Critical Hit Modifications, how good are they?

I have usually been skipping the critical hit modifications, unless the other option is particularly subpar or useless to me

is this a mistake?

A 10-20% base chance(on average from what I seen on the wiki) to do 20% more damage doesn't seem all that great.

do you usually take the critical hit mods or not bother with them? also, if DoT from poison or fire procs on a critical hit, that damage is also boosted, right?

The extra damage from a critical is calculated before armour reduction, and IIRC armour reduction is based on a ratio between damage and armour, so it is possible that the critical could put your damage ratio high enough to make the armour less effective, therefore applying far more final damage (ie after armour) than a mere 20%. I hope that explanation makes kind of sense, as I only sort of understand what I am trying to explain ;)

I notice crits most with my Ice Elf, as Shards scores many hits at once on the same target. For her, the crits are almost 1.67 to 2 times the damage of the normal hits. When factored over the many hits I score with that spell, it is a pretty darn significant damage boost.

ahh I see. the higher your damage is above their armor resistance, the less percent of it is blocked. that's pretty interesting. definitely going to make me second guess passing them up.

I mainly asked for the bronze mod choice for sinister predator on my Dryad. It was between attack speed and critical hits. I think I'm gonna still go with attack speed as I want to use Ice Crystals on my weapons

thanks for clearing things up for me, appreciate the answer.