Platinum to Niob...

OK, so my Queen of Blades seraphim is bombing around in platinum at level 71 these days and I'm wondering....should I just get through the main quest and get to Niob and wander around there or stick around on platinum for a little while? I'll admit, I died once in gold, near the end. I was distracted when 3 elite TG's jumped me, next thing I knew...dead. I havent really had trouble with much of anything yet but I also dont want to get to Niob and find it too difficult. I've been toying with the idea of getting to 50% map revealed (at 40.6% atm), visiting all the towns and basically picking up the rest of the trophies on Platinum, then hitting Niob but I cant say that Platinum has been much of a challenge thus far... (then again, I'm also reconsidering the wisdom of using a preplanned character build as most of them seem far too well thought out and that removes some of the challenge...I have 4 build-specific characters started but I suspect the rest will be 'seat of the pants' style to increase the challenge a bit).

Anyway, I havent quite gotten to Gar'Colosus yet so, wander more in Platinum or hammer-down on to Niob?

OK, so my Queen of Blades seraphim is bombing around in platinum at level 71 these days and I'm wondering....should I just get through the main quest and get to Niob and wander around there or stick around on platinum for a little while? I'll admit, I died once in gold, near the end. I was distracted when 3 elite TG's jumped me, next thing I knew...dead. I havent really had trouble with much of anything yet but I also dont want to get to Niob and find it too difficult. I've been toying with the idea of getting to 50% map revealed (at 40.6% atm), visiting all the towns and basically picking up the rest of the trophies on Platinum, then hitting Niob but I cant say that Platinum has been much of a challenge thus far... (then again, I'm also reconsidering the wisdom of using a preplanned character build as most of them seem far too well thought out and that removes some of the challenge...I have 4 build-specific characters started but I suspect the rest will be 'seat of the pants' style to increase the challenge a bit).

Anyway, I havent quite gotten to Gar'Colosus yet so, wander more in Platinum or hammer-down on to Niob?

Minimum level of monsters in Niob is going to be level 103-up (with a good survival bonus they will be 29 levels above you character level). So I used to try to get to at least level 85-95 before moving up the Niob. and at that level my QOB still died a few times against Niob mobs with multiple champs in them.

It's a valid question, mainerunr... I have found than when I get to Niob in the 80's, I always go back to Platinum and level up there, either in Swamp or Desert or Wasteland. The issue, as Loco said, is the enemy levels. The kobolds in Tyr Lysia will probably be near level 110, and when you're 30-ish levels below that, it is pretty easy to get spanked HARD by the little knee-biters. And forget about undead, etc around Thylisium, I've been one shot killed a couple of times there.

Even concentrating on defense, it will still be very annoying in Niob at that low level, as you may be able to withstand the damage coming in, but it will take a long time to kill anything, and at the end of the day, going back to Platinum will be a lot more "enjoyable".

Seeing as you haven't finished Colossus, you still have a lot of the (Plat) world to get through. I think you will have more "fun" when you get to some tougher areas (Orc land, Desert, etc) as the enemies in Tyr Lysia and Atamark are not very challenging (when levelled properly). Maybe try to get Empty Office Quest started, or as you said, get your map explored higher.

Your thought about using a preplanned character template (build) is valid as well, BUT, playing a toon for 50-100 hours only to find out you don't have a chance of competing at higher difficulties is worse, IMO, than being bored with a well built toon. If you haven't been into Niob yet, I suggest taking your QOB there and get a good idea of what you're up against so that when you get to designing your own character, you know what to expect at that difficulty.

It's a valid question, mainerunr... I have found than when I get to Niob in the 80's, I always go back to Platinum and level up there, either in Swamp or Desert or Wasteland. The issue, as Loco said, is the enemy levels. The kobolds in Tyr Lysia will probably be near level 110, and when you're 30-ish levels below that, it is pretty easy to get spanked HARD by the little knee-biters. And forget about undead, etc around Thylisium, I've been one shot killed a couple of times there.

Even concentrating on defense, it will still be very annoying in Niob at that low level, as you may be able to withstand the damage coming in, but it will take a long time to kill anything, and at the end of the day, going back to Platinum will be a lot more "enjoyable".

Seeing as you haven't finished Colossus, you still have a lot of the (Plat) world to get through. I think you will have more "fun" when you get to some tougher areas (Orc land, Desert, etc) as the enemies in Tyr Lysia and Atamark are not very challenging (when levelled properly). Maybe try to get Empty Office Quest started, or as you said, get your map explored higher.

Agreed. Going into Niob for the first time I'd recommend at the very least level 90, maybe even 95. Niob can be really tough if you haven't been putting enough points into defensive skills - if an monster critical hits you and you don't have enough hp and armor, you will die. The critical hits in Platinum and below don't have quite the same punch as in Niob. But keep in mind this is how you can also easily challenge yourself later on in your Sacred 2 playing days, to try going to Niob at a low level. Niob does have a certain level of allure in that you will have access to Niob arts, and all items that you find will have better stats. (Btw anyone else notice that before, that if you find say a level 90 set item in platinum and then find the same level 90 set item in Niob, the Niob version always has slightly better stats?)

Regarding using preplanned character builds, I agree with you mainerunr that using them takes away some of the challenge and therefore the fun. I have yet to use any preplanned builds for that reason, and also because it just wouldn't feel like my own! But I have had to start a couple of characters over (HE, TG) since my skill choices didn't quite work out like I had planned - comes with the territory. It may be a good idea to at least check out a couple of the preplanned builds for the character you are planning to use beforehand just to see what defensive skills they have chosen so that you at least know what will be required to maintain survivability all the way through Niob. The rest of your skill choices you can then choose at your own discretion.

I've got 150 or so mentor potions, I've been trying to keep them up to get that xp boost. made it to 72 last night, wandered into a dragon that I hadnt found before, probably going to head for gar soon. dumped another 15 runes into battle stance too, pelting strikes is still below 3.0 regen and I'm running a 0.9RpH so I'm always waiting on the animation.