LAN questing.

So after getting my new computer up and running, my buddy and I decided to play LAN together, since our access to the official servers is blocked (strict campus firewalls). However, we were wondering how to progress and save our quests together. I know the first thing is we have to make our new characters in the LAN screen and not the single player screen. Once we start playing though, do we always have to play together? If our quest progression becomes separated, what happens then?

As a quick test, we did one quest together, and then he made a new LAN character and joined my game game again, except it said his quest progress wouldn't be saved because I was ahead of him or something. However, when I tried joining his game, the one quest I did wasn't in my journal anymore.

And how about levels, do we have to stay within a certain range of each other to be able to play together?

First let me say I only play using the LAN, with my wife sitting beside me.

Assuming two new characters both of which have been created through Multiplayer - LAN (Single Player Characters can be played on the LAN but Quest Progress will not be saved).

1 - When one Player takes a side quest it is given to both characters.

2 - The side quest is completed or updated for both characters as long as they are both logged in. Note that both players must be close to the NPC to get the reward!

3 - Main Quests (storyline). If you both start together then same as above, one player updates main quest and both character logs get updated.

Main Quest Progress is not saved if characters are in different places in the storyline. For example, if player 1 logs in and talks to an NPC from the storyline then later player 2 logs in then quest progress (including side quests) is not saved for player 2, you must either both be logged in before talking to that NPC or player 2 must create a seperate game, talk to the NPC so progress is the same then Player 2 then can join Player 1's game and progress will be updated/saved.

You said your friend was told his quest progress would not be saved, that is because you did something on the main storyline before he joined your game. The first part is called "Multiplayer Campaign!" and is completed by teleporting to Sloeford from Multiplayer Island. To fix that he would only need to create his own game, go to Sloeford, quit and join your game, if you spoke to the first main NPC he must do the same in his own game too.

The available quests (in the log or waiting to be taken) come from the log of the person who created the game.

We find things can sometimes get messed up so we only take or carry out any part of a quest when we are both logged into the same game.

Levels don't matter at all. Just remember that the levels of the beasties you fight depends upon who enters an area first.

The other day I was playing alone with a level 61 Seraphim, I had gone back to kill one of the minibosses (Grunwald Dragon), my wife had just created a new High Elf. She teleported in with the level 1 character beside me while I was in the cave and watched/hid while I killed the dragon so she got a pile of experience. Last night I joined her level 35ish High Elf with my level 28 High Elf, we spent a couple of hours grinding together, neither of us died and I got more experience than I would have alone because we were fighting against level 35+ beasties I did use a few more potions than I would have had I played alone but we had fun so ....

One last thing. The way we play is that we are often in seperate games grinding to level 60, when we get to level 60 we stop playing with that character. Later (can be a long time later sometimes) we both start the Gold difficulty at the same time. When we play I always create the game so we can be 100% certain we both keep the same quest logs and progress is always saved.

I think I have got everything right. Sometimes, like now, I write too much and confuse myself :)

Edited by Gordius

Hey Gordius, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

So...the conclusion I reached after reading your response is that always playing together is the best way to ensure that quest progression is matched perfectly. However, if someone gets ahead in the main quest, then the other player can do what they need to get caught up to the same point, and then they can progress together again. How about if the player who is behind creates the game, and the player who is further ahead joins, will they then be matched to the lower char's quest status? Once they finish this quest together, then they will be even again?

As for side quests, if a player makes a game and hasn't done, say the Tutorial Blacksmith quest, and a second player who has already done the quest joins this game, they will be able to complete the quest together? It would be the first time the quest was completed for the original player and the second time for the other player. Would the other player get quest rewards again?

Also, how do you teleport to your team member's position? And is there an easier way to trade items without dropping them on the ground and waiting for the reserve time to run out?

Thanks!

1 - De nada :)

2 - Yes and yes to the first two points. 3rd, if the character who is "lower" than the other in the main quest than you makes the game then the higher (your) characters progress will not be saved. If you want to do that just write down where in the game the first character is then go into a game with your friend and wait until you are at same place.

3 - If a player has already done a quest he can repeat it if the player who creates the game has not yet done that quest.

4 - CTRL then click on the cute pic top left of your screen of the other character.

I suggest you spend some time looking at the SacredWiki. If I remember correctly most of these things are described there. Feel free to post questions though of course :)

Edited by Gordius