Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

Ahoy!

I recently started playing Sacred, after having played Sacred 2. Sacred is one of only a few games (in my Steam library) that my laptop can run at max without being taxed too much.

Anyway, I've taken a liking to the Vampiress. I made a melee vampiress on Silver difficulty. Been using the "Permanent-melee" build in the Vampiress guide section.

The problem I have encountered is that I seem to take a lot of damage, and therefore lose HP very quickly. At level 23, I believe my overall resistance value is a bit over 600, of which 350-ish is physical (I'm writing from memory). I'm using sword and shield, and I've made to keep my gear up to date with the higher protection values I can find. I've socketed 3 runes to get 9% lifesteal, but I'm not dealing enough damage yet for it to really be effective. Skill-wise, I've been investing a bit into Armor Lore and Constitution, with all points going to Physical regeneration to offset sun damage.

It's bad enough that I've been chugging potions constantly. If I don't have at least 10-20 potions on me, I'm pretty much screwed when spending any extended amount of time away from a town.

In short, I am wondering whether this is fairly normal for such a build, or if there is more I could be doing.

In particular, I must have died almost a dozen times at around level 6-7 to goblins. I think my attack value wasn't very high, so I could barely hit them, and couldn't kill them fast enough to stay alive.

Edited by Varthorne

Been a while since I've played S1 but starting silver difficulty and fighting the goblins was always tough - they are good at swarming you. Usually I'd level up with all the quests possible before going into that area so its not that your doing anything wrong, just a matter of timing ( the desert area can be tough on a vamp with all the archers, plus you need good fire resistance)

I'd suggest trying to get gear with defence in them, esp. amulets. You should be able to get a bit more even without trading skill.
attack values come from weapon lores IIRC so try and boost that and see if that helps. Also are you using the wolf pet? he's handy even just as a distraction. Bats are good too.
You could also maybe go to 6% LL, use the slot for more attack value or defence.
Hope its helpful until someone else adds better advice (didn't play much of the vamp)

It could also be that you are in an area where enemies use more than just physical attacks.

Poison, Magic or Fire can do a lot of damage to you if you only concentrate on Physical protection. I do believe your PC should comment on what you are lacking when you enter the area.

Please hover your mouse over the Armor value and see what protections you are lacking.

So for more help, could you tell us where you are in the world? And what you 4 armor protections (Physical, Poison, Magic, Fire) are.

Currently, I'm on my way to Braverock. I had a hard time with the desert, particularly the long trek to that battlefield way down south.

My defenses are as follows: 373 physical, 168 fire, 83 magic and 44 poison.

I'm starting to think (based on what you guys have said) that I've been approaching this game too much like I would Sacred 2, where scaling is such that I can keep progressing on the main quest without really running into any trouble. It sounds to me like I should be grinding a bit more.

So, SX, how/where does the game indicate the defenses I am lacking?

I'm starting to think (based on what you guys have said) that I've been approaching this game too much like I would Sacred 2, where scaling is such that I can keep progressing on the main quest without really running into any trouble. It sounds to me like I should be grinding a bit more.

So, SX, how/where does the game indicate the defenses I am lacking?

Yes, there are some difficulty spikes on the main quest, or when you go into a later area early. Your PC usually complains/comments when you enter a later area too early. Something like "magic wont get me far here" or "these guys seem immune to poison". In any case, you just need to do a bit of grinding in the previous area for better loot and gear. Do some sidequests. Map out the area. Eventually you should have good ranged and close combat weapons to take on these enemies.

I think in your case you just need better armor. Best grind around an area with a blacksmith and shop. Run in, check the inventory, leave town, come back and check the newly restocked shop inventory. Collect the rings and amulets you find for crafting.

For reference, my "TG" Dwarf at level 38 has resistance of 3075 and is cruising through some of the harder areas.

I personally found the zombies and skeletons in the desert as one such major difficulty spike. Wont even comment how long it took me to take down the desert dragon to get into the Orc town. After that most fights in the eastern swamp regions were easy.

Ah, that explains it. I've mainly been playing with the sound off. With the heat we've had these past few days, the basement is the only place that's bearable, while my desktop is on the second floor. Thus, I've been playing Sacred while watching TV, and often with other members of my family present for similar reasons. As a result, I keep it muted to help focus on the TV and to avoid distracting them.

As for the dragon, I started fighting him, died once or twice, and I then decided to just reject the Orc's offer, killed him, then entered the town.

• Like! 1