How easy is modding Sacred 2 in the PC version?

Up till now I've been exclusively a console gamer for many years. However, I've decided that it might be time to hop onto the PC version. One of my only complaints with this game is the lack of polish in certain areas, such as various objects having "EMPTY LOKA ID" errors, misspelled words, etc. I'd really like to take it upon myself to clean the game up in my spare time.

I've run my own Ragnarok Online private server since mid 2007, so the natures of game modification and scripting aren't foreign to me at all. But I suppose my question is, just how big an undertaking is learning the ins-and-outs of this game's code? Are the file structures mostly logical and self-explanatory, as in "change this to that and X happens", or is it a lot of source work? If this seems like something which I could learn in my spare time, I'd love to try the PC version out and give it the makeover I've always wanted.

Most things are stupidly easy. I compiled a list of how-to topics and stuff for the Wiki's Modding Page, though I haven't contributed any guides myself. The only problem I have is that you get used to stuff being so easy it's frustrating when something that should be simple ends being impossible because it's hard-coded.

Scripts are unencrypted text files and pretty easy to understand, especially with someone to answer questions. Very quickly it's no more difficult than reading prose on a page.

All the graphics are in the pak folder and they respond to being placed into loose folders that will override those in the zip files if the folder structure is maintained (allows for easy testing).

Handling texts is more complicated as the global.res file requires a decoder/encoder program. A complication is that the knowledge base for using it was stored online and then lost, so you'd be getting third-hand info on what to do with it from me, or by trial and error.

I don't know if anyone's actually hacked the .exe file. If you're at that level of coding it might be nice to see what you're capable of.

Regarding what you said about missing text strings and typos, are you talking about the PC version or the console? Because the PC with Expansion + Community Patch is worlds above and beyond the console version. It should be typo free. I caught a few on the loading splash screens but that's it. I don't think there's any missing text.

I'd love to hear more of your ideas.

I appreciate your reply Flix.

It sounds pretty similar to what I've been doing. I started out playing Ragnarok Online around 2002, and in about 2006 I discovered the private server community. I downloaded an open source emulator, opened up the text files much like you're describing for Sacred, and just started changing things around. I've opened up the .exe client and screwed around with things a bit too, so I might be able to do the same for Sacred.

My main goal with Ragnarok was to take a flawed masterpiece of a game and essentially finish the work of the devs by fixing bugs, cleaning up grammar and presentation, and basically just giving the game a good old spit polish. That is exactly what I'd like to do with Sacred 2. I don't want to mess with the formula too much, I just want to bring out the real possibilities of the game- the work the devs were never able to do.

Here's a few things I would be doing if I decide to start working on the PC version. You tell me what you think:

- Completely re-done text. All of the dialogue and descriptions would be as close to the original as possible, but would be rephrased or retyped if they are misspelled or grammatically incorrect. Also, for missing descriptions I would work some new, tasteful stuff up.

- Add additional depth and explanation to certain skills, items etc.

- Find and eliminate any bugged or incomplete items, or if they can be salvaged give them a proper name/description/function.

- Slight changes to PvP mode to make more fun, fair and balanced. Potion restrictions, teleport restrictions, etc.

- A new housing system- completely hypothetical but I'm going to consider it. This might take a lot of time and effort, but this would probably be the last thing I did after completing all the other grunt work. Basically take certain unused structures and allow players to purchase them to save position, heal, pray at personal deity altar, etc.

- Potentially some minor interface changes, mostly aesthetic.

I'm pretty confident if I spent enough time with the software I could make at least most of this happen. If the community was interested in helping me I would absolutely be on board. Sacred 2 has a ton of unlocked potential and with the right kind of new features and coat of paint this game could be a knockout.

• Like! 1

So you don't have the PC version yet? I would spend some time with Sacred 2 Gold + Community Patch. You may find your work regarding text additions and amendments is much smaller than you imagine. I would be genuinely shocked if there were still instances of any bugged or incomplete items or text. Remember console versions are several official and unofficial patches behind PC.

There is still some inaccurate stuff... some sloppy things like cooldown/regeneration time being used interchangeably, when they are in fact two different things. And Energy Shield terminology being inexplicably different between the Temple Guardian's and Seraphim's versions, not to mention between the skill Warding Energy Lore and related item modifiers. I fixed most of this stuff in Enhanced Spells Mod.

I really went for broke with my mod Diablo 2 Fallen in terms of overhauling attribute and skill descriptions and getting all the tooltips aligned with each other and with item modifiers and skill properties. Of course, some of that text (especially combat arts) is actually quite different from the vanilla game, the mod being a recreation of Diablo 2, so I can't say that work has been "already done" in a definitive sense, as it's only available to players of the mod.

Changes to PVP and housing, that's out of my wheelhouse. Sounds intriguing though. I can envision the quest scripting to purchase a house, and I can even see how it could be possible to place some things at that location. It would definitely be a big project all on its own.

From what I've observed, the interface can actually handle a good deal of customization, though none has been attempted except for recolors and simple things like that. I would love to see something radical, but I just don't have the patience myself.

Interesting, I really need to get the PC version because it sounds like I'm missing out. I've been such a big fan of the console version for so long, but I can't help but feel like I would enjoy my experience a lot more if I just sucked it up and bought the PC version.

It sounds like a lot of the work is already done then, indeed. The console version is honestly a mess in a lot of ways, though I still love it dearly.

On a side note: are there any gender mods out there yet? I don't really care too much, but I wouldn't mind playing as a male High Elf, just for the extra immersion.

Edited by GreenMagic469