. This is a totally different matter. There is no target circle on the fen fires at all and my companions totally ignore them as they're pounding away at me.

Gah! :) That is totally weird.

The only time I've had this issue is with the Champion Humanoid_Monster#Garema_Assassin, which have an invisibility spell that they use when they get low on health. Maybe this is the enemy you mean?

For reference, Energy#Fen_Fire. Is the Will-o-the-Wisp kind of creature on the Dryad Island, but according to your description, you are in Jungle region, which would be the Garema's.

If it is the Garema's, then there is almost nothing you can do except use non-targetted Area of Effect spells.

Edited by essjayehm

Gah! :oooo: That is totally weird.

The only time I've had this issue is with the Champion Humanoid_Monster#Garema_Assassin, which have an invisibility spell that they use when they get low on health. Maybe this is the enemy you mean?

For reference, Energy#Fen_Fire. Is the Will-o-the-Wisp kind of creature on the Dryad Island, but according to your description, you are in Jungle region, which would be the Garema's.

If it is the Garema's, then there is almost nothing you can do except use non-targetted Area of Effect spells.

oho! If invisible Gaema's are you problem there are all kinds of ways to deal with them

some invis Gaema's are melee attackers. Melee reflect should take care of them Gold mod (Retaliation). The onces that shoot lightning the warding energy buff (Magic Mirror) should take care of them

I'm definitely in the jungle, but these things aren't humanoid at all. I didn't even notice them attacking me when I was staring right at them. For a long time I was wondering why my health was dropping and what that weird noise was. Eventually I noticed this weird little hard to see glow and realized that something was after me. Sadly, I've relied on my pelting strikes for "area attacks" to this point, and it usually takes out enough of a swath that I have no problem making it through mobs, but it won't touch these things. I've built up my Nova Flare a bit and I think it's had a slight effect on them, but the regen time is too long. If they don't heal, maybe I'll get up there and eliminate everything else and then hit them with the nova and run away until it's regenned and repeat. Also, might be a good time for some runes. This seems to always happen in these character building games with me - I build up my character without realizing that I'm building in some sort of deficiency which totally stops the game at some point down the line. Well, I'll give all sorts of stuff a shot and see if anything works.

Thanks for the advice!

oho! If invisible Gaema's are you problem there are all kinds of ways to deal with them

some invis Gaema's are melee attackers. Melee reflect should take care of them Gold mod (Retaliation). The onces that shoot lightning the warding energy buff (Magic Mirror) should take care of them

Thanks! I'll see if any of this works. The things still look like fen fires to me - at least comparing them to what I see in the Wiki. I have no idea how to identify them other than comparing pictures. Is there any way to identify the monster you're dealing with? Sorry to be so dense, but it's not really been an issue until now.

I'm definitely in the jungle, but these things aren't humanoid at all. I didn't even notice them attacking me when I was staring right at them. For a long time I was wondering why my health was dropping and what that weird noise was. Eventually I noticed this weird little hard to see glow and realized that something was after me. Sadly, I've relied on my pelting strikes for "area attacks" to this point, and it usually takes out enough of a swath that I have no problem making it through mobs, but it won't touch these things. I've built up my Nova Flare a bit and I think it's had a slight effect on them, but the regen time is too long. If they don't heal, maybe I'll get up there and eliminate everything else and then hit them with the nova and run away until it's regenned and repeat. Also, might be a good time for some runes. This seems to always happen in these character building games with me - I build up my character without realizing that I'm building in some sort of deficiency which totally stops the game at some point down the line. Well, I'll give all sorts of stuff a shot and see if anything works.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks! I'll see if any of this works. The things still look like fen fires to me - at least comparing them to what I see in the Wiki. I have no idea how to identify them other than comparing pictures. Is there any way to identify the monster you're dealing with? Sorry to be so dense, but it's not really been an issue until now.

Thanks to you all. It wasn't as much of a train wreck as I had feared. Every time I had gone in I had seen at least two of these things at the start and I assumed that I'd be seeing lots more as I progressed, but this last time only one appeared. I used my divine gift and Flaring nova and just ran away until the nova regenerated and killed him. Hooray! There was only a couple more I encountered all the way through the jungle so now I'm on the Dryad Island and progressed another couple of levels so I'm back on track. Thanks again!