Flaring Nova Questions

Phoetad

I'm planning on using this skill in my build as a form of crowd control. Now, I'm wondering... If I mod it for the second pulse, does each pulse have a chance to stun? If it does, would this be a better option as opposed to increasing the radius? I know the second pulse mod lower's the radius, which isn't necessarily the best option for CC, but it would double the chance for stun if it works that way. Any input?

• 2 weeks later...

I am also interested in each pulse having a chance to stun.. If so each pulse would have a .2 probability of stunning. .8 squared chance a monster is unstunned = .64 or a .36 chance to stun.

Just casually glancing I don't feel I stun 1/3 of the time with this skill. But I am getting a lot of stuns, but I think more like 1/5.. I wouldn't bother casting it if not for the additional chance to weaken, since I am not really using the skill to do damage. Also you can even stun bosses. I stunned the nameless guardian with this skill.

A separate question on nova..

the gold mod is either more damage or slow. I am planning on only reading 1 rune and then spamming this thing mainly to stun and weaken. Not to deliver damage as I am a melee build...

What does slow do? Does it slow attack speed? Or run speed. Run speed would really not make sense imo as nova is kind of up close and personal..

Is weaken chance proportional to damage dealt? So maybe try to up the damage to deliver more weaken:)

Thanks!

Hey :pirate:

Both pulses have a nice chance to stun - if you have the CA at a resonably high level.

That goes to slow too - without enough level you wouldnt see the desired effect either slow or stun.

Thanks! Just to clarify on the slow I am understanding it slows attack speed. Because I really don't care about slowing movement since I am a tank...

BTW according to the wiki the stun chance doesn't increase very fast with CA levels. It would almost certainly be better to rock pulse after pulse than to wait for it to recharge...Of course if the recharge is sooner than the animation then eat runes..

Finally I am still wondering if weaken chance is propertional to damage done!

Based on my testing, chance for secondary effects depends on percentage of elemental damage compared to the total damage.

Nova's magic damage chunk is rather high, so it has a high chance to weaken.

Ok I think the gold damage mod increases the magic damage more than physical so theoretically that would give it more chance to weaken.. and damage is always good..

Still the question of whether the slow gold mod ONLY affect run speed which would be pointless unless I am kiting ranged. Or does it affect attack speed which would be a more defensive option than additional damage + more weaken.

Thanks already for your help!