The Orc Cave: Does its experience remain superior at the higher levels?

Great data mining Mystix. Your findings are correct. Past level 150, the only way to achieve a higher level without the level taking literally forever is by questing. *One could debate at level 130, diminishing returns* The quest experience outpaces kill experience by a massive mulitude once past a certain breakeven point if you will.

You have a science & math background, which is clear. I base my findings on real time play experience with a touch of common sense, connecting dots. If one plays enough, you can achieve a baseline over time. Then finally, you can begin to see a pattern or trend line forming. Which clearly suggests the same as hard data.

Bravo! once again. The hard data backs up what some of us have been putting together via trial & error.

Thank You!

I remain, :smart:

Yah.. It makes sense - all areas have a level cap. When you start out in say, Silver, in the "home" areas of any of the characters, the critters and enemies you face will have a yellow ring - and the game will continue to give you yellow ringed opponents until you level up high enough to surpass the level cap of that area. You can test this by starting a game and when you hit, say, level 20, you can go back to the starting area of your character and find they're now ringed in white and are royally underwhelming.

But yeah, it's good to have hard empirical data to back that up.

Etherian:

I'd seen much discussion about switching from grinding to questing at the high levels, which mainly applied to the PC version. I wasn't sure if the same rule applied to the console version. I also wasn't sure if questing > grinding was the best rule of thumb, and I don't think that it's quite the rule of thumb yet. So far, there's only evidence of AITBD = Orc Cave (in short bursts). In other words, AITBD is an alternative to the Orc Cave, for variety.

If beyond level 150, AITBD's experience/second becomes greater, that would suggest that the most effective way of leveling would be to grind AITBD. However, the load time from having to quit/reload might throw off a longer term experience/second (at least, compared to the Orc Cave, which can be run indefinitely without a break...my record is a little over 10 hours straight). For my next test, I plan on running a comparison between successive AITBD runs and roughly the same amount of time in the Orc Cave.

Do you happen to have a list of preferred quests/chain quests which are commonly used by the PC players? So far, most of the chain quests which I've tested haven't been able to hold up to the Orc Cave or AITBD, so it might be good to have some alternatives.

Wolfie: The experience decline isn't a function of a level cap in this case. The experience/kill would drop much quicker than it does, and the level cap would affect the gear dropped also. I believe the level cap for the Orc region is in the mid-to-high 190s.

This diminishing returns is the overall decrease in experience/kill beyond a certain level (level 130, as Etherian referred to), across all mobs. This includes a diminishing return to the Nameless Guardians (at least on console).

• 2 weeks later...

Experiment 3

Same as Experiment 2, except for the following changes:

- A level 150 DW Seraphim was used for this test. (It only required 3 runs of each the Orc Cave and the AITBD conditions.)

- Instead of only running the AITBD chain once, then recording the data, I ran it twice (including the load times from having to quit, save and start another Free World game). This better simulates how I would actually run the quest if I were trying to level my character (for prolonged periods of time, as opposed to once).

General results:

Mean Experience/Second	SD
Orc Cave	3,791.47		48.78
AITBD		3,429.92		109.71

Statistical comparisons:

p		Result In Favour Of
Orc Cave vs AITBD	1.2%		Orc Cave

The Orc Cave regains favour (in experience over time) as you move beyond a single run. This makes sense, as you don't have to stop and reload at any point.

Of course, for each additional run you put into the AITBD chain, the experience per second decreases accordingly.

The difference between the Orc Cave and the multi-run variety of AITBD may disappear slowly (as the experience reward at the end of each quest increases), but both conditions suffer from the decreasing experience per kill, so this may not happen until somewhere above level 175 (if not higher).

I'm going to continue to see if any other chain quests can compare to AITBD. At that point, multiple chain quests could be tied together (which could close this gap quickly).