Question about rune eating and CA levels

Ahoy!

I started playing a few weeks ago, having a blast so far.

Anyway, I've noticed that my High Elf's Grand Invigoration is only growing in increments of 0.1 levels each time I eat a rune. She is currently level 36, but her GI is only at around 17-18 (as I recall). However, Crystal Skin (and indeed, just about everything buff I've used on other characters) is leveling just fine at 1 level per rune.

I tried doing a quick search, and found a possible link to level penalties. However, I'm not entirely sure if this is indeed the problem. If it is, I would appreciate someone giving a quick rundown of how it works. The same is already starting to happen to my melee High Elf (currently level 7), though she's gaining around 0.5+ levels per rune.

Any ideas?

• Like! 1

In order to keep it at 1 level per rune, you need to keep your rune level about 1/4 of your actual levels. The effect having a higher level of eating runes depends on the combat art.

The High Elf Grand Invigoration is probably the best one to keep leveling up even if it only does increments, because it helps reduce regen time on her attacks. I have noticed that if I stop eating runes -- and let the level catch up to 1/4 of my character's overall level, the rune level will even out.

edited for grammar.

Edited by Ysne58
  • Like! 1

What you have found is the correct information.

If you look at the tooltip for any Focus skill (in the case of GI, you'd need to have DA Focus), you'll see "Highest CA Level Without Penalty" (HCALWP). If you add hard points (consume runes) or soft points (bonuses from equipment) beyond this limit, then each point will only count for a fraction of a level.

You can raise the HCALWP by A) raising your character's level and B) putting points into the Focus skill for the respective aspect.

Edited by Mystix123
  • Like! 1

Thanks for the responses.

It's good to know that this sorts itself out. It makes sense considering that my melee High Elf saw an increment of 0.5, but earlier when I tried another rune, I think she gained 0.7, which I found to be a bit odd.