Buffs not Staying Active on my Unique Mount

I have pretty much abandoned using my unique mount at all (same thing happens on regular mounts) because it seems my buffs (Soul Weaver and Reverse Polarity for sure, purifying chastiment may still work) always deactivate while I am riding. Soul Weaver always deactivates after all energy from souls has run out, Reverse Polarity deactivates when there are no more monsters nearby and the buff animation disappears. The buffs turn back on if I either dismount or manually turn off the buffs and then turn them back on. Purifying Chastiment may deactivate also, but I can't tell since it has no buff animation.

I did a search on this and found some tidbits of related info but no clear answers. Is this a known bug or is this by design? Does the Riding skill have any effect on this? Thanks.

I have pretty much abandoned using my unique mount at all (same thing happens on regular mounts) because it seems my buffs (Soul Weaver and Reverse Polarity for sure, purifying chastiment may still work) always deactivate while I am riding. Soul Weaver always deactivates after all energy from souls has run out, Reverse Polarity deactivates when there are no more monsters nearby and the buff animation disappears. The buffs turn back on if I either dismount or manually turn off the buffs and then turn them back on. Purifying Chastiment may deactivate also, but I can't tell since it has no buff animation.

I did a search on this and found some tidbits of related info but no clear answers. Is this a known bug or is this by design? Does the Riding skill have any effect on this? Thanks.

Just to clarify: The buff symbols below your picture/health/experience are disappearing, or the "buff effect" onscreen are disappearing. If it's the former, it's either a bug or you're turning your buffs off and don't realize it (which I doubt, rhs... you've been around long enough) If it's the latter, that's normal. Watch the buff symbols to truly tell if they are active or not.

Of course, with a horse... you cannot have buffs (they deactivate when you mount) nor can you use any Combat Arts at all. Only regular attacks/horse Combat Arts.

The buff symbols are staying active, just the "buff effect" disappears. And when the buff animation effect disappears, so does the stat bonuses that I get from those buffs. So it sounds like this is by design then and not a bug...should they not always stay active when riding my unique mount? I know that they are not supposed to work on normal horse mounts.

Sounds like a console-only bug then... it definitely does happen though, 100% sure. I noticed the same thing on my TG, T-Energy Shroud would disappear in the same fashion that Reverse Polarity does while riding my unique mount when there are no more enemies on the screen. The same thing happens (the buff animation effect disappears) when not on a mount and no more monsters are around, but the difference is that when on foot, the buffs automatically reactivate when a monster comes near, while on my mount they will never reactivate unless I dismount or manually deactivate/reactivate the buff.

My inquis could certianly use the HP boost too, I chose toughness over constitution as my last skill pick thinking that I could offset the HP loss with mounts and putting attribute points into vitality, worst decision ever... :D

I'm fairly certain the bug just negates the buff effects and not the buff itself. The most common instance of the bug for me was when mounting as an Inquisitor with Soul Reaver on. The buff effect appears for the first in/out combat cycle, then vanishes altogether while mounted. I'll give it a quick test and post my findings.

The buff symbols are staying active, just the "buff effect" disappears. And when the buff animation effect disappears, so does the stat bonuses that I get from those buffs. So it sounds like this is by design then and not a bug...should they not always stay active when riding my unique mount? I know that they are not supposed to work on normal horse mounts.

Regarding the highlighted text: You are looking at your "bonus" overview on the Overview screen to see the stats are gone? That would definitely be a bug, but I will test as well with my Inky tonight. I was always confident the effect was still active, just not displaying correctly on-screen, and I have been playing with buff effects off since then. Maybe try turning off the effects, and see if your stats still disappear...

Regarding the highlighted text: You are looking at your "bonus" overview on the Overview screen to see the stats are gone? That would definitely be a bug, but I will test as well with my Inky tonight. I was always confident the effect was still active, just not displaying correctly on-screen, and I have been playing with buff effects off since then. Maybe try turning off the effects, and see if your stats still disappear...

I just tested on my Seraphim (only char with mount atm). I dual and single buffed both Battle Stance and Cleansing Brilliance in the Swamps for testing. When on foot, both buffs show their buff effects perfectly fine. I then mounted up on my Celestial Tiger to find all buff effects did indeed vanish for the duration of being mounted after the first immediate in/out combat cycle, but that is only provided you activate the buffs prior to immediate combat. Otherwise, the effects dissipate after about 10 seconds of idle time mounted. However, even when the buff effects are not visible they DO still show up in the bonus overview as providing their active bonuses. Also, Cleansing Brilliance still damages undead and t-mutations even if no effect animation is present. Therefore, it's probably just a graphical bug that spans across all classes when they mount on their uniques.

I will test it out again as well later, one thing that I know for sure is that with Soul Reaver, once the buff animation disappears, you will not see the animation of the souls flying from corpses into the inquisitor anymore, and you therefore also do not get any attack or defense bonus from the enemies that you kill (this is what I was referring to when I said my stat bonues went away, that my Attack and Defense stats were no longer increasing as I killed monsters, even though Soul Reaver was clearly still active since I could still see the buff symbol).

With the T-Energy Shroud disappearing on my TG, I didn't really have a way to tell from looking at my stats in the menu if the armor was gone or not, but it always seemed like my armor was much weaker immediately after the shield animation disappeared from my TG. I eventually stopped using my unique mount with him as well, as I was getting tired of constantly losing my shields and needing to reactivate them.

It may have just seemed that way because you had no way of knowing whether or not your energy shield was up at any given time. I wouldn't throw out using the Mobiculum entirely, since it does offer a modest bonus to shield regeneration while mounted. Otherwise, I would just make sure you have a decent running suit if you do not wish to use mounts.

Edit: I'm working on an Inquisitor, so I'll let you know if I see any issues with Soul Reaver.

Edited by Bleak_Advent

Ok, I'm wrong. :) Using Soul Reaver, after the buff animation disappears, killing more monsters DOES still increase attack and defense values, even though you no longer see the animation of the souls going from the corpse to the inquis. I assume the other buffs still work as well after the buff effect animation disappears.

Ok, I'm wrong. :) Using Soul Reaver, after the buff animation disappears, killing more monsters DOES still increase attack and defense values, even though you no longer see the animation of the souls going from the corpse to the inquis. I assume the other buffs still work as well after the buff effect animation disappears.

I tested every character and it is indeed a bug that negates buff effects while mounted on an unique. This applies to all personal buffs on all characters (minus Dryad, Inquisitor, and SW companion buffs). All combat values, affects, and field damage still function properly when the corresponding buff has its effect animation vanish while on an unique mount.

Good work, guys! I found the exact same results last night. Definitely a graphical display, I have usually played with buff effects off, except when using Soul Reaver, since I like to know if/how many souls I have.

I actually get these display effects while on foot as well, but only sometimes do the effects not come back on when engaged in combat, instead of mostly. Obv, I didn't know because effects were turned off.

Good work, guys! I found the exact same results last night. Definitely a graphical display, I have usually played with buff effects off, except when using Soul Reaver, since I like to know if/how many souls I have.

I actually get these display effects while on foot as well, but only sometimes do the effects not come back on when engaged in combat, instead of mostly. Obv, I didn't know because effects were turned off.

I'm just glad we finally have clarification on this issue, especially in the case of Soul Reaver. Now I don't need to worry about riding my Spiders of DOOM! :)